Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So they're pretending Man O'War doesn't exist. Maybe there are some licensing shenanigans involved considering this is GW we're talking about.
You got a decent enough Man O' War Corsair video game, maybe that's why.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I watched ElichTV today. And he had headaches and he had very correct and detailed remarks against Warhammer, and CA. He provided detailed analysis of butchering original design, content, and he talked about orbital tracking satellite which makes chaos warriors hard to play against AI.

"They are using theirs spy satellite and they are seeing what you are eating, what you are shitting..."

Last edited:

sovijus

Educated
Hey I remember this guy. A year or so back I asked him what he prefers, older TW games or new ones, he told me that he's not affected by nostalgia and he's not a hipster and that newer ones are obviously superior. There must be something seriously wrong with TW if even this casual guy has started to whine.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Hey I remember this guy. A year or so back I asked him what he prefers, older TW games or new ones, he told me that he's not affected by nostalgia and he's not a hipster and that newer ones are obviously superior. There must be something seriously wrong with TW if even this casual guy has started to whine.
He has kinda a point.
While old Rome and Medieval were made with passion, they had flaws. While CA remedied these flaws, they also removed part of what previous games did right.
City building for Rome was limited to Romans, and other factions were hurt by it.
Medieval was hurt by not having proper map, and more details.
M2 by removing some traits from characters and by few other things.
Empire by 2 turns per year instead of 4. Well unlimited ammo could be remedied by 20 minute battles. Problems with trade treaties reduced need for all these trade points and naval battles. 1.5 cracked version was very nice.
Shogun was better game at release, battles were paused by space, and with pausing it felt much more tactical and morale worked.
Rome II was with simplified buildings, unbreakable morale, and multiplayer balanced battles.
WH they basically used old bad building model, and added denuvo. Game is playable year later. And price of DLC is so high they allowed it on humble bundle monthly and assumed they would earn money on DLCs.

Technically newer games are superior aside of these flaws with economy buildings (and major degeneration in some areas). But CA is really acting against players, and earning money at all costs isn't pretty.

I just looked at twitch and number of players who are actually streaming, and watchers is quite bad.
Warhammer 163 on elichtv, but the rest of streamers have 36 together.
Rome II has one streamer with incredible 31 viewers.
And there is one hopeless person who is playing Shogun 2 blind. 2 viewers.

Now lets compare it to DS3. Over 20 streams, and Lobosjr is doing Pyro run.
Compare it to flawed game like Civ VI. I will not count the top stream because it's quill, but the rest of streams have 62 viewers.
Civ V is still running strong.

Sturmgewehr44

Novice
Total Warhammer is definitely superior in graphics and the variety of units, but somehow I still found myself going back to Shogun II and Medieval II instead of playing TW.

Vibalist

Arcane
The game has improved massively with the introduction of the new factions (mainly Wood Elves and Bretonnia) because they play very differently than the other factions. Unfortunately, this also serves to highlight how (relatively) samey the five core factions are, despite some small differences (Chaos excepted).

Warhammer is definitely the most varied TW in terms of faction mechanics, though. It's quite an achievement and I wish they'd go back and revise The Empire, The Dwarves, The Vampires and The Greenskins to make them more unique.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The game has improved massively with the introduction of the new factions (mainly Wood Elves and Bretonnia) because they play very differently than the other factions. Unfortunately, this also serves to highlight how (relatively) samey the five core factions are, despite some small differences (Chaos excepted).

Warhammer is definitely the most varied TW in terms of faction mechanics, though. It's quite an achievement and I wish they'd go back and revise The Empire, The Dwarves, The Vampires and The Greenskins to make them more unique.

Only Empire and Dwarves are samey even then their battle plan tends to be different because of dawi's lack of cavalry and being slow in general. Vampire counts and Greenskins play vastly differently, both from each other and from Empire and Dwarves. I don't know what you think of past total war games if you think the core 4 factions are samey.

I disagree that faction differences between each other also has to be equivalent, not every faction needs to be as distant from each other as Beastmen and Wood elves are from each other for example. It's fine some factions are closer together and some are farther apart.

Sturmgewehr44

Novice
The "amount" of difference between factions definitely shouldn't be a focus but making them different period is a good focus, it adds replayability when I start up a game as a different faction and have to adopt a different playstyle to survive.

Vibalist

Arcane
Only Empire and Dwarves are samey even then their battle plan tends to be different because of dawi's lack of cavalry and being slow in general. Vampire counts and Greenskins play vastly differently, both from each other and from Empire and Dwarves. I don't know what you think of past total war games if you think the core 4 factions are samey.

It boils down to victory conditions and objectives, really.

The Wood Elves are a race of raiders who can focus on holding a few settlements while defending their forest and making alliances. The Bretons are a race of chivalrous knights who can get away with turtling for most of their campaign while slowly filling up their chivalry meter (although they do turn expansionist at the end). The rest of the races have one real objective: Conquer everything (or any portion of the map belonging to the designated enemy). With the WE, I hold around 12 settlements and I'm on the verge of victory, because their play conditions vary enormously from that of the other races. I can stay in my forest, make strategic alliances, conquer a few key settlements and then have enough amber to restore the Oak of Ages.

The Wood Elves and Bretons' playstyles are focused around their factions mechanics (amber and chivalry, respectively). Can you say that about any of the core races? They have unique faction mechanics, yes, such as fightiness and raise dead, but these never tie into the main objectives or the playstyle. Ostensibly, the Greenskins ought to be the race whose objective simply is to steamroll everything, not at least due to their unique attrition mechanic that makes their soldiers die if they're simply standing around. But the Empire needs to do exactly the same. So do the Dwarves and the Vampire Counts. This is why they feel samey to me, although I do agree they have vastly different units and faction traits.

I'm not expecting CA to do anything about this, that would be unreasonable by now. I just think the new factions add an amount of variety to Total War I've never seen before and the core experience feels stale in comparison.

Last edited:

A horse of course

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-07-06-17/

NEW CONTENT TEAM

The ‘Old Friend’ will indeed be our next content drop for WARHAMMER, it’s tied to an event later in the summer. I know there’s some excitement, but it’s just a small thing that we wanted to do. Think along the lines of the Blood Knight Free-LC, rather than lords or anything. Not saying it’s a unit specifically, but that sort of scale addition to the game. The event gave us the chance to do something, so we took it.

Having said that, I can say it won’t be the last addition to WARHAMMER. As mentioned in the previous blog a few months ago, we’d been thinking about what sort of content could be added to the first game, and what that might be. We’ve hit on something we think is a pretty good opportunity to add some more content to the game, so there will be a new Race Pack released later in the year, before WARHAMMER II is released.

No, it’s not Kislev (sorry!), but the New Content team have got some rather unique gameplay mechanics for this new Race, and it will come with a small update to the main game and a Free-LC drop. This particular Free-LC will benefit not only main game owners, but also DLC owners too this time.

Otherwise, the New Content team are in the early concept and design stages for the first WARHAMMER II DLC out post-launch.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Wild guess. They are adding Skaven to WH because they would be in WH II. Thus they would have models already and would need to have them in base game to ensure MP compatibility.

But adding Skaven to the first game would kill expansion sales.

dont know if anyone is still intrested but last week GOTY version was released...

by steampunks not CA :troll:
works flawlessly for me :dance:

A horse of course

Yeah, I noticed it was up on Fitgirl's site. It could be a pain dealing with mods since they're hosted on the workshop and need to be updated for every little update, which might make it hard to get hold of old versions if the cracked versions aren't updated in a timely manner.

Is this game extremely CPU limited? I'm getting similar (shit) framerates at 4k and 1080p on a GTX 1070 - hovers around 30-40fps most of the time. I'm running an old i5 3570k at 4.5GHZ, never gave me a problem.

I haven't tested Directx 12 because it crashes during loading.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Is this game extremely CPU limited? I'm getting similar (shit) framerates at 4k and 1080p on a GTX 1070 - hovers around 30-40fps most of the time. I'm running an old i5 3570k at 4.5GHZ, never gave me a problem.

I haven't tested Directx 12 because it crashes during loading.
They just generated correct Denuvo licence, and it uses Denuvo behind the scenes. Enjoy the same speed legal users are enjoying. Do you think it's not CPU heavy to process several millions heavily encrypted triggers per half hour? How much RAM do you have?

But I recently tried Attila on GTX 660 and I reduced few graphic stuff to get it responsive. CA is quite bad in coding.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would say games with hundreds or thousands of units on the battlefield at the same time are CPU limited by default. Though your CPU doesn't strike me as bad, so...
mystery.png

Last edited:
It's not particularly slow with a lot of units onscreen, just slow in general. Oh well. I guess it must be the millions of Denuvo triggers.

edit: I'd buy it if they hadn't gone full nickel and dime mode with the DLC. I miss the days of game of the year Total War editions.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom