Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

kris

Arcane
In my recent game as Orks Grimgor got a trait: "friend with dwarfs". :nocountryforshitposters:

Still cannot manage a win with Dwarves or Empire without losing interest or rage quitting.

why would that be?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
why would that be?
With Empire, I begin to grow bored and/or overextended. For example, I was defeating the remaining Vampire Counts, when two to three Norsca doomstacks dropped on Marienburg. Nothing I had in Marienburg or Reikland could survive that many stacks, and I just did not feel like playing 20 turns of cleanup.

With Dwarves, my first 50 turns are fantastic, but around turn 60-80 something awful happens. Typically, that awful event is a combination of one or more of the orc factions getting a doomstack and beastmen hordes running from the other side of the map to punish me for moving out to face the orcs. It is not impossible to stop, but it just grows tedious chasing armies across the map, all the while accruing grudges. I cannot tell you how many grudges I have gained just because someone walked across the corner of my territory, and then proceed to run all the way north, which leads to my next gripe. I just do not like the grudge system as implemented. I wish it was like the Norsca monster hunting mechanic.

I do plan to finish Empire eventually.

Beowulf

Arcane
I'm going to start playing this soon, so I ask you, monocled brethren, for a guidance regarding mods.

Main thing I'm looking for is slower battles that are not a clickfest, and some campaign improvements, like AI recruitment fixes, so it won't spam chaff constantly for example.

Should I go for this SFO mod, that everyone raves about, or for something akin to:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...war-game-warhammer.96487/page-78#post-5311500

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I'm going to start playing this soon, so I ask you, monocled brethren, for a guidance regarding mods.

Main thing I'm looking for is slower battles that are not a clickfest, and some campaign improvements, like AI recruitment fixes, so it won't spam chaff constantly for example.

Should I go for this SFO mod, that everyone raves about, or for something akin to:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...war-game-warhammer.96487/page-78#post-5311500
I would vote for SFO. SFO in Warhammer 1 was great. In Warhammer 2, they got more ambitious, and so there are a lot of new or revised features. The nice part is that they typically break the features into separate mods, so if you dislike one, you can just turn it off.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I don't know about how modular SFO is (I haven't tinkered with it enough to tell), but between Vanilla, Radious and SFO I would go with SFO. There's another one called Choices and Consequences that seems interesting but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Battles will go pretty quick regardless of which of these you pick. You'd have to do some more digging around to find something that would improve on that, because TWW2 battles simply go faster by design. Campaign is definitely improved in SFO, imo, and is the main reason why I prefer it over the others.

Also, Better Camera is absolutely necessary.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Do first play without MODs. And if you are playing blind, don't make hideout in Kislev. (CA didn't added any grateful period for you to recover, thus if you save everyone, next turn you'd find yourself under 10 backstabbing knives which even vampires can't survive.)

Also play without Denuvo.

BTW majority of legal users are bitching there is no Norsca for WH II, thus avoid WH II until they would add Norsca. Considering they didn't implemented naval battles, the whole two continents feels shitty.

razvedchiki

Erudite
i tried this warhammer with sfo and what not,and noticed that the arqebusiers dont have a reload animation,next click was uninstall exe.

seriously though i cant stomach the butchered city management,the unit grafics that look like plastic and the absolutely horrendus battle system that lacks even the most basic features from older total wars.
not to mention that the empire and the dwarfs didnt have any regiment of renown,only some veteran retarded named units.(dlcs dont count).
why they even bother anymore,just make make it a mobile game with microtransactions.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Yeah lazy cunt devs are using textures from 2008 or something TW games look like ass

Srsly the point of the game is to be like “omg lookat teh epic unitz fight WoWOwOwOwOwO” but you can’t see shit besides graininess and mudiness because graphics suck shiiiiiiit

Also the game runs like shit even if you have like 8gb VRAM modern monster computer

Game came out in 2017 what a disgrace seriously WoW from 2001 looks better lmao

New one is flopping too lmao

http://steamcharts.com/search/?q=Total+war

Now compare those graphics to Forza 7 (my favorite game):

THIS IS 2017 GRAPHCIS BABY!!!!!!!!

Also compare TW to Forza Horizons 3 (my 2nd favorite game):

WOOOOO LOOK AT THEM 2016 GRAPHICS BABBYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

I got hot sluts sucking me off in my boogati while i’m racing a motherfucking TRAIN and yo ass is watching grainy lizard men smash up against dwarfs lmao

Lmao

Lmao

Lmao

Lmao

Lmao

Beowulf

Arcane
That was certainly an interesting comparison and great usage of modern slang to enhance non-standard post composition, have my brofist.

Anyway, I tried this SFO mod, but it seems like they went overboard with Monster units HP, as they can obliterate almost everything.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
That was certainly an interesting comparison and great usage of modern slang to enhance non-standard post composition, have my brofist.

Anyway, I tried this SFO mod, but it seems like they went overboard with Monster units HP, as they can obliterate almost everything.
"Elite" monsters and units are borderline overtuned, but can get dumped by magic and anti-large or armor piercing.

Bretonnia feels great in SFO. Many of the units were buffed, but scaled back in unit size. For example, SFO reduced the size of Grail Guardians from 50 units in size to about 3 units. Those 3 units are fatigue immune, have high speed, high melee and defense stats, and have magic resistance. It reinforces the feeling of a small elite cavalry force against horde armies. My favorite fight was my 225 sized army against an 1,100+ sized undead army (3 separate undead armies combined).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How does SFO deal with agents?

I found them an incredible nuisance in vanilla, both to deal with enemy ones (the chasing! my god...) and fiddling around with your own.
Removing them was probably the best thing they did in Britannia. And possibly the only good thing :lol:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
How does SFO deal with agents?

I found them an incredible nuisance in vanilla, both to deal with enemy ones (the chasing! my god...) and fiddling around with your own.
Removing them was probably the best thing they did in Britannia. And possibly the only good thing :lol:
If I recall correctly, it could be annoying for any agent outside my main stack, but I do not remember it being as bad as Warhammer 1.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Go around the problem by nullifying their ability to take action against the player with any of a number of mods (eg Stupid Heroes Mod) that do exactly that. All of them would be compatible with SFO.

tabacila

Augur
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/8hwwot/can_you_spot_ungrim_ironfist/
More teases of changes coming to Mortal Empires. Seems like Dwarfs are getting another start position and a different faction for Ungrim.
Some sort of crafting mechanic seems to be coming their way also, not that there wasn't already a mod that added that. Probably just copy-pasted form the Tomb Kings, but gives me hope the Empire may receive some love.

Playing this now. Is it just me or is Cavalry nigh worthless for anything but running down retreating units? I line up behind an engaged trash spear unit, charge with an experienced heavy cav (reiksguard), get roughly 5 kills on the charge then they turn around and slaughter me. I know about the charge->retreat->charge semi-exploit, but that's so tedious and takes lots of time. And it seems there's no more chain panicking like in earlier TWs, you have to rout almost every unit individually before the whole army routs, so if you're relying on cavalry you need to manually flank and charge the anuses of most of the line.

On the other hand ranged attacks seem pretty OP, focus 3 archers on 1 archer and a single salvo almost sends them packing after killing 50% of the unit. Flanking with archers does serious damage. I'm not 100% sure on the stats and mechanics but it seems the DPS of range attacks far outstrips that of melee once you take into consideration that only 1/3rd of so of melee units are actually fighting at any one time, the rest sit back and wait to move up the ranks.

Also fuck the difficulty penalties on the campaign map. -12 Public Order on Legendary because fuck you. I think Wood Elves are essentially unplayable since their 4 cities are all one province per region and can only get like +3 PO, meaning no matter what you do you'll fight a revolt or two every turn the entire game (and no walls, so if the towns aren't garrisoned then the rebels will immediately invade and pillage it). I know there's a mod to remove the PO penalty but that's like half the intended difficulty, are there any mods that restructure the campaign map difficulty over all?

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Playing this now. Is it just me or is Cavalry nigh worthless for anything but running down retreating units? I line up behind an engaged trash spear unit, charge with an experienced heavy cav (reiksguard), get roughly 5 kills on the charge then they turn around and slaughter me. I know about the charge->retreat->charge semi-exploit, but that's so tedious and takes lots of time. And it seems there's no more chain panicking like in earlier TWs, you have to rout almost every unit individually before the whole army routs, so if you're relying on cavalry you need to manually flank and charge the anuses of most of the line.

On the other hand ranged attacks seem pretty OP, focus 3 archers on 1 archer and a single salvo almost sends them packing after killing 50% of the unit. Flanking with archers does serious damage. I'm not 100% sure on the stats and mechanics but it seems the DPS of range attacks far outstrips that of melee once you take into consideration that only 1/3rd of so of melee units are actually fighting at any one time, the rest sit back and wait to move up the ranks.

Also fuck the difficulty penalties on the campaign map. -12 Public Order on Legendary because fuck you. I think Wood Elves are essentially unplayable since their 4 cities are all one province per region and can only get like +3 PO, meaning no matter what you do you'll fight a revolt or two every turn the entire game (and no walls, so if the towns aren't garrisoned then the rebels will immediately invade and pillage it). I know there's a mod to remove the PO penalty but that's like half the intended difficulty, are there any mods that restructure the campaign map difficulty over all?
Depends on the faction, Bretonnia and High Elves have some neat cavalry options that can wrack up a lot of kills. What direction are you charging from, specifically from the back or side? Are the units braced (i.e., some units get charge defense if standing still for long enough)? Another issue is that some cavalry unit have more armor penetration and/or anti-infantry bonuses than others. Statwise, some cavalry are suited to sniping monster units or heavy armored elites, but less effective against general infantry units.

Edit: Also, if I recall correctly, cavalry need to fully accelerate before they receive the charge bonus.

Last edited:
Reiksguard say they are anti-infantry. I don't see any specific bonuses to anti-infantry stats on the card but I assumed a 250 upkeep cavalry charging into the back of a 80 upkeep spearmen (other Empire-type faction) that is already engaged in melee with my own line troops would work well, instead they lost around 1/4th of their strength before the spearmen routed. They don't look too much worse compared to Bretonnia's cavalry comparing them in custom battles, in fact their charge bonus in the 60s is almost double the charge bonus of Bretonnia's anti-infantry cavalry. Maybe they need a larger distance to speed up or something.

Aside from that I've noticed that units seem to really tire quickly in battle in TWW. Walking/Running doesn't do much but 20s of shooting something or fighting in melee and everyone becomes exhausted. Not sure how that affects things, does exhaustion screw your charge bonus or something? At least it doesn't seem to matter much for firing crossbows.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Reiksguard say they are anti-infantry. I don't see any specific bonuses to anti-infantry stats on the card but I assumed a 250 upkeep cavalry charging into the back of a 80 upkeep spearmen (other Empire-type faction) that is already engaged in melee with my own line troops would work well, instead they lost around 1/4th of their strength before the spearmen routed. They don't look too much worse compared to Bretonnia's cavalry comparing them in custom battles, in fact their charge bonus in the 60s is almost double the charge bonus of Bretonnia's anti-infantry cavalry. Maybe they need a larger distance to speed up or something.

Aside from that I've noticed that units seem to really tire quickly in battle in TWW. Walking/Running doesn't do much but 20s of shooting something or fighting in melee and everyone becomes exhausted. Not sure how that affects things, does exhaustion screw your charge bonus or something?
That's far worse than I expected. What formation was the Reiksguard in? Were they spread in a thin line (maximum damage) or a blob (minimized damage) by chance?

Recently, Bretonnia received a nice buff to lance formation (you can charge right through certain enemy formations and goon casters, etc.) and buffs to melee defense/attack.

The Reiksguard was spread pretty thin, AFAIK it's best to spread every unit as thing as possible, right?

Also how strong can Heroes/Lords really get? On first glance it seems to me that the personal combat development lines are trash, but does doing that with 3 or 4 heroes in an army + good equipment let you solo entire armies or something? They were always trash in historical total war games (for good reason, shouldn't be expecting generals to fight like gods), but given the fact that this is WH and there are so many equipment options it sort of begs the question whether its viable.

Quatlo

Arcane
Is this your first Total War? You never let your cavalry engage, you just charge, retreat, charge, retreat.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I did not realize Reiksguard were that bad lol. The rule of thumb I learned is that spread cavalry lines do more damage, but also tire faster.

Lords/Heroes can become very strong, especially with healing and items. In my experience, High Elf, Lizardmen, and Vampire Count heroes could wreck enemy armies. It also helps to have terror/fear or items that grant terror/fear. In screws up the enemy armies, especially orc/skaven. Use Spirit Leach to goon enemy heroes and units.

Is this your first Total War? You never let your cavalry engage, you just charge, retreat, charge, retreat.

Feels dumb and gamey. Every TW I've played if you're fighting anything less than the top quality morale units a good charge to the back of an already engaged infantry unit with heavy cav sends them running almost immediately. WH (possibly due higher difficulty bonuses?) seems to have everyone but skaven hang around way longer before routing

Lords/Heroes can become very strong, especially with healing and items. In my experience, High Elf, Lizardmen, and Vampire Count heroes could wreck enemy armies. It also helps to have terror/fear or items that grant terror/fear. In screws up the enemy armies, especially orc/skaven. Use Spirit Leach to goon enemy heroes and units.

Good to know. Vampires seem to play really weirdly compared to the rest I've tried so far.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, as a rule of thumb, don't charge cav into spearmen, regardless of whether it's from the front or rear. That said, I've never really seen rear-charging Reiksguard have problems putting any infantry unit away outside of the very top tier. Yours is an unusual experience.

What's your Bret comparison, anyway? The RG equivalent would be Questing Knights, who have better Melee Attack/Def and 48 damage (34 armour-piercing), compared to 40 for RG (12 armour-piercing).

Against any serious infantry unit, the Bret cav will mop the floor with the RG.

Feels dumb and gamey.

Okay, but you're letting your shock cav charge and then stick around in melee. They're not made for that. The reason why their charge bonus is so high, but their melee skill (att/def) is so low is that they're meant to disengage. If you want an easy way to manage it, press 'J' with the unit selected. It will disengage and retreat to a charging distance on its own.

Melee cav is its own thing. You can usually tell melee cav by the weapons (swords/greatswords) they use.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom