Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic's new free Unreal Tournament (development halted)

Astral Rag

Arcane
Is it just me or is there some weird stretching in those screenshots (specifically the 1st one)?
It's caused by an FOV above 70.
Isn't comfortable FOV like 120 or so?

Depends on the game, resolution, size of monitor and distance between player and monitor. A lot of first person popamoles tend to have stupidly low fovs, I couldn't play those games even if I wanted to.
I can't think of a single game I would play with a 120 fov though, for me and my current 27inch monitor the sweet spot is 100-110.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Those are some impresive graphics, but it looks like the guys at Epic Games will fail again at catching UT99's atmosphere and glorious art style.

pc-39990-31322983181.jpg

Glorious art style
UT has great artstyle, but that is one ugly screenshot, which doesn't do the game justice.

Marobug

UT has great artstyle, but that is one ugly screenshot, which doesn't do the game justice.

Well I beg to differ, the game looked like this 95% of the time, the large majority of the maps look super generic, specially today and the characters design doesn't really stand out from other sci fi games and movies. It all felt like a mishmash of several ideas from different modelers and designers that didn't glue together very well, even if you consider the context of the game.
Not saying the art style was terrible for the time, but it certainly wasn't the reason why most people played UT.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Yeah, that idea is mostly bullshit, but the undesirable parts of UT's art style (ie. shitgrime industrial + 80s scifi illustration) aren't what won me over to the game anyways. It was more than serviceable.

Marobug

Well I beg to differ, the game looked like this 95% of the time
:rpgcodex:
E4D4429C82DDD70621B3B2AB57DE57C0ACD7F93E

B38033DF219D4C940E317D3331286727DFB72EC0

phobos.jpg

1C6C6B335A260C8575FBE62F4A1D94C0DD704C73

4DDE6ACC81962B9ED4EBDF4B010AF48ABD7C96B6

11C75551A2C6DC154D86DBC93411CEFDC2EFFFF5

3E31076860BCDD461E0631B810875888AB3D1337

Well except for the gothic style maps which are part of the other 5%, the art style doesn't change much when compared to the screenshot I posted, does it?

btw I tried the pre alpha and holy shit. The game looks fucking gorgeous. Even better, I could barely have any time to stare at the scenario because the gameplay was so fast. This feels very much like old UT, certainly more so than any of the sequels.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
The Unreal series has always oscillated dramatically between art styles.

- Unreal & RtNP were a mix of ancient temples (a bit of fantasy - Vandora Temple), industrial factories (Raajigar) and surreal alien tech (Terraniux, Skaarj maps) with a few beautiful native landscapes spread around.

- Unreal Tournament 99 got some of the old map styles from Unreal, and added some gothic styled maps (DM-Gothic), as well as cyberpunk cities (Morpheus, CityIntro). The sleek sci-fi is also present (Hyperblast)

- Unreal Tournament 2003/4 saw a complete redesign of the series, with super shiny hi-tech environments (Flux, Hyperblast) contrasting with egyptian maps (???) and grimdark, metal-band-cover gothic maps and characters. Also, Gen Mo Kai out of nowhere

- Unreal Tournament 3 redesigned it once again, with a mix of brownish, overly-shaded maps that reminded us of Gears of War, with the addition of the Necris being less emo-goth and more Gigeresque, as well as the addition of asian-themed maps (first time in the series i believe?)

- I won't mention Unreal 2 because some members here would implode upon reading about it

So we see that the series bounced back and forth between completely different, and sometimes even opposing art styles. Compare Terraniux with DM-Gothic with Antalus with any of the asian maps from UT3... they hardly seem like the same series. At this rate, anything they do will both look like Unreal, and not look at all like Unreal - it just depends on which Unreal we're looking at.

Edit: Not sure if posted yet but Sniper Rifle concept:

Sniper_rough01.jpg

Again with this recurring theme: looks awesome but not like Unreal at all

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Unreal and UT99 looked best. UT2003/4whatever never did anything for me. I never even bothered playing UT3.

Graphics look good, but we'll see how the art style pans out when we get to see other type of styles and environments. That art concept screams of iFag hipsterism. You see that kind of "tech" style in a lot modern movies as well.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I hope not every level would look like just made sterile futuristic bathroom of white plastic and neon lights, with lots of hexagonal cells to remind us that we are now in the future indeed.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
I hope not every level would look like just made sterile futuristic bathroom of white plastic and neon lights, with lots of hexagonal cells to remind us that we are now in the future indeed.

If these guys understand what Unreal means, hopefully it won't. Lets add some crazy ass temples and industrial maps like DM-Pressure.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Does the angle of the weapons look better if you adjust the field of view? It looks so weird in the video, particularly compared to those shots of the original, where the angle is perfect.

Machocruz

Arcane
:bounce:

Does anyone know if the sniper rifle from 99 is coming back? Something about how you had this scoped M-16/M-10 type weapon among all these insane future guns appealed to my gun fetishism. I would spend hours drawing M16s and custom pistols, obsess over the various details between different assault rifles, etc.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
:bounce:

Does anyone know if the sniper rifle from 99 is coming back? Something about how you had this scoped M-16/M-10 type weapon among all these insane future guns appealed to my gun fetishism. I would spend hours drawing M16s and custom pistols, obsess over the various details between different assault rifles, etc.

Its in one of my previous posts. Here's the image. What do you think?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom