Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NG+ aka how not to do it...

Perkel

Arcane
Well NG+ is out to download.
Relive all awesome game codex fapped about again !

Introducing:
- buffed enemies
- buffed armor and weapons (same weapons and armors just with more stats)
- all your previous gear due to buffs are shit (aside from very few)

Only reason to play ng+ more levels aka skillpoints...

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I assume it's also balanced around level 30 characters, meaning it's even more piss-easy than before?

It's a shame if they went along such a lame route, really. I had hoped NG+ would've been at least a bit closer to a "true" Witcher experience: Geralt being no weakling early in the game but not as OP towards the end of the game, bosses being much less forgiving and requiring a better use of potions and bombs, harsher critical effects, a bit more varied encounter design, and so on. If it's just +30 levels to everything, it's pretty hard to get excited since the game barely offers any challenge after you've hit level 8 or so, even when fighting enemies several levels above you.

Will probably only get around to playing this once the expansions are out. Might as well just preserve my save games for those, assuming they're designed for characters that have finished the main game.

Frozen

Arcane
Expansions are only called expansions to differ them from non paid DLCs.

Perkel

Arcane
I assume it's also balanced around level 30 characters, meaning it's even more piss-easy than before?

you don't get it.

30 is starting level. You will be going to something like 60-70 lvl. All loot is also scaled so starting witcher armor you get on NG+ has 300 armor. Shitty temerian sword found on some noname bandit now is like 30-40lvl with damage higher than one of the best swords in non ng+ game.

Imo this is like starting NG rather than NG+ just take out 30 levels difference and nothing would be different.

Part of the reason why DS ng+ is amazing is that it doesn't scale loot but you have to fight harder fights.
Other type of NG+ is for completionists so people who want to have all uniques now need to again collect weapons because their ng weapons and armors are weak compared to new ones.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
you don't get it.

30 is starting level.
But that's exactly what I meant. If you finished the game at, say, level 35, you'll already be overpowered by the time you start NG+. It only bumps you to level 30 if you were below it (I'm not sure if that's even mathematically possible with the XP system being the way it is), but higher-level characters won't lose any levels upon starting it.

All loot is also scaled so starting witcher armor you get on NG+ has 300 armor.
Did they scale up the other Witcher gear too, or can you just concentrate on getting the Legendary sets instead of going through all the treasure hunts again?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Only reason to play ng+ more levels aka skillpoints...
Which are pointless because after 32-33 and some decent exploring you'll have all the skill points you need. Since our active skill slots are limited there is no need for so much skill points. (unless you are a freak that wants all them skills unlocked to change skills on the fly often)

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Gonna tell you guys a secret: I NEVER started NG+ on any Souls game and I never cared for it in W3. If I didn't bother with NG+ in DS, a game that still allows you to progress past the 150 SL, why the fuck would I care about it in a game that caps your character's development (AKA, limited skill slots)?

pippin

NG+ has always been a gimmick anyway. I don't know why people think about it as some necessary feature.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
It's a relatively easy way to increase a game's lifetime for one extra playthrough or so, as well as bumping up the general difficulty level. I don't remember many games where I would've even bothered with it, though, and TW3's version of it seems like a missed opportunity if it's really as lame as described here.

Ash_Firelord

Educated
So if your gear is now useless, NG+ is basically starting with all skillslots / potions unlocked and your previous amount of skillpoints?

Sounds kinda pointless.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Not worth starting over for the New Game +, BUT if you do start over for whatever else reason, maybe New Game + is better ?

Deleted member 7219

The only time I've seen New Game Plus done right is in Resident Evil 4. It was nice getting to use the new weapons, outfits etc. There's no point to New Game Plus in an RPG.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
The game that's done NG+ most successfully must be Diablo 2. Heavy appeal to completionists and achievement-oriented gamers. Action RPG though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sadly, I don't feel like replaying TW3 at all.

I love storyfag games but that's their critical problem - almost zero replayability.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
I'm doing a second playtrough right now. Replayability comes from the fact the the game is FUN.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm doing a second playtrough right now. Replayability comes from the fact the the game is FUN.

The FUN of a game like TW3 derives from following the story and exploring the world.

But once the story ends and the world is explored what's there to left for a second playthrough? The combat is only passable, the character progression is bad and the loot is downright abysmal.

I will definitely go back to it in a few years, when my memory is wiped clean, but not today. Not even close.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Gonna tell you guys a secret: I NEVER started NG+ on any Souls game and I never cared for it in W3. If I didn't bother with NG+ in DS, a game that still allows you to progress past the 150 SL, why the fuck would I care about it in a game that caps your character's development (AKA, limited skill slots)?
NG+ in DS2 includes new enemies, and bosses have new skillsets. NG is supposed to be for you to learn what's ahead and choose a playstyle and (almost) full gear for NG+.

Dustin DePenning

Literate
The only time I've seen New Game Plus done right is in Resident Evil 4. It was nice getting to use the new weapons, outfits etc. There's no point to New Game Plus in an RPG.
Oh god. So much time fishing to buy the typewriter. And the missile launcher. God that game was so good though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom