Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata has passed away

Stokowski

Arcane
Please understand, wrong forum.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
lXNZq0h.png

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, the crash. Home console business was totally ruined, we don't know what would happen if no other consoles came to the rescue, some people believe videogames would never stop being made anyway, others actually believe nowadays we'd see games as a cheesy thing of the past just like billions of other things. The fact is, the NES happened and it pulled the industry back to being viable again.

aka "let's post muhamerican legend so murican Nintendocucks can fap to it"

That crash only happened in US. Both Europe and especially Japan which was at that time powerhouse were doing fine. Europe had PC master race japan had healthy console and PC market.

People also were still working on games in US. They just earned less or were on different platforms (like PC)

What perkel said, up to a point. The US was mostly affected by the crash, while Europe seemed not as bothered as it had a bigger presence of 8-bit home computers. The crash primarily affected the console market which was oversaturated. From 1984-1987 home computers made strong advancements (mostly in Europe, though also somewhat in the US) in the void that followed all those dead consoles. Meanwhile PCs, mostly being work-oriented, slowly continued their rise almost unnoticed.

But yeah, it's a long reach to claim that Nintendo "saved" anything, they just moved in to fill the console market void with the NES, and with that shifted the market focus of consoles out of the US to Japan. If you actually take a look at the methods Nintendo employed to achieve its dominance, you'll find draconian restrictions at every turn. Makes sense, seeing as the over-saturation that crashed the US console market was due to a near-total lack of restrictions, so a backlash in the other direction was expected.

If Nintendo had saved anything, they would have retained the console market focus in the US. But they didn't, they scoured through the ashes and built their own market with their own rules, creating de facto standards on how to run a console platform of which many STILL apply to the console market today.

All the while home computers have been working on removing most of their market/corporate-based restrictions, a development which has gone too far, but that's another story...

So yeah, Nintendofag spotted. I'm cool with Nintendofans being fans, but them trying to rewrite history is another thing.

Black

Arcane
Yeah, the crash. Home console business was totally ruined, we don't know what would happen if no other consoles came to the rescue, some people believe videogames would never stop being made anyway, others actually believe nowadays we'd see games as a cheesy thing of the past just like billions of other things. The fact is, the NES happened and it pulled the industry back to being viable again.

aka "let's post muhamerican legend so murican Nintendocucks can fap to it"

That crash only happened in US. Both Europe and especially Japan which was at that time powerhouse were doing fine. Europe had PC master race japan had healthy console and PC market.

People also were still working on games in US. They just earned less or were on different platforms (like PC)

What perkel said, up to a point. The US was mostly affected by the crash, while Europe seemed not as bothered as it had a bigger presence of 8-bit home computers. The crash primarily affected the console market which was oversaturated. From 1984-1987 home computers made strong advancements (mostly in Europe, though also somewhat in the US) in the void that followed all those dead consoles. Meanwhile PCs, mostly being work-oriented, slowly continued their rise almost unnoticed.

But yeah, it's a long reach to claim that Nintendo "saved" anything, they just moved in to fill the console market void with the NES, and with that shifted the market focus of consoles out of the US to Japan. If you actually take a look at the methods Nintendo employed to achieve its dominance, you'll find draconian restrictions at every turn. Makes sense, seeing as the over-saturation that crashed the US console market was due to a near-total lack of restrictions, so a backlash in the other direction was expected.

If Nintendo had saved anything, they would have retained the console market focus in the US. But they didn't, they scoured through the ashes and built their own market with their own rules, creating de facto standards on how to run a console platform of which many STILL apply to the console market today.

All the while home computers have been working on removing most of their market/corporate-based restrictions, a development which has gone too far, but that's another story...

So yeah, Nintendofag spotted. I'm cool with Nintendofans being fans, but them trying to rewrite history is another thing.
I said that, you cunt.

Black

Arcane
Now that there's a vacancy at Nintendo maybe MCA will do something about it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I said that, you cunt.

Yeah, I had a much more elaborate piece of text in mind that would be more distant from yours, but I ran out of time. Sorry about that.

Meanwhile, the BBC lists 5 things that Nintendo and Satoru Iwata did to change gaming which gave me reason to return to this thread.

1. Gaming for everyone.

Satoru was a firm believer in keeping things simple and making gaming fun for everyone.

No reason to bash this, it's a business decision and it pays off. It may alienate "hardcore gamers" but it brings in so many more "casuals" to render it a moot point. This is one of the big reasons to praise Nintendo, their games are easily approachable, quick to learn and focus more on entertainment than immershun and experience.

2. Hand-held hero.

Nintendo's Game Boy was the first portable, handheld game system with interchangeable game cartridges. It was released in 1989 and made gaming-on-the-go popular long before the days of smart phones.

Also true. The Game Boy was THE console to own in 1990/1991, with its handheld nature and interchangable cartridges being a Really Big Thing, even though competitive handhelds like the Lynx and the GameGear were more advanced.

3. Iconic characters.

Nintendo is famous for creating some of the most popular and recognisable characters in the gaming world, from Mario, to Pokémon to Zelda.

Here's where the article starts to fall apart, as it doesn't mention HOW Nintendo has made these characters memorable: By constantly rehashing the characters, (re)relasing their greatest titles and slowly tweaking their image over the years, to the point that they are nothing more than another corporate franchise that shits money. Any personality or depth of character is deliberately kept shallow and as appealing as possible, to the point that these characters have become parodies of themselves.

4. Expanding the brand

Pokémon first came out on the Game Boy in 1996, called Pocket Monsters, and was created by Japanese developers Game Freak.

Since Pokémon was released it has become the third most-popular franchise worldwide after Mario and Super Mario.

I touched upon this at point 3, but take note of the underlined part. I know that my knowledge is somewhat limited when it comes to the consoles, so I may be wrong here...but isn't that the same franchise?

5. The mobile future

Nintendo has announced that joining forces with a Japanese developer to create new games for smart phones and tablets.

And here is where the "article" jumps the shark. This is a planned, future strategy for Nintendo, with no guarantee of success. Naming this in a list of "ways Nintendo has changed gaming forever" is borderline retardation. In fact, given how many of Nintendo's business decisisons of the past have failed, mentioning any of Nintendo's future plans with even just a hint of optimism betrays the fanboyism of the author.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I enjoyed his Iwata asks and his presence in the Nintendo Directs. It's a real shame as he seemed to be a cool guy.

Martius

Liturgist
The last thing he heard was the sound of the ambulance pulling up...

"WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU"

Such things are always sad news. Looks like last year surgery wasn't that big help. I just wonder who will fill up his position later.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Reminder that the last thing we ever heard from him was an apology for a disappointing E3. Reminder that he was one of the few bulwarks stopping Nintendo from going entirely mobile. Reminder that he was humble enough to pose with a bunch of bananas despite being the CEO of a multi billion dollar company just to make his presentations more enjoyable. Reminder that the existence of games like Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 is likely heavily due to Iwata. Reminder that, even if Nintendo has had a rough past few years, Iwata still wanted nothing more than to facilitate the creation of games to make people happy.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Here's where the article starts to fall apart, as it doesn't mention HOW Nintendo has made these characters memorable: By constantly rehashing the characters, (re)relasing their greatest titles and slowly tweaking their image over the years, to the point that they are nothing more than another corporate franchise that shits money. Any personality or depth of character is deliberately kept shallow and as appealing as possible, to the point that these characters have become parodies of themselves.

:nocountryforshitposters:

nocountryforshitposters.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom