Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

MapMan

Arcane
I bought Switch on my trip to Japan. I was lucky enough to snatch the console at Bic Camera in Tokyo. It was a funny event too. Never ever I've seen that many people line up for a game console. Whenever a switch restock happens, it's out in less than an hour. So was the case this time. I walked in, noticed people queuing up for something. I walk to the front and a guy is handing out switch tickets. I go back to the queue. 5 minutes later, the queue is enormous. Half an hour later all the switch consoles are gone. Everyone was buying a switch. It's a crazy world there.

So far I'm playing Zelda. It's really damn good. Also got Mario Odyssey but havn't touched it yet since Zelda is so time consuming.

As someone who isn't much into jRPGs, what's Xenoblade 2? I see a lot of fuss about it but all the material I've seen so far wasn't really descriptive of what the game is and how it plays.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Original Xenoblade was really popular because it was the only proper jRPG for the Wii. That's about it. If it was on any other console it would've received a more lukewarm reception since it was an entirely mediocre game.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Original Xenoblade was really popular because it was the only proper jRPG for the Wii. That's about it. If it was on any other console it would've received a more lukewarm reception since it was an entirely mediocre game.

It's one of the few rpgs that has a 100 hour story though

Doktor Best

Arcane
My Point of View:
Nintendo: Let's make a console that changes the way a gamer plays!
Microsoft & Sony: Let's make a console that can handle better graphics and give a more cinematic experiences!

I don't think Nintendo's overly expensive, gimmicky accessories (think Wii U tablet or sliding joycon development costs that were passed down to the consumer), which exist purely to market how different they are from the competition, is what they should be praised for at all. I would have bought a beefier console with a pro controller included if I could, but this is Nintendo so I know what I am getting into.

Nintendo, as the thread title suggests, is focused on using their beloved IPs to make expertly polished games that hold up over time This is the only reason why anyone should put up with every half-assed gimmick that I (and many developers frankly) end up not using if it can be avoided entirely.

A gimmick is a feature that is impractical, which couldnt be further from the truth in case of the switch. I mean just look at the last generation. The 3DS sold 67 million times, which is 5 times as much as their last generation home console. Especially in Japan, where people use public transportation more often to get to their workplace and much more often play on a handheld while doing so, this is an enormous quality of life improvement, as they can now play the game they got so immersed in last evening while on their way to work. Then there is local multiplayer pretty much anywhere on the fly. Also, Nintendo is now are able to combine their first party development power to create games for one single device.

This is far from being impractical. It is the smartest design decision Nintendo has made for ages and the current success proves it.

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
The hybrid design works really well. At first I also thought it was only a gimmick to help with the marketing but I've been playing it every single time I'm sitting on the toilet. As a matter of fact I'm finding myself longing for it now. I'm even eating more fiber so I can do it more often.

It's a very enjoyable experience. Everyone should try it atleast once.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Japanese love their switch

PS4-v-Nintendo-Switch-1053232.jpg

MapMan

Arcane
The first time you pull the tablet out of the dock and just continue playing without any delay is incredible. I thought it would be a shitty gimmick. but, hot dang, it works.
Are you also amazed by the fact that you can hook up a laptop to a desktop monitor?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Nintendo hit home run with this console, they got 2 audiences, the handheld crowd and those that prefer the old school desktop consoles.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Wait, I thought the Codex liked Wasteland 2?

I'm playing it and it's decent. Certainly not decline.

Vorark

Erudite
I remember during the DS x PSP days the Nintentards would call Sony's portable the Portstation Portable, but it never reached Switch-like levels. :lol:

Nevertheless, good on Nintendo. TWEWY and DS1 are both solid games.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I will never forgive Xenoblade for making it extremely difficult to monitoring comments about Primordia on social media. :( Other than that, I know nothing about it.

MapMan

Arcane
The Internet can come up with a lot of cool inventions but they will be useless unless there's homebrew software to go along with it.

I love the switch in concept, but from what I've played of it the joycon analogue sticks just have really shitty deadzones. It's really hard to do any kind of precision aiming in Zelda, for instance. Sure you can just use a Pro Controller or something but that defeats the purpose of having it be portable.

It's possible I've been spoiled by the Vita's super-sensitive and responsive nubs, but I don't think so.

PrettyDeadman

Original Xenoblade is an amazing game with beautiful world, engaging story, interesting combat mechanics (all characters play differently from each other and can be developed in a number of ways), nice character systems and etc. There weren't a lot of jrpg in the last decade which can compete with it. It's also one of the best rpg to come out in the last decade.
If it were released on more consoles than just Wii it would've been considered one of classic jrpg, similar to better final fanasies or xenosaga.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Nintendo went below and beyond my expectations. Too cheap for fucking PLASTIC, so they use PAPER instead. I don't see the point in this at all, cardboard will wear out in a couple of hours of play and they're selling this garbage for 80 bucks. Knowing nintoddlers they'll still eat this shit up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom