Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nightkeep, rpgmetroidvania experiment

Nightale

The Studio Which Has No Name
Developer
UPDATE - Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=914989247

Hi, I would like to share my metroidvania experimental game here. I am inspired by classic, NES and SNES. And my vision is to keep this "classic" feel. I'm not trying to make this a major breaktrough in the gaming industry.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/nightkeep

I'm sorry if I misunderstood meaning of this section, if it's not suited here, please delete the post. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh that's neat, the shortsword transforms into stuff. Cool way to save time on pixel art.

Looks good, man, for a one person gig. I'll be keeping tabs on your experiment on indieDB.

Nightale

Developer
Castlevania is my biggest inspiration for this title and it's very obvious, I am a huge fan of metroidvanias myself. This is early alpha trailer, so there are currently no plans for demo.

Right, I didnt mention IndieDB in the first post. http://www.indiedb.com/games/nightvale

I will also add brief description, The game In a nutshell :
- Free roaming, classic level up system
- Swappable Sub-Weapons
- Relics & Powerups
- Gemstones (enhances sword)
- Consumable Items
- Hand crafted pixelart graphic (16:9 screen ratio)
- Hidden secret areas and treasures
- Rogue-like elements (Challenge rooms)

Last edited:

Space Insect

Arcane
Looks pretty cool. I hope the level design is extremely good on this thing because that is what makes or breaks a metroidvania game to me.

Mustawd

Looks really good OP. :greatjob:

But...I'm confused. Can I play this game yet? Is it on Steam greenlight? WTF? Seems to be not much info on this, even on the IndiDB page. Is there a release date?

This is early alpha trailer, so there are currently no plans for demo.

Oh ok. Didn't see that at first. Try hitting the "Conductor we have a problem" button to report an issue. And ask to have the OP edited to include the link to your Indiedb thread as well as the fact that it's still in alpha.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is gooooooooooooooood :greatjob:

I hope those relics and powerups and whatever upgrades you have won't make the sub-weapons useless though, but rather upgrade on them, especially since you have cool subs like the spinning sword trap thingy.

Nightale

Developer
@ Ninjerk game is made with Clickteam Fusion

@ Space Insect I looked at many metroidvania level guides and I am trying to make it playable.The first zone is a bit linear but the world itself contains cross-roads.

@ nonoriri some Sub weapons can do huge damage to a target while you're moving in the opposite direction. This is really little metroidvania and I am actually following older trend than the current one. Nowadays RPG brings classic attributes like STR, VIT, DEF. etc. I have none of these. I kept mechanics very simple which reminds old SNES games like Demon's Crest or SNES Castlevania. I have Sword Art and Weapon Art instead of attributes. Each affects damage of melee attacks and sub weapons. So you can always keep sub weapons on track with main weapon.

Severian Silk

Hi, I would like to share my metroidvania experimental game here. I am inspired by classic, NES and SNES. And my vision is to keep this "classic" feel. I'm not trying to make this a major breaktrough in the gaming industry.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/nightvale

I'm sorry if I misunderstood meaning of this section, if it's not suited here, please delete the post. Thanks!

OMG!!! FEMALE PROTAGONIST! Western civilization is coming to an end!Thanks OBAMA!1!!111

</conservotardcodexer>

Nightale

Developer
I am working insanely hard to put things together. I can't share more news, but I think little preview will save 100 words.
This happens when you edit old alpha zones... A little rework.
j.png

Nightale

Developer
I am editing old alpha zones, while adding some new as well. Game is starting to shape quite nicely.
edrt%2B2016-05-02%2B23-27-29-66.gif

Nightale

Developer
Hello,
I discovered Welcome to Night Vale radio show lately, I am not sure what is it about but I will rather change the name of the project form Nightvale to something else. Not sure now... choosing is hard.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Hello,
I discovered Welcome to Night Vale radio show lately, I am not sure what is it about but I will rather change the name of the project form Nightvale to something else. Not sure now... choosing is hard. Anyway I have to do it, with this little annoucement I will also add some gameplay vid.

Composed by: Cleyton R. Xavier - http://opengameart.org/users/doppelganger

Do you do all the art yourself? Or do you have a pixel artist?

Nightale

Developer
I tried to hire pixelartist to make it look better, animations, etc. It would be very expensive for my budget so I do pixelart myself.

Last edited:

Mustawd

I tried to hire pixelartist to make it look better, animations, etc. It would be very expensive for my budget so I do pixelart myself.

Nice. Just got started with pixel art myself, which is why I asked. Looks really good.

Nightale

Developer
I officially renamed the project, its Nightkeep now.
Cj38d3uWUAAjPQ8.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom