Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

KK1001

Arbiter
The game is absolutely trash unmodded. I am glad to see they cut down on unnecessary micromanagement on the campaign map, but the battles themselves are still too short. Everything happens way too fast.

IMO main mod priorities:
- Changing the way morale works. Some units should be more resistant to the penalties imposed by the rest of the army fleeing. Not sure if Proper Combat Mod does this properly, but it seems to slow things down nicely enough.
- Magic often seems too weak. Why take a magic-based lord when you can just get a pumped up Franz or Vlad or Grimgor on a flying mount and get like 300 kills?

Good game otherwise. Definitely a step in the right direction. Looking forward to more content down the road.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Some units should be more resistant to the penalties imposed by the rest of the army fleeing. Not sure if Proper Combat Mod does this properly, but it seems to slow things down nicely enough.

The trait 'Disciplined' does this. Some units have it.

- Magic often seems too weak. Why take a magic-based lord when you can just get a pumped up Franz or Vlad or Grimgor on a flying mount and get like 300 kills?

There are definitely mods that do this. I think Cataph's one and SFO are the main magic boosters.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I agree that while magic in this game is fun, they tried too hard to counter-balance it that it isn't powerful enough and not worth it a lot of the time. Especially for lords, heroes are a bit better balanced.

Much more powerful magic with less manapool could be great, especially in terms of direct damage spells, buffs and debuffs on the whole seem fine. I feel like a lot of direct damage spells do much less than a melee fighter lord can do while at the same time melee fighters are usually great for soaking damage and creating local superiority as well.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Much more powerful magic with less manapool could be great

or we could just not be pussies and make magic great again. you can already only use like 5 spell castings a match, do we really need to bring it down to 3?

i would have no problem with fireballs or metal magic being able to take out 3 or 4 entire units every match, its magic, its supposed to be powerful.

FreeKaner

Much more powerful magic with less manapool could be great

or we could just not be pussies and make magic great again. you can already only use like 5 spell castings a match, do we really need to bring it down to 3?

i would have no problem with fireballs or metal magic being able to take out 3 or 4 entire units every match, its magic, its supposed to be powerful.

Yes but then it throws the balance off the rails. Make magic powerful that it takes entire units out but if you make it so you can do that too many times in a single combat then we are at the opposite end of same problem. Melee lords should be good at melee, holding a position, creating local superiority and soaking damage, caster ones should be able to just straight up remove units in return, while also being able to provide utility. Magic being powerful is exactly what I want as well, that's why I think it should be used more scarcely but made much more powerful, so you are getting more value out of it than you do currently, but not so much more that there is no point doing anything else than micromanaging your casters to spam as many spells as possible.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does magic still scale badly with unit size? direct damage spells used to be crap at ultra, while buffing remained consistent.

A horse of course

Does magic still scale badly with unit size? direct damage spells used to be crap at ultra, while buffing remained consistent.

yes

Assassinating Lords with direct damage spells like Life Leech is still very much doable though.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Any impressions/recommendations you guys can offer with regards to rebalance mods?

I've just started a campaign with Vlad, but I arcadey battles get me bored quickly. I already have experience with them from my campaign with the Dwarfs. At some point I nearly stopped playing battles manually.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks, will try it out.

BTW A 25% sale on DLCs is going on right now, and until the 20th. The game itself is at 50%. Only the wood elves are not discounted. I got Chaos warriors, blood, and the dwarfs new lords. I'm still not in a hurry to play a beastmen campaign, and I believe they'll do another bigger discount at least once more this year where I'll be able to get the beastmen. The "The Grim and the Grave" on the other hand, just doesn't sound interesting to me.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Well, I have one full campaign with dwarfs, one about halfway with vampires, and one full with vampires which my wife played. 148 hours total. Even with the dlcs I just bought, this comes down to less than 50c. per hour. Even less if I hadn't bought the base game at full price. And I still haven't played Chaos, Greenskins, Empire, Bretonnia. I guess I could spend at least 200-250 more hours with these. And I wouldn't say the game isn't fun, it's still that addictive one turn's plans tie into the next turn gameplay. What I tend to be most interested in though are the bits that tell about the world, characters, and factions - the campaign and the battles both feel simplified compared to older TW games. I've played all of them since Shogun up to Rome II, without Empire.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Probably, unless they have decided to un-streamline the campaign game mechanics. Like I said, I still have one or two full games' worth of playtime before I will have seen all the content of the current game, so WH2 will wait.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
The fact that TW:W is a trilogy using the same engine has been known since before the first game came out.

CA has been openly working on the second in the series since the first game went gold. Even the DLC team is now working on content for the second game. All signs point to the TW:W2 coming out this year, to capitalize on the large player base and momentum. They're not going to want to wait too long in between TW:W content.

There's an event on 31 March for which CA has already announced 'TW:W future content' reveals. There's a high chance for a trailer drop on the day.

EDIT:

For those who weren't aware, the second game is expected to have the Dark Elves, High Elves, Lizardmen and possibly Skaven. Alternatively, the Skaven might be DLC. Apart from a standalone map, the game will also feature a joint TW:W1/TW:W2 map for owners of both.

Naval combat is more or less confirmed as not being in, due to Man-o-War being licensed to another game developer.

bonescraper

Is naval combat happening?
Only in autoresolve. Warhammer Fantasy Battles is principally a game about land warfare, so that’s where we’re choosing to focus our efforts in terms of full battle simulation. There are some new sea-related campaign features that we will detail in the future.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So they're pretending Man O'War doesn't exist. Maybe there are some licensing shenanigans involved considering this is GW we're talking about.

FreeKaner

So they're pretending Man O'War doesn't exist. Maybe there are some licensing shenanigans involved considering this is GW we're talking about.

I don't think so. It sounds to me like there will be naval units, including battle and transportation units, there will just no "combat" involved in the sense you won't fight with units personally but will auto-resolve, think paradox games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom