Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic's new free Unreal Tournament (development halted)

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
I remember it because of the MO-MO-MO-MONSTER KILLS with the sniper when camping at the tower and spawn-sniping people.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Maybe that new HyperBlast is also clean because they learn something about visibility and don't want to spoil dispaly with fancy lighting, HDR and bloom. Just like UT3.
I approve that idea, it's most important part in arena shooters to fight with opponents, not fuked up light.

Astral Rag

Arcane
"For the time being, builds are down, but they will be returning. Stay tuned."

Haven't tried to play this yet as I see little point in playing alpha versions of games this weird reboot of one of my favorite FPS.
ScreenShot00050.jpg

Deck3.jpg

Last edited:

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Not bad. Somewhere between UT99's and UT3's. Glad they went with the Enforcer instead of the Automag/Assault Rifle.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Have mutators and more specifically instagib been confirmed?

This is important for my classic UT experience.

Perkel

Arcane
What mutators ? This will be main gameplay as kids this day like 1 bullet 1 kill COD practice.

/s

yeah igib rock

Psquit

Arcane
I love the old industrial grimdark look of all the guns in UT99. If they can capture that feel again it will definitely sell more than UT3.

Ninjerk

Arcane
How long before Valve buys Epic Games and starts throwing skins and hats into this?

Perkel

Arcane
Why they would buy epic ?

You don't buy shitty studios. And epic currently is shitty studio because they don't have anything other than their engine, UT remake, gears of war IP which isn't their and forsomething that will fail hard.

Valve usually fishes for devs with intereting projects then use their production value and bank roll on someone else idea. Portal Team fortress dota you name it.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Why they would buy epic ?

You don't buy shitty studios. And epic currently is shitty studio because they don't have anything other than their engine, UT remake, gears of war IP which isn't their and forsomething that will fail hard.

Valve usually fishes for devs with intereting projects then use their production value and bank roll on someone else idea. Portal Team fortress dota you name it.
I would think the engine alone would be worth it.

Perkel

Arcane
Considering how Unity undercuts their business i don't think so. Margins are probably low as hell now that Crytek joined pack with their subscription model (though it is more shitty deal). Bigger AAA pubs now have their own engines and it is only matter of time when rest of them will finish their engines (like square still having problems with luminous)

Also let's not forget Source 2 which is in making for years (1st offcialy confirmed by Gabe when 4chan visited valve). Considering Valve usually hires only cream of devs we can expect safely it will be awesome (especially since Valve gone completely into modding and stuff).

Honestly i think Unity has currently biggest chance to became industry standard. UE3 had big share in 2005-2009 but since then less and less people are using it.

Angthoron

Arcane
Considering how Unity undercuts their business i don't think so.
Unity is a shitty low-budget engine with tons of optimization problems. How many non-budget games can you name that have released on Unity? It also just got sold off, new owners might go all sorts of interesting new directions with it.

Honestly i think Unity has currently biggest chance to became industry standard.
Oh yeah, now wouldn't that be fucking wonderful.

Just to compare, the super-popular upcoming industry standard level of use, and the shitty unpopular UE3 and 4:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unity_Engine_games

I'm not a fan of something as trivial as an engine, but as engines go, at least it isn't fucking Unity. It might be a whoopdeedoo wonderful thing for low-budget devs thanks to the libraries, but to a user, it's clunkiness, resource hoggine and (usually) unfriendliness to modding.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Considering how Unity undercuts their business i don't think so.
Unity is a shitty low-budget engine with tons of optimization problems. How many non-budget games can you name that have released on Unity? It also just got sold off, new owners might go all sorts of interesting new directions with it.

Honestly i think Unity has currently biggest chance to became industry standard.
Oh yeah, now wouldn't that be fucking wonderful.

Just to compare, the super-popular upcoming industry standard level of use, and the shitty unpopular UE3 and 4:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unity_Engine_games

I'm not a fan of something as trivial as an engine, but as engines go, at least it isn't fucking Unity. It might be a whoopdeedoo wonderful thing for low-budget devs thanks to the libraries, but to a user, it's clunkiness, resource hoggine and (usually) unfriendliness to modding.

I doesn't matter how easy or hard standard is or how shityy/good it is. Standards are created because many people starts to use it. Same as we don't have today poperpc standard but X86 in out pcs. or macos isn't standard.

Unreal Engine has boon of being longer on scene. And yet because UE is so perfect all around, Unity become thing. Shitty engine that everybody seems to learn today and announce their games on. Go to kickstarter and count games using unity and UE. Why that matter ? Because those devs in future will be now creating mostly Unity games not UE games. It is exactly same reason why Adobe Photoshop became standard. Because everyone learned on AP.

If you have memory problems Unity wasn't a thing to learn just 3 years ago and now it is a thing that made UE and Crytek change their licensing policies. You may have an opinion on Unity that it is shit engine but it doesn't change the fact that Unity is on rise.

As of problems of Unity i agree. But lets now forget everything is not set in stone. Just year or two ago people said their graphic pipeline is shit now it isn't that shitty.

abija

Prophet
I'm curious what kind of arguments would someone make for Unity against UE4 on a new project. Any type of game, even a 2d platformer.
And what I noticed on the rise it's not Unity but fed up devs switching from Unity to UE even though it involves a decent amount of work to do it mid project.

Angthoron

Arcane
I doesn't matter how easy or hard standard is or how shityy/good it is. Standards are created because many people starts to use it.
That's not exactly how industry standards work. You need influential players to pick it up. Biggest influential group I can see on Unity list is Ubi with a couple of budget titles. Furthermore, there's never been an industry-standard engine in gamedev as far as I know, just successful ones, and some more or less standard components (PhysX, SpeedTree). Even at the most monolythic of times you'd have at least 3 engines to pick from that would do mostly the same kind of stuff. And suddenly, Unity is going to beat the all of the most successful engines and become industry standard? Okay, sure. Call me back when there's a Unity-based reflex shooter with stable framerates, modern(ish?) graphics and non-laggy controls and I'll concede.

Unreal Engine has boon of being longer on scene. And yet because UE is so perfect all around, Unity become thing.
You know what also became a thing? Gamebryo. If you want to compare market segments, Unity is clawing at Gamebryo segment, not UE. And really, do take a look at the list of Unity games. It's nowhere near to becoming a thing yet.

Shitty engine that everybody seems to learn today and announce their games on. Go to kickstarter and count games using unity and UE.
Budget scaling. And now UE4 and UE3 offer the same model as Unity for indie devs, starting from some time this year. It's a tiny trickle of revenue to them compared to their regular contracts in the AAA, but it's there now.

Why that matter ? Because those devs in future will be now creating mostly Unity games not UE games.
Funny logic. Devs tend to learn to work with different engines to stay competitive on the market. Betting on one engine can be pretty disastrous.

It is exactly same reason why Adobe Photoshop became standard. Because everyone learned on AP.
Surely it also had something to do with corporate lobbying, education contacts, support competency, marketing, and dozens of other factors? Or do you actually believe that "People will choose the good thing"? Corel was pretty popular before PS, where's Corel now? Where's PaintShop Pro, something that everyone used when I was a teen? Why aren't OS editors a bigger thing? These are all rhetoric questions, but I do invite you to ponder on them on free time.

If you have memory problems Unity wasn't a thing to learn just 3 years ago and now it is a thing that made UE and Crytek change their licensing policies. You may have an opinion on Unity that it is shit engine but it doesn't change the fact that Unity is on rise.

If you have memory problems, we had a lot of shit coming out on GameBryo before. Now it'll be coming out on Unity. It's a low-budget, theoretically low-requirement engine. Your point? Crytek fucked itself up and needed to expand market share, UE had to follow suit to compete with CryTek, rather than because it's so worried about the gamebryo supplant. Also, I'm not even sure Unity existed as a fully featured engine 3 years ago, so, sure, it's on the rise compared to that.

Oh, and I do remember how Unity started its "rise" - it offered itself for throwaway prices to popular KS projects.

What's more interesting is whether CE and UE will manage to get into the indie scene properly or whether Unity already took that market (and offers better libraries).

As of problems of Unity i agree. But lets now forget everything is not set in stone. Just year or two ago people said their graphic pipeline is shit now it isn't that shitty.
It's still shit. Just like Gamebryo. Seriously, man, don't look at Unity as a challenger to UE, look at it as a Gamebryo replacement. After it does that, maybe it can consider becoming something major, but not really until that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm curious what kind of arguments would someone make for Unity against UE4 on a new project. Any type of game, even a 2d platformer.
And what I noticed on the rise it's not Unity but fed up devs switching from Unity to UE even though it involves a decent amount of work to do it mid project.

Because UE was made an evil, capitalist AAA company. Unity is a lot more hipster friendly.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Agree with Angthoron, just wanting to correct.

It also just got sold off, new owners might go all sorts of interesting new directions with it.
This was just a rumor from a week ago.

As for the rest, UE and Unity are just two engines with some non-tech visibility, most studios and specially the ones belonging to big players are still running on inhouses. And it'll be like that for a long long while because industry standards are just a buzzword, when you're running a real time AAA game you can't be constricted by design choices and tech restrictions created by others, specially when you monopolize 3D engine programmers.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Perkel is probably one of those people who think that every UE3 game looks the same and that it's a shitty engine because he says so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom