Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why did you even buy it now then?

Yeah, I think Magister is tipping the ass coverage there.

The only reasons to buy a console at launch are either an intense desire to play an exclusive game or general wankery about wanting to be the cool kid with a launch electronic product.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Or because the console might be so popular that you won't be able to buy another unit for months.

Repressed Homosexual
Or because the console might be so popular that you won't be able to buy another unit for months.

That, and I like playing games on TV (from the genres that are appropriate for console format like racers and platformers, not call of duty or gears of war crap), but I am getting majorly sick from the poor graphics and picture quality from last gen.

Image quality is definitely MUCH superior on both systems, the picture is clearer, more vibrant, and the colors pop out.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Well by "launch exclusive you have an intense desire to play" I include anything from that hard to get one period, I guess. As far as I know Microsoft has nothing important coming in the next 6 months and Sony only has Infamous, though.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Hmm, for me it seems like this:
XBone tries to be what PS3 tried to be in the beginning - console, focused mostly (if not solely) on AAA titles.
PS4 tries to be indie-friendly (hi there, ouya), while also having AAA titles on board.

I think Xbone has a chance to be a piece of failure if they won't overlook their tactics towards players.
On the other hand, I don't know how OUYA is doing, and I am unsure whether PS4 will be successful.

It's not like I'm going to buy them anyway.

Repressed Homosexual
Sony will be more successful than the others, but Microsoft will sell a lot of units as well this generation, they have built a strong brand and will still retain a strong following.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Sony will be more successful than the others, but Microsoft will sell a lot of units as well this generation, they have built a strong brand and will still retain a strong following.
Nobody is going to buy an xbone outside of the US. Even the United Kwandom is going PS4 these days.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Nobody is going to buy an xbone outside of the US. Even the United Kwandom is going PS4 these days.
No way, I've seen some russian dumbfucks bragging about their 'new kewl xbone'.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Having owned a xbox 360 for years now I can safely say I really won't bother with a new console. The old one works just fine for streaming videos from my pc hd to my tv and for games? Hah. The last generation of consoles have had only a handfull of games that were really worthwhile in the 8 or so years they've been on the market. With a spread this thin why bother?

Repressed Homosexual
I bought NBA 2K14 for PS4, it indeed looks truly great.

Might consider FIFA too, and Madden when it goes on sale, though I might wait for next year's edition of the latter since I read it's barely overhaulted from last-gen versions.

Xi

Arcane
I bought NBA 2K14 for PS4, it indeed looks truly great.

Might consider FIFA too, and Madden when it goes on sale, though I might wait for next year's edition of the latter since I read it's barely overhaulted from last-gen versions.

This is the glaring difference right now. Most of the current games only have higher texture resolutions, more pixels, and better AA/AF. Under neath, they are still only scaled up slightly from X360/PS3. It's going to take a wave of games that target the PS4/X1 system specs (without any release on the older systems) to really see the impact of new hardware.

Right now, the differences aren't all that great, though much appreciated since the games are smoother FPS wise/and less jagged or blurred.

Repressed Homosexual
This is not the case for all of them, some like the sports ones I have mentioned already take significant advantage of next-gen. The best looking sports game is going to be MLB The Show 14, though.

I was so sick of dirty last gen graphics, this is literally the quality of a high end GPU for the living room so I'm very happy.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Why not? PS4 seems like the better gaming console, but I doubt a lot of people really care all that much about the differences. If they both have a "decent" games line-up, they'll probably sell about as much as last generation. Maybe with a small edge for Sony, but maybe also both with higher sales because of the failed Wii-U.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why not? PS4 seems like the better gaming console, but I doubt a lot of people really care all that much about the differences. If they both have a "decent" games line-up, they'll probably sell about as much as last generation. Maybe with a small edge for Sony, but maybe also both with higher sales because of the failed Wii-U.

Sony's machine is cheaper, more powerful, has a hype advantage and was already winning outside of kwa anyway. It makes sense to assume it's going to win this time. Only thing that could change that is people falling in love with Kinect for their TV, which I doubt will happen, but hey you never know.

I don't think either will sell better than last time by that much, however. The days of 200 million people buying a console like the PS2 are long gone, for a variety of reasons.

Tehdagah

Arcane
This is not the case for all of them, some like the sports ones I have mentioned already take significant advantage of next-gen. The best looking sports game is going to be MLB The Show 14, though.

I was so sick of dirty last gen graphics, this is literally the quality of a high end GPU for the living room so I'm very happy.
frame_rate_next_gen.jpg

Curiosity: Dead Rising 3 started being made on PC and moved to the Xbox One. The console struggles to run the game to the point that it runs at 720p resolution and with poor frame-rate.

Literally high-end, lol.

abija

Prophet
High-end 3 generations of cards ago, it's true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom