Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Revenant

Well I am an Eastern European man who easily gets butthurt about wasting big money like 60 euros. And the most frustrating thing is that it's not like I hate the game entirely, it has plenty of redeeming qualities, like superb story, animations and general audio-visual design. The problem is that controls, map and interface are fucking horrendous and it really does make an unpleasant overall experience.

Double jump I tried dozens of times in that place, and it only got me halfway through that chasm, because it was oriented around the corner of the room (???). Do I have to move diagonally for that, or what. Never mind. At least now I know that place is supposed to be beatable just by normal movement skills, so I must just be doing something wrong.

Revenant

Well, I finally made that jump on 3rd or 4th attempt, so I guess it's fine. Would have never though how to do it myself, despite having dashed in the air a few times by accident before, I think. And no, I'm not getting a controller because M+KB works for me quite fine, it's the general unresponsiveness of characters that bugs me and I kinda doubt a controller would make any difference in this case. I don't play many action games either and the ones I play (nu-Tomb Raider and Risen comes to mind) handle with M+KB even better than NieR: Automata.

I'm sorry your first video game was a disappointing experience, Revenant
Nigga pls I have beaten more than 20 CRPGs in my life, including the Dark Age Ultima trilogy. It's not my fault these weird jap games don't have any consistency whatsoever and require some bizarre thinking to play.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Nigga pls I have beaten more than 20 CRPGs in my life, including the Dark Age Ultima trilogy. It's not my fault these weird jap games don't have any consistency whatsoever and require some bizarre thinking to play.
Your issue stems from the fact that you probably have very little or even no experience at all with games of these types, in Automatas case the movement-limitations are very similar to what most platformer play like. It's pretty much standard knowledge for any platformer that your doublejump only gets "depleted" if you use any other action-move, for example by attacking, using a skill or for example the pod-throw. Combining different types of movement has always been possible in these types of games, so stuff like double/triple jumping, gliding, dashing etc can generally be used however you please. I'm also fairly certain that the tutorial sections in the intel-tab cover both the doublejump+dash combo aswell as the doublejump+podthrow+dash combination, simply because that one is required on a couple of occasions for chests/sidequests.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I also play with M+KB and it's generally fine. Well, the hacking minigame sucks, but it's bearable if you drop the mouse and go KB+KB with arrow key rotation. You'll be kinda slow, but quite precise, which is the better choice in most challenging events.
The game sometimes switches to flat "vertical" (platformer) or "horizontal" (bullet hell/commando) slice modes. I'm not sure how I feel about those transitions, fortunately the content in these sections tends to be very easy. And I guess they do make the game experience much more varied.

I am very thankful that my greatest fear hasn't materialized: confusing camera angle and control direction changes. Something very frequent in action console game ports. This has made me rage-quit early many games like Enslaved, Darksiders I/II, Castlevania Lords of Shadow and others.

Revenant

Your issue stems from the fact that you probably have very little or even no experience at all with games of these types, in Automatas case the movement-limitations are very similar to what most platformer play like. It's pretty much standard knowledge for any platformer that your doublejump only gets "depleted" if you use any other action-move, for example by attacking, using a skill or for example the pod-throw. Combining different types of movement has always been possible in these types of games, so stuff like double/triple jumping, gliding, dashing etc can generally be used however you please. I'm also fairly certain that the tutorial sections in the intel-tab cover both the doublejump+dash combo aswell as the doublejump+podthrow+dash combination, simply because that one is required on a couple of occasions for chests/sidequests.
I have played my share of platformers - Jazz Jackrabbit and Claw being my favorites that I still play to this day - and none of them even had double jump, not even mentioning any movement action while falling except for slight direction adjustment.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Did you just escape from a cryogenics lab and weren't supposed to be defrosted until much much later?

There's a reason none of us even thought about having to tell you that you can dash/attack while jumping, and that's because almost every platformer and most metroidvanias that got released in the last ~10 years has mechanics of these kinds.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Did you just escape from a cryogenics lab and weren't supposed to be defrosted until much much later?

There's a reason none of us even thought about having to tell you that you can dash/attack while jumping, and that's because almost every platformer and most metroidvanias that got released in the last ~10 years has mechanics of these kinds.

The cryogenic explanation is good but that can't be it either. Double jump has been around since 1985.

Also note how he lies: Jazzy Jackrabbit, beginning with 2, also features the ubiquitous double jump.

This guy is clearly a time traveler from the 19th century.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
It's probably not the double-jump that confused him, but all the additional mechanics that made it into the genre over the last century like dashes, blinks, glides, jump-refreshers etc. Those are a staple of the genre by now and the skillful combination of those is required to beat almost all of the recent metroidvanias/platformers. Not having played those I can see how you wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that you can actually dash mid-air, but if he's gotten to the forest already he should've figured it out by now.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
True story: I played about 2/3 of the way through Resident Evil 4 without realizing there's a Run button. Then I got to a death trap you have to run to get past. It looked like game over! I was frustrated for a while but then looked it up.

When I realized that I hadn't understood the controls, my first reaction was not, "This GAME is dumb."

Saark

Arcane
Patron
You don't have to buy a PS4 for the PC version of Nier:Automata. Unless you want to out yourself on the codex for already owning a console.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
You get to use M+KB on the PC. Plus the performance might be better, depending on your hardware. Especially the loading times on an SSD.:whatho:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think I was pretty actively aggressive you retarded cocksucker who can't admit when they're being an idiot.
Seriously, a forum whining all about the decline and you moron can't even read the manual? Give me a break.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
A) Fucking decline action shit with quest arrows!!!
B) OMG fucking forced tutorials, do they think I am a moron? Back in my days we just read the manual!!

[a little later]

C) WTF why read a manual? lololo it's 2017! My gender is attack helicopter!

Revenant

Ok, when a homosexual furry begins making gender jokes it's obvious trolling, but let's engage in this meaningful discussion for a moment:

A) Quest arrows have nothing to do with tutorials explaining movement mechanics;
B) Tutorials don't need to be forced, but it would be nice to have one if I'm new to the genre;
C) I most certainly don't expect to read a manual when playing a modern action game, which no longer has any technical limitations about introducing new mechanics, unlike old titles. A simple pop up above the character's head "jump then dash to cross the chasm" would be enough for the first encountered obstacle of that kind ffs.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
My point is that it's stupid to complain about something reading the manual would have cleared up on a forum where we have been complaining for 15 years or so about how games no longer have manuals and how annoying forced tutorials are. Hell, in some other thread some guy, right now, is complaining that those pop-ups like the one you suggest in your C are annoying and could be avoided by a manual.

It just felt weirdly idiosyncratic.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I once played a game where I saw a chest on a building that I couldn't reach by normal means. I then thought about my options. I could try and fail to get there repeatedly. So I tried doublejumping, sprinting before doublejumping, dashing while mid-air and some other things like using a charge attack while mid-air after double-jumping+dashing but I still couldn't get over there. Then I remembered that I was once told during the game that my pod could launch me. Sadly, I didn't know how to do that. So I wasted close to 10 seconds of my life to figure it out by looking through the internet. I found the answer, and after learning how to use this movement-skill I finally managed to get to the chest. I was happy.

If only I would've known that there was another option. Instead of learning how to better play the game, I could've just gone on the internet to bitch about how the game sucks.
The problem you were faced with was basically adding 1+1, and not figuring out that the result is 2. Similar to walking to the left in Super Mario and getting angry at Nintendo because they didn't tell you to walk right instead.

So the issue here is really quite simple. You were bad at a videogame and got stuck. There's no shame in that, plenty of people are. You didn't try to figure out yourself (by googling) how to get out. Okay, I can sort of get that, but not really since it would've taken 30 seconds to look for "nier automata castle hidden room table" to find the video someone else linked already as the first result, and see for yourself how to get out (and learning about dashing while jumping in the process).
You took the other option however, going to a forum to whine about how the game sucks because you're stuck. I can get that too, it sure must've felt like it was the games fault, not yours. Anyway, either option would eventually lead to you finding out about that dashing while jumping was a thing, and that there are even more things you can do (like the pod-throw) while jumping.

All good so far? Great. Because this is the point where you proved that you are fucking retarded. A normal person would've felt rather silly for not realizing this was a thing and then gone on with his life. Instead you go on a crusade about how the game sucks even more because it didn't specifically tell you about something that has been a staple in adventure/platforming/metroidvania gaming for over 10 fucking years, while trying to defend your position because you've had "plenty of experience" with platform games and then cite 2 games that are over 2 decades old.
If you cannot handle someone telling you that you are retarded when you are being retarded, I suggest you take the first option the next time. That way noone has to notice. It has the added benefit of taking up less of your time, and learning something new by yourself is also quite a lot better than having someone else tell you something you should've known all along. For example that in this particular discussion you're the retarded one, noone else. Jasede may be one because hes a fucking furry, but that's not the issue at hand is it?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
That's a damn shame about the special edition box damaged.

Finally beat the game with ending E, btw. The last struggle was... unexpectedly long and progressively difficult. Till I got support, that is. Wonder if all those accounts are really 1-use and delete or if they are re-used for other players. Cause I've seen many "deleted" due to my clumsy performance.

A very solid experience overall. Quite varied, fluid and pleasant to look at. Different movesets for different weapon categories/pairs are great, chip customization surprisingly addictive.
My main complaint would be how detached from the main story most side quests feel. And often they are very gamey. This is one game which isn't afraid of breaking the 4th wall. Was not a big fan of the bullet hell aspect or the hacking minigames. But those are part of the package and they do add to the gameplay variety. Even fit thematically.
Overall, I'd say 8/10 for me.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Just started the game, one question: Do you actually have to replay the game from the very beginning several times again to unlock all endings?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
That's misleading, implying that the playthroughs are similar. Only the first and the second are similar, but even then, only for some parts.

Route A: play game as normal, see ending. Game tells you to keep playing.
Route B: play game again, this time from a different perspective (with different scenes, dialogue bits, giving new context, and a major new gameplay addition), see ending. During credits, game shows preview for Route C.
Route C: play game set after route A/B (completely new content) exploring how things end. Near the end, branch into ending C or D, and when you have seen both, E. For those no replaying is required; you get a chapter select to quickly see them.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
And the true ending is the last? Do I keep my levels or equipment?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom