Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo attacks smartphone gaming

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/17/nintendo-mobile-games-dena-partnership

Mario on your smartphone: Nintendo strikes mobile games deal with DeNA
Expect new smartphone and tablet games based on Nintendo’s famous characters, but no ports of Wii U or 3DS titles for now

Nintendo has been fending off questions about whether it should start making smartphone and tablet games for years. Now the company is making its move.

Nintendo is teaming up with fellow Japanese firm DeNA in a partnership that will see the companies release a series of new games, as well as launch an online gaming community around them.

No specific games have been revealed yet, but don’t expect any conversions of modern-day Wii U or 3DS titles.

“To ensure the quality of game experience that consumers expect from this alliance of Nintendo and DeNA, only new original games optimised for smart device functionality will be created, rather than porting games created specifically for the Wii U home console or the Nintendo 3DS portable system,” explained Nintendo’s announcement of the deal.

However, both companies will be creating games as part of the partnership, which raises the prospect of some of Nintendo’s talented development teams being let loose on new smartphone and tablet titles, while ports of games from older Nintendo consoles and handhelds have not been ruled out.

“In order to create completely new game experiences for smart devices, all Nintendo IP will be eligible for development and exploration by the alliance,” said Nintendo.

DeNA is best known for releasing freemium mobile games that make their money from in-app purchases of virtual items and currency, so the deal raises the prospect of this model being applied to franchises like Mario and Zelda – something that may not sit well with all fans.

However, Nintendo has been experimenting with the freemium business model on its own devices recently: 3DS game Steel Diver: Sub Wars in early 2014, and match-three puzzler Pokemon Shuffle in 2015.

DeNA first came to prominence with its Mobage mobile gaming community, and that experience will be a factor in its partnership with Nintendo too.

The companies will be launching an “online membership service” spanning smartphones and tablets, PC and Nintendo’s own gaming devices. It’s due to launch in the autumn.

DeNA also announced a deal in February with console publisher Square Enix to launch a new Final Fantasy mobile game, Final Fantasy: Record Keeper, and has also recently launched mobile games based on Transformers and Marvel.

As recently as January 2014, Nintendo executives were denying speculation that the company was preparing to release games for smartphones and tablets.

“Nintendo’s intention is not to make Nintendo software available on smart devices,” said a spokesperson at the time, while admitting that the company saw mileage in mobile devices as a way to promote the games available for its own platforms.

So finally quality native android gaemz?

Athelas

Arcane
They could make a killing just by porting their NES/SNES/GBA/NDS games.

No specific games have been revealed yet, but don’t expect any conversions of modern-day Wii U or 3DS titles.
Obviously, they wouldn't want to draw attention to the fact that the Wii U is about as powerful as a new smartphone. :M

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Wii U has been profitable since Mario Kart 8 came out, it's not doing *that* bad. But it's about time they did this, they were ignoring a shit ton of easy money.

They also announced the NX which is possibly their next-gen console, but no more info on that until next year. They'll probably cut the Wii U's lifespan short by a year or two because it's like Gamecube all over again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Smart phones are doing to the console industry in Japan what consoles did to the PC industry here in the west. There's just no end to the decline. Everybody must experience it.

pippin

Well, I thought handhelds were actually Nintendo's strongest field. However, the CDi and the Play Station are clear example of what happens when Nintendo wants to give control of their IPs to third party people. Let's wait and see.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ugh, freemium Zelda. Play the bomb minigame for 10 hours to unlock the Hookshot, or pay 101 rupees to skip that step (a bag of 100 rupees = $10).

209.gif

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I hear that A Link Between Worlds made adjustments to that problem.

As far as this smart phone thing goes, I would say, "I'm sure that Nintendo realizes their core strength is that they are the best developer of console games in the world" but whenever I say, "I'm sure x will realize," that business or entity in question usually follows up with a policy that proves that they don't.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Ugh, freemium Zelda. Play the bomb minigame for 10 hours to unlock the Hookshot, or pay 101 rupees to skip that step (a bag of 100 rupees = $10).
1) User grinds bomb minigame for 1 hour and earns 1 rupee
2) User buys 100 rupees for $10
3) User attempts to unlock a 101 rupee hookshot item, but fails since their rupee bag can only hold a maximum of 100 rupees
4) User unlocks the extra large rupee bag for 100 rupees
5) User buys 100 more rupees
6) User STILL CANNOT UNLOCK HOOKSHOT
7) User grinds bomb minigame for 1 hour and earns 101st rupee
8) User finally unlocks hookshot

Muahahahaha

Martius

Liturgist
So probably more games like Pokemon Shuffle (pretty much Pokemon skin for Candy Crush with energy mechanic and micros-transaction).

Athelas

Arcane
Smart phones are doing to the console industry in Japan what consoles did to the PC industry here in the west. There's just no end to the decline. Everybody must experience it.
There is potential for smartphones being a great platform for turn-based games, since controls aren't exactly suited for action/real-time games.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This can only end well.

I put this in here for a reason
You asked for it...

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Anyone who thinks this isn't good news is greatly delusional about Nintendo's hope of survival in today's environment. They are now considering other platforms than their own, which is a nice step already. I just hope the next move is PC.

Yeah, I'm not betting on it either.

Gerrard

Arcane
Can't wait to play all those platformers with shitty, slow, on-screen controls.

Machocruz

Arcane
Another take on this news

https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2015/03/18/nintendo-dena-alliance/

Incorrectly, people will think this announcement is Nintendo is abandoning dedicated hardware (such a laugh). What it is actually doing is that Nintendo is abandoning the television in terms of a platform.

Nintendo is redefining the platform from being a hardware box you place in your home to being the massive servers in DeMA. Where does Nintendo’s platform want to go? It wants to go everywhere it can. The NES went everywhere it could. If there was a TV somewhere, Nintendo wanted its console attached to it. This new platform also wants to go everywhere it can.

What I think Nintendo is doing is creating an account system with DeMA that will allow it to utilize all sorts of different ‘communication’ devices to Nintendo’s benefit. It’s not just about a Nintendo game on a phone. It is about a Nintendo game on the PC. PC gaming with Nintendo? That’s where I’d be.

^ Paging taxalot

The keyword here is ‘platform’. Note that he did NOT say hardware. He also didn’t specify if this was handheld or home platform. The answer is because it is a type of online system which will utilize both Nintendo and non-Nintendo hardware (like smartphones). This is similar to i-tunes.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Incoming more flooding of smartphone gaming. Can't wait for this bubble to crash.

Smartphone gaming is just poorly optimized handheld gaming. I refuse to (literally) touch games that require 100% touchscreen controls. Touchscreen controls make a nice supplementary addition for games, but much like motion controls from the Wii they are a gimmick, attempting to reinvent something that ends up being more primitive than the very control schemes they mean to replace. Also like motion controls you lose a significant amount of accuracy and precision (all things considered).

To this day I still find the good ole computer mouse to be the most accurate gaming tool. Nothing will unseat it for a long time.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom