Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout New Vegas is the best Obsidian game ever

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Given all the MCA vs Obsidian debate going on right now I finally got around installing, modding and playing New Vegas and I gotta say it is by far the best Obsidian game I have played.
Now granted I have not played Neverwinter Nights 2 or its expansions but of all the Obsidian games I have played this is easily the best one
While the Gamebryo engine is still pretty limited, with a few mods and tweaks it is now pretty damn stable and quite a lot of fun
And the main reason for all that fun would the sheer amount of reactivity and C&C
I honestly don’t remember a game giving me more options for quests or the freedom to use any preferred playstyle and be a viable way to proceed... almost felt like playing a game of Hitman but with dialogue options
Other than the combat beign so so (fixable by mods) and the graphics looking dated (fixable too) and my pet peeve of SPECIAL beign basically worthless (other than Intelligence) this is the most fun I have had let alone with an Obsidian game, but a Fallout game period

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
The sky is blue.

I think KotOR2 is better in many regards but it certainly aged more - even though FNV release is closer to KotOR2 release than it is to now. NWN2 might be great too if it gets proper remaster, right now it's harder to play than KotOR2 that got free and competent 4K widescreen rework.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Has Obsidian ever had a proper engine coder?

Or just scripters, modders and web developers turned dev?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
In regard to my last comment: A washed-up MJ joined the Washington Wizards. Didn't win anymore Rings, though.

That NV is a mod for Bethtard's "engine": by that fact, it's a steaming pile.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
And Stick of Truth, it seems. So we have:

Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (Odyssey, BioWare, built on BioWare KotOR Odyssey which was built on Aurora)
Neverwinter Nights 2 / Mask of the Betrayer / Storm of Zehir (Electron, built on BioWare Aurora)
Alpha Protocol (Unreal Engine 3, Epic Games)
New Vegas (Gaymbryo, Bethtard)
Dungeon Siege III (Onyx, Obsidian)
Stick of Truth (Onyx, Obsidian)
Pillars of Eternity (Unity, Unity Tech)
Tyranny (Unity, Unity Tech)
Deadfire (Unity, Unity Tech)

Mark Richard

Arcane
How can I put this in a language The Codex understands...

Bethesda bringing in Fallout's old boyfriend was a mistake. Almost every time Obsidian were called in to cuckold an RPG franchise and make a sequel baby, they ended up with a profound contribution that completely changed my perspective on that universe. Fallout can't just go back to Bethesda now she knows the touch of an alpha.

Trashos

Arcane
New Vegas is up there with the best Fallouts. I even learned to endure FPS gameplay for its sake. Don't know when we will ever get a AAA game that is so good again.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
New Vegas is up there with the best Fallouts. I even learned to endure FPS gameplay for its sake. Don't know when we will ever get a AAA game that is so good again.
I agree but it bothers me that people always say that New Vegas is a great Fallout game in spite of the FPS gameplay...I bet that if this was the Fallout that Bethesda had released instead of Fallout 3 nobody would have complained as much
To be honest, I wasn’t such a big fan of the original Fallout (or Fallout 3 for the matter) but only after experimenting New Vegas is when things finally clicked for me, maybe it is the FPS western setting but I feel this is the best Fallout after the original that made me feel on an adventure
Fallout 2 felt like the 90’s “bigger and better” and Fallout 3 felt totally derivative of what had come before, sort of a Fallout themed park

Trashos

Arcane
I agree but it bothers me that people always say that New Vegas is a great Fallout game in spite of the FPS gameplay.

Well, players of isometric turned-based don't necessarily play FPS games. And FO3 didn't make me change my mind. When I started playing New Vegas, I was so inexperienced and bad at FPS that I died twice when fighting the geckos in the introduction. The game was sweet so I stack to it and improved, but still to this day New Vegas is the only FPS game I have devoted significant time to.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mask of the Betrayer may be better than New Vegas, but that seems like an unreasonable comparison as it’s easier to make a really tight expansion. No question that New Vegas + DLC is better than NWN2 + expansions.

What else is up there? It’s better than Alpha Protocol, better than KOTOR 2, better than the new isometrics. I doubt the South Park game or Dungeon Siege 3 even comes close.

So, yes, I strongly agree. But hopefully not best Obsidian game ever because I have a lot of faith in Cain and Boyarsky.

Good game this. But then I've always had a spot for mashups between First Person Action and RPG ever since System Shock. Would have also been a fitting format for that canned Aliens game. Not necessarily the Bethesda tech it is based on, naturally.

Well, players of isometric turned-based don't necessarily play FPS games. And FO3 didn't make me change my mind. When I started playing New Vegas, I was so inexperienced and bad at FPS that I died twice when fighting the geckos in the introduction.

That must be before you had discovered V.A.T.S. Because unlike an actual FPS, New Vegas takes no skill (or checks on one's dexterity) whatsoever..

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
they had their own engine, Onyx.

Which was squandered and never used after Dungeon SIege 3.
Keeping up to par with Black Isle who only ever made the Fallout engine followed by heavy use of licensing Bioware's engine and multiple aborted attempts to create their own. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom