Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

A horse of course

Playing a few slightly modded campaigns, I've noticed that Wood Elf AI factions in the Grand Campaign are alarmingly quick to conquer multiple nearby factions and dominate parts of the map. Browsing the forums and plebbit it seems other users are noticing the same thing. You can probably guess the reason: Wood Elf campaign "balance" is built around cutting off the player at the knees with numerous debuffs and restrictions, none of which apply to AI factions, so WE are basically fucking Mordor if you're not playing them yourself. Classic CA.

B
R
A
V
O

Anyway a marketing bullshot for Bretonnia and the first transsexual Legendary Lord:
Big_battle02_small.jpg

wEiD5lx.jpg
Fay_poster_image_blue.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
The biggest reason the WE expand quickly is that they end up starting to confederate by Turn 10. A human WE has to wait until the Oak of Ages is Lvl. 3 before being able to do so.

It's a big deal because every Elven settlement is - essentially - a capital settlement. So they start to snowball early.

I'm currently playing with the Steel Faith overhaul, and while I've also seen the WE expand early, they've been contained in Bretonnia/Athel Loren for over a hundred turns (I'm playing as Empire and have had no real interaction with them until the Chaos invasion). Honestly, this mod is pretty easy to recommend. Balance feels a bit better than either vanilla or the other popular overhaul mods (Lorehammer/Radious). The Chaos invasion is tough, but not like Lorehammer's nine full stacks of elite Chaos troops. I can still remember seeing four Hellcannons (each with three gold chevrons; you do not know pain until you've seen these things in action) per stack and just laughing.

A horse of course

It's not just that tbh. I usually play with No Confederations (AKA massive fucking cheat for main AI factions) mod and both Orion and Durthu are still able to conquer or raze significant portions of land. My understanding is that AI WE don't even use the Amber mechanic, though I could be mistaken.

I usually don't play megamods for TW games. They change too much shit and I'm incredibly anal about knowing what's going on behind the scenes.

A horse of course

So CA doesn't do game of the year/complete editions anymore, right?

Essentially, no. They've started doing re-releases with a different name at full price (Rome 2 Imperator Edition, Warhammer Old World Edition) or bundled with a portion of the DLC (Attila Tyrants and Kings Edition) and then require you to buy everything else separately.

Luckily it looks as if Denuvo just got cucked, so who knows what the future may bring :smug:

A horse of course

https://forums.totalwar.com/discuss...ducing-battle-map-editing-find-out-more-here/

Unfortunately we can’t release a Campaign Map Editing tool for TW:WARHAMMER, as it doesn’t exist. The way we build the campaign map at CA is through a series of processes involving a mix of tech we make and 3rd party tools we don’t own the right to distribute, within a development version of the game. This is the best way for us to create our games, and we don’t use an all-in-one editor that you might be thinking of.

While it is theoretically possible to create an editor like this, it wouldn’t benefit our development process, would take us a long time and delay the next Total War releasing and would mean that we’d be making an editor and not a game, which is what we would much rather do.

Nope - as it says above, the editor isn't the same for campaign as it is for multiplayer/custom so it wouldn't work with this one.

XzgoGMt.jpg

And zilch about Bretonnia, despite it being due within the month.
kHwKCDN.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
$12 for the base game on Humble Monthly + other games to be delivered at a set date. By far the lowest amount you'll pay. Base game only, though.

with these dlcs infested games you go either full retard or not at all, mostly because most of the time those games were built as a whole and then divided into further payments. makes no sense buying a crippled product.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Strange pricing strategy - their lowest discount so far was 25% and now it's in the monthly bundle.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, getting it at that price, then waiting for sales on the important DLCs. Seems like one could get away with <= 50$ total, after all.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Strange pricing strategy - their lowest discount so far was 25% and now it's in the monthly bundle.

They're counting on you buying the DLC. Hell, Attila DLC bundled together and discounted was recently going for 25-30€ on Bundlestars daily deal. Saddest thing is this is still by far the best price you'll get for Warhammer in probably a long time short of hitting up G2A or something when people start dumping their HB keys.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
with these dlcs infested games you go either full retard or not at all, mostly because most of the time those games were built as a whole and then divided into further payments. makes no sense buying a crippled product.

It's like Blood Bowl 2 was on sale for ~10€ not long ago. Getting the rest of the game was 50€ more. Such discounts.

You have to wait for "GOTY"/whatever editions with all the DLC to get any real discount.

kris

Arcane

while you are tru in spirit i would say that the most enjoyable campaigns in this game are the non-dlcs ones and you dont need the DLC to have the other factions on the map. so IMO you could at this point get out most of the game with just the base game.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess it's worth trying the game for 10 bucks even if you hated Rome 2?

A horse of course

I guess, but then you'd have to pay 60 bucks just for the first "season" of DLC. And you'll be playing an inferior version of the game that it will become when all the factions are added. Battle and campaign mechanics are extremely limited in comparison to previous titles, where the devs could build features around most of the factions being able to make use of the same framework. I wrote a positive review a while back, but I really think you're screwing yourself by not waiting.

Personally, I would not advise getting it without being aware of those factors.

edit: obviously I'm talking to people who aren't Warhammer-nuts

A horse of course

qgZdZAz.jpg

Bretonnia will be free and available for everyone on 28th February 2017. It's time to get Fay-ly hyped about it.

I thought they were supposed to be releasing 3 months later in exchange for more content and polishing and shit. So why do Grail Damsels still look like pensioners and the particle effects on Grail weapons worse than NWN1?

edit: another boring screenshot

ItaU8rX.jpg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I thought they were supposed to be releasing 3 months later in exchange for more content and polishing and shit. So why do Grail Damsels still look like pensioners and the particle effects on Grail weapons worse than NWN1?
Because NWN was kickass, and had great user made content.

Youngsters today are seriously underestimating corporate greed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom