Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New vehicular combat game: Gas Guzzlers: Combat Carnage

Astral Rag

Arcane
I skipped the beta of this because I expected another mediocre indie racing game but it turns out to be quite enjoyable.

There seem to be 3 game modes + multiplayer:

Classic: Race without weapons but you can use nitro's, oil and smoke.
Battle: Race on the same tracks but with weapons (shotgun, minigun, mines, rockets,...).
Knockout: Last man standing race.
(Arenas were cut due to time restraints but the developers promised to release them in a future patch)

You unlock cars, tracks, weapons,... by getting a podium place. If you lose you keep the money you made.
After the race you get the chance to buy parts and tune your car.

Positives:

Rather good looking, fast engine.
Controls are good (playing with 360 controller).
Good damage model.
Cars are loosely based on real world models.
It's not an open world game but the tracks I've seen were all wide and they all had shortcuts.
Tongue in cheek humour à la Carmageddon, Quarantine,... (but not nearly as good unfortunately).
No retarded 2012 dudebro crap or hand holding, it's pretty challenging even on the normal difficulty setting.
Fully customisable good looking graphics.
Nice selection of music ranging from 1920's jazz in the garage to rock and electronic music on the road.
Your character seems to be a raging alcoholic who stumbles around in his garage.
No DRM as far as I can tell (depending on the vendor perhaps...)

Negatives:

Mainly some small bugs that will probably get fixed soon, certain controls invert when restarting the game, no force feedback.
I found the use of bloom and some other modern effects pretty annoying but they could be turned off easily.
Voice-over during race annoyed me but can also be turned off.
No mirror or back button.

http://www.gamepires.com/gasguzzlers.aspx

Astral Rag

Arcane
:necro:

The 'remastered' version of this game is currently on sale for a few euros. It's a good arcade racer, if you grew up playing games like BreakNeck, Speed Busters, RollCage etc you'll probably enjoy this too. I haven't played any of the DLC.

Game has a good sense of speed and runs like a dream, graphics are decent and you can disable all the next-gen special effects.

Differences between Combat Carnage and Extreme:
1. We've made many new improvements and updates to our engine for the new Gas Guzzlers Extreme.
We have improved on the visuals and details by breathing more life into the cars by way of deeper car customization, new metallic paint jobs, more realistic car damage and visual effects, such as radial blurring of the wheels, better depth of field control and weather progression. We have also improved the handling and physics of all cars, along with added compatibility with a ton of steering wheel hardware, including the great Logitech G27 Steering Wheel.

2. The biggest feature, and the one we’re most excited about with in Extreme, is team-play in multiplayer.
Gas Guzzlers Extreme lets you play as a four-man team so you can now call on your friends to take on the streets together(4vs.4). You can also tag team with a friend, and battle up to 3 other teams (total of 8) - which is a first for vehicular combat games! Players can also customize their vehicles to match their team-mates, with custom paint, decals, and whatever else you want to represent. We ve also added some very fun & humorous paint jobs to mimic famous brands, like Monstr ♥♥♥♥, Buttwasser, Lucky Smoke and Red Neck to name a few.

3. Along with team play, Gas GuzzlersExtreme gives the player eight multiplayer modes to play.
You can now play a Tournament, Classic Race, Battle Race, Power Race, Knockout, Death Match, Team Death Match, Last Man Standing, and Capture the Flag, and all modes are playable as a team. The modes that are traditionally ‘shooter’ modes are really quite fun with cars, and especially cars equipped with guns! We even added an announcer to boot that will call out the action as it happens. From the technical side, we’ve minimized network lag, and have created bots to keep the servers populated for race action anytime.

4. We have included 16 all-new tracks and arenas.
These new tracks are complemented by the old favorites from Combat Carnage as a bonus.

5. The level progression in Gas Guzzlers Extreme will be a lot smoother
Players will be able to upgrade and customise their cars a lot quicker than in Combat Carnage, which was an issue with that game.

6. Steam integration
Since Gas Guzzlers Extreme will be on Steam, we ve integrated a lot of Steam specific features, not only the online play tools, but other features such as Steam Achievements, Big Picture Mode, Cloud Saving and Steam trading Cards.

7. New single player campaign
Last but not least, we revamped the single player campaign to be better balanced so that players will be able to quickly get into the game and experience the meat of the fun a lkot faster.
Gas Guzzlers Extreme will entertain the classic racing fan and will even tie over the hardcore player who just want to blow stuff up, either in an arena or on a race track.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Bought it on steam sale. It's been some time since I played a racing game. I like it, it has a certain "1990s feel" to it. I've been looking for something like this: arcade racing+blowing up stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom