Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic's new free Unreal Tournament (development halted)

DraQ

Arcane
It all felt like a mishmash of several ideas from different modelers and designers that didn't glue together very well, even if you consider the context of the game.
Actually, that was one of the upsides because at least it meant diverse levels.
Compare with Quake 3 where everything was the same shit repeated over and over.

Unreal and UT99 looked best. UT2003/4whatever never did anything for me. I never even bothered playing UT3.
Unreal and UT shared engine so they had the same sort of crisp and clear looks that worked out the best in the series.

As for the art style, Unreal was by far the best.
UT was kind of bastardized Unreal most of the time, with a lot of boring looking industrial maps - of course, since it had pretty much all the Unreal's assets and used BSP geometry you could create surreal masterpieces in it too.
UT2k3/2k4 were mostly "I WANT TO BE A QUAKE 3", and for some reason looked worse than UT due to the lack of crispness and clarity (they were often too busy too) and due to having worse art style.
UT3 was a mixed bag - on one hand better and far more consistent art style than any UT prior to it with some callbacks to Unreal (compare miniguns, for instance), on the other smeared with stupid amount of postprocessing effects, having derpy GoW influences (like dudebros and nukralls that looked like burn victims) and often going way overboard with business of both environments and weapons (also had UT2k4 style RL and UTC2 flak - fuck these losers).

- I won't mention Unreal 2 because some members here would implode upon reading about it
If you do I'll start posting screenshots of it in self defense and turn the place into one huge Prosperland.
:prosper:
No one will survive.

Sniper_rough01.jpg

Again with this recurring theme: looks awesome but not like Unreal at all
I don't know about awesome, looks like long range hair dryer.
:M

:bounce:

Does anyone know if the sniper rifle from 99 is coming back? Something about how you had this scoped M-16/M-10 type weapon among all these insane future guns appealed to my gun fetishism. I would spend hours drawing M16s and custom pistols, obsess over the various details between different assault rifles, etc.
Never liked it (visually). Looked like converted M16 and didn't really fit.
The best SR model was either the one from Unreal (going for classic style) or the one from UT3 (going for more modern one).
Similarly pulse gun, minigun and shock rifle looked better in UT3 (although I really liked the beam effect of original UT shock rifle).

Baron Dupek

Arcane
That sniper rifle looks like horrible concept of uniracial weapons from someone, who took ergonomy course via royal mail. Letter was written by Wyrmlord's friends from tech support.

Israfael

Arcane
After i couldnt connect to any game, played a bit with bots, they suck big ass... I don't know, couldnt they just port the old ones from UT3 or UT99? Really didn't like the return of dodge jumps and other gimmicks from 2k3/2k4, weapons damage seems to be very low at this moment (headshot from sniper rifle doesnt one shot, meatshots from flak dont shred as well).

thesoup

Arcane
Alpha version exists. It's free and will remain so from what I understood.
www.unrealtournament.com
Download it and play it. Add me sexy boys. ;)
My handle is the same as my steam handle.

Impressions so far:
-gfx are nice and clean, pleasant on the eyes, not shiny distracting ass like ut3 was
-gunz feel good; spamming is nice, as is hitscan
-plenty of newblets who will hopefully stay and more will hopefully come
-movement is kinda like ut3 on the surface ii guess? it has ut movement plus wall dodge and apparently sliding, though i never tried sliding (tap crouch) so far
-has an editor for both maps and mods so you can do your shit

Ulminati Menckenstein Crispy

Let's make this the official UT4 thread and let's play some games so I can kick your asses.

thesoup

Arcane
Well fug, I knew there was a thread somewhere.
Mod is still a faggot because the OP was nice and clear and had a proper link.

also DURR ONE TOPIC PER GAME

thesoup

Arcane
Let's make that experiment. Make all of codex into just one single thread for 24h. DarkUnderlord

anyway Ulminati are you playing the game? what's your handle so i can add you if you are indeed playing. This thread needs duel screenies.

thesoup

Arcane
Thx infini. Now all that is left is to fill the thread with codex matchups. Do we have enough for a tdm?

Also, east coast kwa is the western limit for me and russia the eastern as far as server location goes. Sorry, ping is super important in this game. :(

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Game is pretty good, will be interesting to see in which way Epic decides to take UT4 from this point. At least this time we can really say that mods will fix it whatever stupid casual friendly stuff they may implement in the future.

I haven't played any previous installment of Unreal, but quite a few people from their forums are complaining about the lack of ways to effectively dodge incoming projectiles, like rockets, and some weapons like flak cannon are too much of a death sentence with little skill required. I kind of have to agree with that.

And half done maps are better than the new high-poly Outpost. :M

thesoup

Arcane
I have to agree that Outpost is indeed a shitty map. They should find another mascot map asap.

Also, I disagree with the complaints about projectiles. I comfortably avoided many shots at myself and won many close engagements relatively unscathed. Close combat has always been a bitch to new players. Skilled players always kept a distance if not at a significant hp advantage anyway.

thesoup

Arcane
I'd say rockets are faster and that flak is slower. Dodge isn't as wide, but there's walldodge so everything balances out more or less. It's all about positioning, like it always was.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Regarding projectiles - how fast are they compared to the original UT (also with regards to the actual player movement speed)?

Because most were already slow-ish in UT, for example RL.

Great video that shows how projectiles compare to UT99.

Rockets are definitely faster in the new UT and movement speed is currently slowest in the series.

Disgruntled

Savant
This game has some potential to be my goto FPS multiplayer. I want something a bit fresher after Quakelive.
But player numbers is where it counts in the end and I hope they manage to get this into a popular scene. Problem with niche shooters is that they are practically empty for guys like me who connect out of Aus, and higher ping are simply unplayable.

DraQ

Arcane
Amusingly, weapon effects look really lame compared to UT'99.

This includes dynamic lighting which was not just eyecandy in UT'99 but also offered a way to track position of projectile in space which was vital for things like ASMD combo.
Here it's just missing, while with modern lighting technology (dynamic shadows) it could not only be useful in traditional manner, but also help estimate areas shielded from he blast.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Regarding projectiles - how fast are they compared to the original UT (also with regards to the actual player movement speed)?

Because most were already slow-ish in UT, for example RL.

Great video that shows how projectiles compare to UT99.

Rockets are definitely faster in the new UT and movement speed is currently slowest in the series.

What the fuck is this fag listening to?

thesoup

Arcane
some stats so far
Ih788Wp.png

I honestly can't remember actually using the enforcer, let alone killing someone with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom