Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

nil

Cipher
Also one of my fantasies ever since I played Final Fantasy 7 as a wee lad was an AAA game set in a green apocalypse with ruined buildings being reclaimed by nature...
So, literally, this game is a dream come true.
The screenshots of Nier: Automata instantly reminded me of Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. If you missed that one, you should check it out. It's pretty good.
aeP47RF.jpg

JSZSwzm.jpg

Vlny0cu.jpg

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Yep, Enslaved is really fun game. Combat may be medicore at best but traversing the locations is nicely done.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Apparently they didn't determined the release date of Steam version yet:

tet666

Augur
Update 2: The Square Enix rep who confirmed the PC release date would fall on the same day as the PS4 version in the West was unfortunately misinformed: officially, there's not yet a release date for Nier: Automata on PC, though it's definitely coming some time next year.

:hmmm:

hackncrazy

Savant
I must say that I've never been hyped for an action game as I am for this. I really hope Platinum delivers something at Bayonetta level at least.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Platform: Windows PC, PlayStation 4

Rating Category: M

Content Descriptors: Blood, Partial Nudity, Strong Language, Violence

Rating Summary: This is an action game in which players assume the role of androids attempting to save Earth from extraterrestrial machines. Players use swords, spears, lances, and lasers to destroy enemy robots in melee-style combat. Large explosions and realistic gunfire are frequently heard during combat. Some sequences depict blood and additional acts of violence against human-like characters: a man impaled through the chest with a sword, resulting in large blood-splatter effects; character lying in pools of blood after getting stabbed. Some characters wear revealing outfits with partially exposed buttocks; one male character is depicted nude (without genitalia). The words “f**k” and “sh*t” are heard in the dialogue.

Not to anyone's surprise.

hackncrazy

Savant
Oh, let me ask you guys something: Knowing that I'm not a storyfaggot, is it worth for me to play the original Nier?

I mean, all I hear about that game is that is flawed but have AN AWESOME STORY. What about the gameplay, does it make it worth as well?

Ivan

Arcane
you're asking if something known for its story should be experienced by a storyfag?

fuck outta here

hackncrazy

Savant
you're asking if something known for its story should be experienced by a storyfag?

fuck outta here

Souls games are known for their rich lore and I still dont have absolutely any idea of whats going on there. Still, I love those games.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The first Nier is better than the sum of its parts.

Great music and story. The combat is so-so. Boss fights were cool. Several Side quests can suck a lolipop. Graphics are mostly poor. Perspective shifting and sometimes bullet hell sections were great.

It's worth a shot if you just want to try a game that isn't afraid of switching things up a little.

hackncrazy

Savant
Played the first 40 or 50 minutes of Nier. The opening cutscene was one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Then, started the game, and got some incredibly shitty quest where I have to take some herbs and stuff. Finished it and Im going to sleep now.

These kind of quests will always be mandatory or I'll be able to skip them? If they're mandatory, I'll probably drop the game very soon, even though it seems interesting so far.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Played the first 40 or 50 minutes of Nier. The opening cutscene was one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Then, started the game, and got some incredibly shitty quest where I have to take some herbs and stuff. Finished it and Im going to sleep now.

These kind of quests will always be mandatory or I'll be able to skip them? If they're mandatory, I'll probably drop the game very soon, even though it seems interesting so far.

If a side quest sounds like a pain in the ass, don't do it. None are mandatory.

hackncrazy

Savant

If a side quest sounds like a pain in the ass, don't do it. None are mandatory.

Oh, if it's going to be skippable, no problem then. Gonna start playing again now, let's see what happens.

hackncrazy

Savant
Okay, 5 hours into the game and its not as bad as I thought.

Of course, the sidequests are as absurd as possible, but aside from that, there isn't much too complain. The combat is not amazing but is not bad either, and the bosses so far are well made (and some places like the Aerie are well designed)

I may have made a mistake tough: I started playing on Hard and even though the game isn't hard as hell, the bosses are taking forever to beat, mainly because my strikes takes close to 0 of their HP.

At this point, I'm not restarting, but I'm hating this. Won't blame the game for the lack of balance on this because I could have played on Normal. If anything, the game made me want to replay some great action games like Devil May Cry 3 and Bayonetta.

PS: The soundtrack is absurdly good.

Ivan

Arcane
The PS4 demo releases tomorrow, right? I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom