Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I'm actually in the middle of a playthrough, and once again, any area with high grass density still tears the framerate to shit.

Sure, lol

Machocruz

Arcane
Dawg

The point I was making is that it's good publicity. Most general talk about the switch is that nintendo is giving the fanboys everything they want. They kind of are. Metroid Prime 4 won't set the world on fire but it's better than every popular youtuber in existence shitting on nintendo over their streaming bullshit
Wasn't disagreeing with you. Just rambling my own thoughts on the topic of exclusives. My MP4 mention wasn't based on anything you said.

Flexible... You mean like in accommodating all genders? Samus stronk, alone womyn!

Metroid has virtually no following in Japan, then combine that with a first-person? This game is getting made just to use the IP. Everyone needs to know this, because the Jap effrontery to gamers' is now an unbearable outrage. Why can't Nintendo be like Western developers? AAAs are always innovating and making new games; but when they do resurrect IPs, they're spiritually congruous with the material and very gentle to the corpse.

I mean like people don't like anything that looks too strange, exotic, different. Concept artists will tell you that if you want to reach a broad audience, you design things according to mainstream expectations and what they are used to, usually things that call back to the real world in some way. Very rarely are new things accepted. How does this apply to Metroid? Westerners have certain ideas how things "should" look and feel in science fiction. It's my theory that if Metroid was more like conventional space fiction(Star Trek, Star Wars, Interstellar, Alien, etc.), it would have broader appeal. Quasi-realism, militaristic designs, Giger-esque tentacle aliens or humans in make-up aliens, these things that people have become comfortable with. Like have James Cameron, Christopher Nolan, or Ridley Scott hire artists to design things in the game. Halo had funny looking aliens and purple ships, but was grounded with futuristic green army man in a very bland looking space armor firing bullets out of his future machine gun and riding around in future jeeps. Pretty safe stuff. Nothing in Metroid looks grounded, it's pure comic-book logic. Goes for a lot of Japanese games, which is why I think a lot have trouble finding success despite rave reviews and good word-of-mouth. I've seen people say "looks too Japanese/anime" about stuff like Bayonetta, and they go play God of War because they are familiar with Greek mythology. They play fighting games with guys wearing conventional gis and boxing shorts, not Gulity Gear.

Kraszu

Prophet
He's not even wrong tho

Nintendo's strength is that they have 25/50 of the best selling video games and the industry's flat out most valuable ips. Nothing really comes close except GTA and very recently the elder scrolls. And the Elder Scrolls games only have one game that really set the world on fire.
You do know that zelda have emulation on pc?Also most of nintendo games are not even games to be honest.Nintendo sells but they have like 5 IPs.They just repeat the same shit over and over and over.

They add new gameplay elements to they games, Zelda:botw is very creative, and they manage to do the open world correctly. I don't care about new IP if it doesn't offer new gameplay.

And as for weapons breaking it actually works pretty well, there is a cost of engaging in combat, and loosing your better weapon, it also makes ways of dealing with enemies that don't use up your weapon important. In games where you have unbreakable weapons you just end up using one weapon for the rest of the time, also throwing badly damaged weapons at enemies is worthwhile. I don't care how create some new AAA IP is if the gameplay comes down to following an arrow, in Zelda you have interesting explorations where you actually have to find stuff, and you look out for weird things to get korok seeds, you get on high vantage points to find shrines, you get clues from people on where to find important places. Also cooking is important to help you survive or rich some places (replenishing stamina or giving resistance to heat or cold).

As for the hardware price, it is more expensive then what you have in ps4, there is a cost in making something small, and portable. The premium price on some games, and peripherals are a rip off tho, also pay to play mp is bs.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I'm actually in the middle of a playthrough, and once again, any area with high grass density still tears the framerate to shit.

Sure, lol

Okay, you have 24 hours to prove the framerate sticks at a rock solid 30 fps post patch or you're going on the ignore list. I will need video with a framerate counter. Go.

You're the one making the framerate drop claims to begin with. Even post patch. How is burden of proof on me when you made the claims to begin with? You're a fucking retard. If you didn't misunderstand the argument to begin with you wouldn't look like such a faggot. Didn't I agree that the framerate dropped at points? Didn't I say that didn't equal "ALWAYS 15FPS"?? Post patch I've had no problems in "grassy areas" (lol, kys) or the forest, and I'd send some footage if I had a way to capture, but I don't. I wish I did so I could show how much of a fucking lying piece of shit you are. That or you have a defective Switch.

Put me on your ignore list, pussy. That's a win win for me.

Unwanted

Fin

Unwanted
Edgy
That or you have a defective Switch.
lel nindendawg fuxboi Qhuo walhd defaid. Thiete likllke fag handtoy to the numer count dracual, fcxhboi tm gatm dosnt run at consisit fist person speed, just admit your being a liy high my taylor

TC Jr

Scholar
Wish I wasn't a poorfag as I'd like to get one. Agreed with op that regardless of your opinion on the games, they're gameplay heavy. Only thing I'm disappointed in is lack of difficulty in the new 3D Mario's, feels like the mechanics have been stripped back as well.

Not a poorfag and I don't see any reason to get a switch. More mario and zelda? I've played too many of those games already, I don't need more of the same. Monster Hunter World will be on PC so that's less reason to get a switch, and Golden Sun 4 isn't happening, so there goes the last real excuse I would have to need one.
Yeah maybe you're right, I stupidly bought a wiiu near the end of its life and there was nothing really good for it. Free online was a bonus compared to the other consoles, although the online experience was hilariously outdated.

Exhuminator

Arcane
oxp12ahx_998474.jpg

I still can't decide if I find it hilarious, or just sad, that Nintendo had to sell this much of their soul to get Ubisoft on board. Mario now has a GUN. Rabbids cross dress as Mario characters. The promotional artwork gives the impression these two franchises are somehow equal, and deserve to be melded into one. Fucking hilarisad.

Exhuminator

Arcane
The core gameplay itself may prove entertaining, sure. Hopefully folks like yourself will have a good time.

Personally I would find this product more appealing if it didn't have Rabbids in it. I've always found the aesthetic design of Rabbids to be revolting. There's nothing cute about those down syndrome mongoloids.

HansDampf

Arcane
The core gameplay itself may prove entertaining, sure. Hopefully folks like yourself will have a good time.

Personally I would find this product more appealing if it didn't have Rabbids in it. I've always found the aesthetic design of Rabbids to be revolting. There's nothing cute about those down syndrome mongoloids.
Right.
I'd actually be interested in a casual Nintendo X-COM without those dumb Rabbids. The Mario universe has enough suitable characters and enemy designs.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Switch getting a GTA 1 :salute: Truly this is shaping up to be the best new console since playstation 2.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Switch getting a GTA 1 :salute: Truly this is shaping up to be the best new console since playstation 2.

I'm actually looking forward to this game, liked the first one. But (and I know you're retarded Bitler, so try to keep up), this is coming out for PC, Ps4, 3DS, and Vita.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom