Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo 2DS XL

Siobhan

Arbiter
Nintendo has announced the 2DS XL, which is essentially a 3DS XL without 3D, for $150.

I'd like some kind of 3ds to try Etrian Odyssey, Dark Spire, and other J-blobbers. 3ds emulation on ARM is still in its infancy afaik, the standard 2ds is too bulky for my taste, and a used 3ds isn't much cheaper. But $150 is still a lot for just a couple of blobbers, and there aren't too many other (3)ds games that interest me. Any thoughts or game recommendations that might make this an easier decision?

Siobhan

Arbiter
Checked the thread, still undecided. I don't like the typical JRPGs like Dragon Quest and Xenoblade --- too much story and dialogue for me (yeah, I'm very picky in that respect). From what I've seen of SMT, it also frequently interrupts gameplay with dialogue. The Legend of Legacy and The Keep look interesting, though, but still not a must-have. I also get the impression that the 3ds does not have a good selection of games in other console genres I like (2D action platformers, metroidvanias that aren't Castlevania). I guess I'll simply role the dice, it's not worth overthinking the monetary equivalent of one nice dinner.

Vorark

Erudite
The 2DSXL will be released on July so you've got plenty of time to think. Don't forget you get access to the DS library too and if you hack it, GBA and SNES (latter seems to work good enough only on "New" line).

A tad overpriced though, seems there's a normal 2DS bundled with Mario Kart for $80, damn good price.

RuySan

Augur
If you never had a DS, then it's a no brainer. The NDS has probably the best exclusive library of all time for RPG/strategy games. And 3 brilliant Castlevania games is the icing on the top. If you don't like the Castletroids shame on you. Order of Ecclesia is absolutely sublime.

The only downsides is that Nintendo properties got some really shitty games.

Unwanted

†††

Patron

Nintendo really adores making its customers pay premium price for vastly outdated tech. This thing doesn't really have better graphics than the original PSP who was released 12 years ago, and it doesn't even have the 3D excuse.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
This looks like the definitive 3DS minus the 3D part. I have 4 3DS systems in my house and I'd be willing to purchase this one if I had the spare cash. I always thought the 3D aspect of the system was an over-hyped gimmick, so a 2DS with the same power as the N3DS but lacking 3D is perfect.

DramaticPopcorn

Jesus fuck, you fanboys are horrifying

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom