Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas builds

Severian Silk

So I started this game again after barely making progress the first time. This time I chose

S5, P5, E7, C4, I6, A6, L7
Speech, Guns, Repair
Good Natured, Skilled

Is this a horrible build? I'm not playing with any mods. But it is the collector's edition with all the DLC.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Don't use melee weapons, use unarmed strikes (things like brass knuckles and powerfist count as unarmed) it's the strongest skill of the game, seriously. The only thing you can't beat with that are deathclaws because you'd take too much damage but it's otherwise totally OP. You can get good unarmed stuff pretty soon in the game (bladed gauntlet).

Get souped on some drugs and get some damage res perks and you can go toe to toe with deathclaws on any difficulty. Cleaning out the quarry and punching alpha deathclaws in the face is p. satisfying.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
So I started this game again after barely making progress the first time. This time I chose

Speech, Guns, Repair
Good Natured, Skilled

Is this a horrible build? I'm not playing with any mods. But it is the collector's edition with all the DLC.
Mostly depends on how OCD you are. There is more than enough XP in the game to make any build viable. Also you can always hire two companions which makes almost every encounter so easy you don't have to do anything at all.

laclongquan

Arcane
I think there's a combination of level30- limit perk that allow unlimited use of drugs. Later on you can use a DLC feature to remove that trait, mostly to get levelup, because unlimited drug is nice!

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I think there's a combination of level30- limit perk that allow unlimited use of drugs. Later on you can use a DLC feature to remove that trait, mostly to get levelup, because unlimited drug is nice!

Near infinite slo-mo combined with Oh-baby is probably the most OP shit in the game.

bloodlover

Arcane

Speech, Guns, Repair
Good Natured, Skilled

Every build works fine. Combat is rarely a problem but you get so many points that you can max two combat skills if things go wrong. If I remember, CHA lets you take more companions at the same time and this will make your game even easier.

Hf and enjoy, though don't expect much from Fallout 3. NV is better.

2house2fly

Magister
CHA influences how tough your companions are, but you can only ever have one human and one non-human. That and PER are both pretty much dump stats unless you REALLY want the associated perks- Light Step actually comes in very useful in Lonesome Road, which features a new kind of mine with a one-second countdown. I don't think it's really possible to gimp yourself in New Vegas though, plus you can increase every stat by 1 by buying implants a little later in the game.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

Speech, Guns, Repair
Good Natured, Skilled

NV is beatable with any build. That said, putting that many points into Endurance is pretty pointless. You'll have enough healing stuff and chances to rest, and later on good enough armor, that having very high HP is not that important. Personally I would take take two points out of Endurance and put them into Perception and Agility instead, so you can get the perks that are available at Perception 6 and have more AP.

Severian Silk

Can I install Sawyer's mod on top of my current game, or is it too late and I have to start over? Combat is pretty easy. Maybe too easy.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Speech, Guns, Repair
Good Natured, Skilled

NV is beatable with any build. That said, putting that many points into Endurance is pretty pointless. You'll have enough healing stuff and chances to rest, and later on good enough armor, that having very high HP is not that important. Personally I would take take two points out of Endurance and put them into Perception and Agility instead, so you can get the perks that are available at Perception 6 and have more AP.
The endurance is for the implants. There is almost no point in getting less than 7.

baturinsky

Arcane
AFAIK, you choose stats based on which perks you want. I don't remember if you need base stat, or bonuses from drugs/clothing/whatever counts when you get a perk.

Severian Silk

Can I install Sawyer's mod on top of my current game, or is it too late and I have to start over? Combat is pretty easy. Maybe too easy.
I was about to install the mod when this happened:

• Base Carry Weight lowered from 150 to 50
  • 20 Ga 3/0 Buck and 12 Ga 4/0 Buck damage bonuses (from base buckshot) added
  • Strong Back benefit lowered from 50 to 25
  • Hoarder benefit lowered from 25 to 15, minimum weight lowered to 75 from 160.
Meh

It's never too late. The default combat in F3/NV is a joke. Between hitpoint bloat, armor and enemies missing, you can AFK fight through most stuff. I've posted this in other NV threads here, but here's my short guide on improving NV combat:

- Don't use VATs, aka Cheating Mode
- install Project Nevada mod or Sawyer's mod, they both reduce hitpoint bloat for you and everyone else. Sawyer's mod still keeps it more RPGish, and you continue to get extra hp at level ups, just less of them. Project Nevada, on the other hand, nerfs both starting hp and removes hp gain at level up, so it's even more hardcore, and basically turns NV combat into a much more shooter-y experience (a couple of shots will take you out, but you can also take out enemies much quicker)
- use Medium Difficulty in settings, harder difficulty just nerfs your damage and increase enemy damage, which you don't need if you installed the mods above
- Play in Hardcore mode, so that stimpaks heal over time, which is one of the most ridiculous exploits in regular mode.
- find a couple of more mods on TESNexus, one to remove auto-aim and another to remove enemy dodging (by default, your shots curve toward enemies and enemies dodge your bullets are superman speeds)
- this last one is bit more subjective, but I feel like with NV's crappy combat mechanics, high powered single shot weapons are the way to go, and are just much more enjoyable, so grab some cowboy repeaters, trail carbines, brush guns and the ranger sequioa for some nice Wild West style shooting.

One would think that not being able to carry an armoury on your back would help with the difficulty issue, but anyway:

player.modav <variable> <amount> - modify an actor value; the value will max out at its normal maximum value (100 for skills, 85 for resistances, 10 for S.P.E.C.I.A.L., etc.). A negative number lowers the variable.
  • Note: modav adjusts the value up or down by the specified amount, and changes are relative to the current value. For example, if your carryweight is 500, player.modav carryweight 150 will result in a carryweight of 650 (500+150), while player.modav carryweight -150 will set your carryweight to 350 (500-150).

Severian Silk

player.modav <variable> <amount> - modify an actor value; the value will max out at its normal maximum value (100 for skills, 85 for resistances, 10 for S.P.E.C.I.A.L., etc.). A negative number lowers the variable.
  • Note: modav adjusts the value up or down by the specified amount, and changes are relative to the current value. For example, if your carryweight is 500, player.modav carryweight 150 will result in a carryweight of 650 (500+150), while player.modav carryweight -150 will set your carryweight to 350 (500-150).
I have STR 5 and can currently carry 200lbs. What will that change to after I install Sawyer's mod?

If it wasn't clear, the thing I quoted two posts above is the console command to change carry weight. If you liked everything about the mod but that one change, just add 100 CW back to your character so it'll go back to vanilla values

laclongquan

Arcane
It's about the 1st command line I use in FNV. Packrats really hate going back and forth between stashes and loot-site. Also, since I like my nekkid lady companions, that limitation is of no use.

THere are two things I want to caution new players:

Get a robot mode that change the hover frame of the eyebot into a walking mode. THat hover frame is the cause of a few CTD/bugs when it's stucked in the ceilings. Myself would choose change it into a humanoid form (nekkid lady).

Dont bring too many companions. The more you have, the bigger demand it put on game engine and your hardware. It might be that your pimped out rig can run it, but if it feel slow, it's because of that.

Games:

If you dont know what to do, do the Honest Hearts immediately. You cant bring much, so the lengthy play before you chose it has no effect. So might as well choose it. Although, if you can make ammo it will simplify your difficulty considerably. Choose one scoped rifle with buttload of ammo and let's go.

The other way, is to choose Dead Money/Sierra Madre adventure. It also doesnt allow inventory, so it's ideal for playing early. One note: a challenge is to bringing as much gold bar from the vaults out. But it's not much use economically, since it's too heavy with low money/weight ratio. The repair and ammo perks help immensely here.

And finally, equip the companions with standard ammo. And small-size guns if possible. I remember my impressions is they dont use DLC-style ammo, dont recover brass, and enemy hits will strike their weapons. So a 7.62 big ass machine guns will get deteriorate fast, burn your precious supply of ammo with no reloading.

Get a robot mode that change the hover frame of the eyebot into a walking mode. THat hover frame is the cause of a few CTD/bugs when it's stucked in the ceilings. Myself would choose change it into a humanoid form (nekkid lady).

tumblr_mq5jxhFs5p1s4u4wvo1_500.gif

愛は荒れ地に咲くことができます...

53037-1-1381512027.jpg

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Peniszaur would be much better choice or walking dick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom