Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Revenant

Alright, since I won't be reading 34 pages of this spoiler-heavy thread right now, I'll just ask a few quick questions, sorry if they've already been answered.

First and foremost, I really love/hate this game. While the relatively Western story and animu visual aesthetics are a perfect mix, the interface is atrocious - some menus work with mouse and some only with keyboard, etc. - and, more importantly, I don't get how exactly persistence works in this game. I remember killing the philosopher bot in the robot village and the next time he was just standing there, I mean WTF - I really remember saving the game inbetween. What exactly gets saved in this game (I assume other players might even loot you if you have network features enabled)?

Also, an equally important question, am I supposed to grind in this game? I'm LV15 in the forest kingdom and there is this LV50 boss that one-shoots me on normal. I bought this game because its gameplay was touted as being perfect, if I have to grind mobs in a single player game then trololo.

In addition, I'm so accustomed to WRPG mechanics that systems in this game appear extremely floaty to me. How exactly does weapon damage work? Am I supposed to use any mods? What is the correct min-maxing between weapon types and light/heavy attacks? I'm kinda overwhelmed and there is zero explanation in the game how things work. Can anyone give me a short powergaming synopsis, unless that's a story-related feature that I'm supposed to discover myself.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Alright, since I won't be reading 34 pages of this spoiler-heavy thread right now, I'll just ask a few quick questions, sorry if they've already been answered.

First and foremost, I really love/hate this game. While the relatively Western story and animu visual aesthetics are a perfect mix, the interface is atrocious - some menus work with mouse and some only with keyboard, etc. - and, more importantly, I don't get how exactly persistence works in this game. I remember killing the philosopher bot in the robot village and the next time he was just standing there, I mean WTF - I really remember saving the game inbetween. What exactly gets saved in this game (I assume other players might even loot you if you have network features enabled)?

Also, an equally important question, am I supposed to grind in this game? I'm LV15 in the forest kingdom and there is this LV50 boss that one-shoots me on normal. I bought this game because its gameplay was touted as being perfect, if I have to grind mobs in a single player game then trololo.

In addition, I'm so accustomed to WRPG mechanics that systems in this game appear extremely floaty to me. How exactly does weapon damage work? Am I supposed to use any mods? What is the correct min-maxing between weapon types and light/heavy attacks? I'm kinda overwhelmed and there is zero explanation in the game how things work. Can anyone give me a short powergaming synopsis, unless that's a story-related feature that I'm supposed to discover myself.
Most, if not all, npcs respawn so killing one won't permenantly remove them.

You don't have to grind and I'm wondering where you found a level 50 enemy in the forest. I'm thinking you found him at the bottom of the area and if that's the case, he's part of a quest you can do much later.

I can't answer much on your third question so hopefully someone else can give more detail.

Urbanolo

Augur
D_X I admit I haven't gone too far yet, but since I'm allergic to japanese crap, it's hard to stomach both weaboo setting and terrible bullet - hell gameplay. Fortunately I haven't spend a dime on the game or I would be salty as hell.

Ok, honest question then. Why the fuck did you start playing this game if you hate Japanese crap? I hate adventure games, for example, so I stay the fuck away from them, not play them and bitch on the interwebz about how much it sucks.

Because it was lauded as the best thing since sliced bread on the internet, including this forum? As a counterpoint: Dark Souls is also a japanese game, and it has a certain japanese wibe to it, but it's an excellent game. Nier Automata is just crap both setting AND gameplay wise. Horrendous.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Because it was lauded as the best thing since sliced bread on the internet, including this forum? As a counterpoint: Dark Souls is also a japanese game, and it has a certain japanese wibe to it, but it's an excellent game. Nier Automata is just crap both setting AND gameplay wise. Horrendous.
explain

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

I find that the weeb stuff is pretty dialed back in this game, at least it hasn't been too cringy to me this far.

I think it looks nice and I really like the animations, but control feels a little sluggish compared to other Platinum games (I started playing yesterday). Also, the cutscenes are pre-rendered and run at a shit framerate, what the fuck?

It's a pretty inept port in that fullscreen is fucked, but at least there are workarounds. I'm personally using the borderless gaming software, which seems to work alright.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's almost as if the country of a game's origin does not dictate its quality.

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well I just beat the hidden bosses and I didn't see that twist coming. Well now to quickly grind all the joke endings then I'll try using 9S to cheese the absurd super challenge from the DLC. Fucking lvl 130 enemies.

EDIT: Well the game predicted my plan on the challenge map and had that stupid tank as the final boss that is lvl 135 and a whole new hacking mini game that's arguably more dangerous than fighting him normally. So I tried, was run over and died instantly. This stupid map is trying my patience.

Last edited:

hajro

Arbiter
It's almost as if the country of a game's origin does not always dictate its quality.
febd851974314c849718012c33177403.png

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
had that stupid tank as the final boss that is lvl 135 and a whole new hacking mini game that's arguably more dangerous than fighting him normally.
Hes not the final boss of the SSS-Challenge in the Flooded City. There's 16 waves, every 4th wave has a boss. 4th is the tank, 8th is Beauvoir (Opera Boss), 12th is one of the Ko-Shi/Ro-Shi dudes and the final boss is Adam+Eve in their supercharged forms at lvl 140. The goal is to beat those 16 waves in less than 60 minutes.

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
had that stupid tank as the final boss that is lvl 135 and a whole new hacking mini game that's arguably more dangerous than fighting him normally.
Hes not the final boss of the SSS-Challenge in the Flooded City. There's 16 waves, every 4th wave has a boss. 4th is the tank, 8th is Beauvoir (Opera Boss), 12th is one of the Ko-Shi/Ro-Shi dudes and the final boss is Adam+Eve in their supercharged forms at lvl 140. The goal is to beat those 16 waves in less than 60 minutes.

Jesus christ. Ok I'm out. I do not have the patience or skill to do that. I'm perfectly happy where I got to.

Revenant

That's it, now I got stuck in the castle by falling into a dining room with a bunch of robots and a pushable block, no way out. I'm starting to lose my patience to play this game.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Nah, the pod-throw is only required for 3 chests, one in the flooded city, one in the city ruins and one in the forest, but thats not the room he's in. Simply pushing the block as close to the table as possible and double-jumping back out works, but I guess figuring that out exceeds his patience.

I just made it to the
robot village
and I'm really liking the game now. I think it's a mistake to try and consider it a game in the Platinum tradition, it's very much it's own thing. Made me curious for the first Nier.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trying to get into the game but the open world design kills it for me and I guess I'm not that into Japanese games that I hoped I would be also. Oh well.

Revenant

Yeah, I definitely agree that the game would have been much better off as a linear experience with individually tuned encounters, like the factory prologue. Making all encounters maximally impactful is just impossible in an open game world.

Revenant

Even less reason for the game to be open world then. It takes what, maybe half an hour to explore all 3 of those open areas? While the game balance is irrecovably harmed because of them.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The difficulty balance is pretty weird. Potentially difficult if you skip the side-quests and don't grind, probably very easy mostly if you do one of those things, but there are some heavy difficulty spikes here and there, mostly in optional side content. I'm okay with that, mostly easy is good for me, since I don't like the bullet hell content and my reflexes aren't great.

Revenant

No really, now I'm just stuck. In the king's castle, I go past the flying robot serpent into some rectangular rooms, the way up is impassable because of a broken ladder while the bottom leads to the dining trap room out of which I couldn't jump no matter how hard I tried despite pushing the block as near the table as instructed in this thread. Fuck this shit game

Revenant

How the fuck does he make those jumps, my character doesn't move that fast even after a double-tapping dash

Revenant

I know about the double jump, but how the fuck was I supposed to know about the double jump+dash combo? The game didn't tell me that was possible. I could try it out now but I don't feel like fighting from the entrance of the castle to that point AGAIN, thanks to the "wonderful" save system. Worst ever purchase on Steam, and a 60 euro one at that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom