Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata has passed away

Keldryn

Arcane
Very sad news. In an era when the major gaming companies are mostly run by "suits" who don't really care about gaming, Iwata was one of the good guys.

You don't see the presidents of EA, UbiSoft, Square-Enix, Sony Computer Entertaiment, or Microsoft's gaming division attempting to engage with their customers the way that Iwata did with the Nintendo Director and Iwata Asks features. A company president who addresses his English-speaking customers in a thick accent with the goofy "| directry | to you" bit is not a man who looks down on his customers.

As a few others have already mentioned, Iwata was likely one of the holdouts preventing Nintendo from jumping on the mobile bandwagon and releasing a flood of products on those platforms.

When asked why he did not initiate "corporate restructuring" after two consecutive fiscal years of operating losses, Iwata's response was: "If we reduce the number of employees for better short-term financial results, however, employee morale will decrease, and I sincerely doubt employees who fear that they may be laid off will be able to develop software titles that could impress people around the world."

From Sean Malstrom's News:

I am not a fan of the term ‘game god’. It implies some developer has become an ‘angel’ and lords over everyone else as ‘worshipers’ of their ‘vision’. The most important entity in the gaming equation is the gamer. But with Satoru Iwata, he was a Game God. He was a game developer. He programmed HAL games and classic Nintendo games. He also understood the business sense of gaming. Gaming, itself, is a very difficult business. This is the reason why Yamauchi picked Iwata to succeed him.

Iwata was not just a passing CEO figure that many companies go through. His statements was a large part of why I began listening closely to the business side of Nintendo.

It was Iwata who said, “The only person who has the right to be selfish is the customer.”

It was Iwata who said, “The programmer does not get to tell the designer what the game cannot do.”

[...]

When I think of Iwata, I think of class. I have read nearly every word Iwata has said to the public for almost a decade. Never did he say anything disparaging of another, never did he sound pessimistic, and never did he crap on anyone. As gamers, Iwata represented the best things we loved about Nintendo. But as a businessman, he represented the best things about business.

It was Iwata who was the driving force behind two of Nintendo's most successful hardware platforms of all time: the DS and the Wii. His vision was to get everybody playing video games. He understood a need to continue to provide challenging, skill-testing games for the hardcore gamers, but the need for "gateway" experiences. The games of the NES era were often very difficult to master, but they were generally easy to pick up and play, given that they featured two-dimensional gameplay and used a controller with a D-pad and two primary action buttons. Modern games are often the opposite; if you've never played a video game before, you need to learn how to navigate a full 3D world by using two analog directional sticks, four shoulder triggers, and four primary action buttons. Those who grew up playing video games made the transition naturally as gaming paradigms changed, and those who are exposed to video games at a young age seem to pick it up pretty easily as well.

The DS and Wii got a lot of adults playing video games before the smartphone and tablet craze got started. It's questionable whether or not many of these new players "moved up" to what most of us here would think of as "real" games, but I do think that Iwata was absolutely correct in thinking that there was a market being underserved by Sony and Microsoft. Most of that demographic has now moved on to smartphones and tablets instead of dedicated game machines, which happened much faster than Iwata -- and probably almost everyone else -- would have predicted or could respond to.

Of any companies involved in gaming, Nintendo is about the only one that I can think of where the person running it seemed truly dedicated to the long-term growth and financial stability of the company. Everyone else seems to change directions at the whim of their shareholders, laying off employees in order to meet short-term financial goals, then ramping up hiring again 6 months later when the next major project gets going.

I've always found the guy and Nintendo on the whole pretty endearing. I'm still not sure why people shit so hard on modern Nintendo, either. I mean sure I could do without all the waggle, gyroscopes, child-proofing and Metroid bastardizations. But that aside, their new games are just as fun as they ever were, and their efforts to recapture the spirit of their old titles have been more successful to me than a lot of Kickstarters or 'spiritual successors'.

It could just be good PR, but they just never seemed lose their soul. The last Mario game I finished spelled out the words 'THANK YOU' in coins when I reached the end. Gaming has largely become EA CallaDuty DewRitos Exclusive DLC, meanwhile Nintendo is still making fun, gameplay-focused games that say 'ssssank you very much-u' for completing them and doing big goofy Japanese presentations. It's endearing, damnit.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Reminder that the last thing we ever heard from him was an apology for a disappointing E3. Reminder that he was one of the few bulwarks stopping Nintendo from going entirely mobile. Reminder that he was humble enough to pose with a bunch of bananas despite being the CEO of a multi billion dollar company just to make his presentations more enjoyable. Reminder that the existence of games like Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 is likely heavily due to Iwata. Reminder that, even if Nintendo has had a rough past few years, Iwata still wanted nothing more than to facilitate the creation of games to make people happy.

:negative:

Black

Arcane
I've always found the guy and Nintendo on the whole pretty endearing. I'm still not sure why people shit so hard on modern Nintendo, either. I mean sure I could do without all the waggle, gyroscopes, child-proofing and Metroid bastardizations. But that aside, their new games are just as fun as they ever were, and their efforts to recapture the spirit of their old titles have been more successful to me than a lot of Kickstarters or 'spiritual successors'.

It could just be good PR, but they just never seemed lose their soul. The last Mario game I finished spelled out the words 'THANK YOU' in coins when I reached the end. Gaming has largely become EA CallaDuty DewRitos Exclusive DLC, meanwhile Nintendo is still making fun, gameplay-focused games that say 'ssssank you very much-u' for completing them and doing big goofy Japanese presentations. It's endearing, damnit.
Nintendo doesn't follow the usual sony/microsoft/journalists circlejerk (Nintendo direct shit all over that idea) so obviously they're evil.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Reminder that the last thing we ever heard from him was an apology for a disappointing E3. Reminder that he was one of the few bulwarks stopping Nintendo from going entirely mobile. Reminder that he was humble enough to pose with a bunch of bananas despite being the CEO of a multi billion dollar company just to make his presentations more enjoyable. Reminder that the existence of games like Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 is likely heavily due to Iwata. Reminder that, even if Nintendo has had a rough past few years, Iwata still wanted nothing more than to facilitate the creation of games to make people happy.

Yeah...it was hard not to like Iwata.

Should the day come when Itoi passes away, don't post this song or else I'll have to call in sick at work. Seriously, it'll destroy me, no joke.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It was Iwata who was the driving force behind (...) the Wii
I thought your post was supposed to champion Iwata?

The Wii was a great console.

It was a great console sales wise. It also had some great games. Too bad they put out so much shovelware. Hardcore gamers snicker about the Wii now, but I guarantee you everyone knows a couple of people who never play video games that bought the Wii just because it was a fad.

I'm curious to see how Nintendo handles things now. The WiiU is a great system in many ways, but Nintendo needs to really impress people since it has under-performed. If the NX has some wacky control scheme or weak system specs, a lot of people are going to be pretty pissed. You would think Nintendo would know that by now, right? Iwata has my utmost respect for many things, one of them being his part he played with the Mother series. It was cool to see Itoi write so fondly of him.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
CJyi3etXAAAjBID.jpg

Black

Arcane
Core/hardcore gamer = morans who always get hyped about the next cod/asscreed/oblibion/killzone/titanfall/destiny/lol and consume, consume, consume.

Forgive me if I don't shed a single tear for those fucks.

Hang on, where did he port PKMN Stadium's code from?

Loved that shit so much.

I'm guessing it's from the stillborn N64DD (disk drive) thingmajig. Stadium was originally meant for it before Nintendo settled on cartridges only for the N64. Iwata probably fit the whole thing into a cartridge in a few hours and then left early to go fuck some bitches.

Stadium had a funny development - the original had ~60 mons and was pretty rough all around. They revamped it and called it Stadium 2...except for the rest of the world, who never got the original. So our Stadium is the japs' Stadium 2, and their Stadium 3 is our Stadium 2. Not unlike the whole brouhaha with Pokemon Blue being originally a revamped version of Red and Green, but we got two versions of Blue with Red and Green's monster selections, and years later we get remakes titled FireRed and GreenLeaf because consistency is for bakas...the Final Fantasy 3/6 inanity doesn't sound so bad in retrospect.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Hang on, where did he port PKMN Stadium's code from?

Loved that shit so much.

I'm guessing it's from the stillborn N64DD (disk drive) thingmajig. Stadium was originally meant for it before Nintendo settled on cartridges only for the N64. Iwata probably fit the whole thing into a cartridge in a few hours and then left early to go fuck some bitches.

Stadium had a funny development - the original had ~60 mons and was pretty rough all around. They revamped it and called it Stadium 2...except for the rest of the world, who never got the original. So our Stadium is the japs' Stadium 2, and their Stadium 3 is our Stadium 2. Not unlike the whole brouhaha with Pokemon Blue being originally a revamped version of Red and Green, but we got two versions of Blue with Red and Green's monster selections, and years later we get remakes titled FireRed and GreenLeaf because consistency is for bakas...the Final Fantasy 3/6 inanity doesn't sound so bad in retrospect.
Dude fuck me I found my N64 and I can't find my Pokemon Stadium

pippin

I've been reading about some of Iwata's work as a programmer and I must admit the dude was a genius. I wish western devs were this professional about their craft. These days company guys won't even care if the game is broken or just halfway done, they'd just release all that shit just to feed youtube "celebrities". Iwata made things work for Nintendo, and this seemingly simple fact turned shovelware into good games. Press F to pay respects indeed.

Now if only they opened their minds when it comes to distribution, ownership and all that jazz...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom