Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mobs feel like massive HP sponges, from the LP I'm watching. And dude uses Kusarigama, which seems broken. Still it takes about twice as long to kill trash mobs as in DS.

Mojobeard

Augur
Mobs feel like massive HP sponges, from the LP I'm watching. And dude uses Kusarigama, which seems broken. Still it takes about twice as long to kill trash mobs as in DS.
Giant sized enemies are more spongey, but they're usually avoidable, or appear from the mist (and so don't respawn). But if killing normal enemies takes him a long time, he's playing awful. Getting critical attacks on enemies either through exhausting their stamina, making them fall, "backstabbing" them, decapitating them with ranged weapons, and so on, are what most of the kills should be. Decap is instant death of course, other attacks do around double to quadruple heavy attack damage.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
HP sponge isn't an issue when you learn how to break Ki. Once you've depleted an enemy of their Ki you can stunlock them for a short while and they take increased damage. If you have something that hits fast and does elemental damage as well, such as the Katana, 2 Katanas and Kusarigama, you can really eat through their HP in seconds. This applies to boss fights as well, which is really nice. Another good thing about Nioh imo is that the bosses play by the same rules as you do.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Four big changes from the soulsborne series:

- You don't want to run out of ki. If something hits you when you're out of ki, they can do a finisher and/or oneshot you.

- If you get hit, don't mash the dodge button. Won't work. You need to hold block which will block the next attack. THEN you can dodge.

- Don't hide behind bosses. Go in, hit them, then dodge away.

- Don't try to dodge through attacks. The iframes feel like they're half of what Bloodborne gives you.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
You can dodge through attacks (makes Muneshige's Iai much easier), but you need to have good timing and know hitboxes well. Dodging around haphazardly like you can in BB or DS3 will usually not work.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I think Muneshige is a lot easier in the full release. I couldn't beat him in the Beta, but I can easily slap his shit now.

Anyhoo, just killed the Ice Princess, first try. Pretty fun fight. Challening but not too bullshitty. Getting a bit bored though. Maybe I'll start over with a new char and do a Ninjutsu run on the side for fun.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I think Muneshige is a lot easier in the full release. I couldn't beat him in the Beta, but I can easily slap his shit now.

Anyhoo, just killed the Ice Princess, first try. Pretty fun fight. Challening but not too bullshitty. Getting a bit bored though. Maybe I'll start over with a new char and do a Ninjutsu run on the side for fun.

Ninjutsu adds lots of fun tools:

-The mega bomb is great for nuking giant Yoki.

-Poison deals heavy DOTs.

-The various bombs/fire shuriken make applying fire debuff for Discord easy enough.

-Auto-revive.

-Anti-Falling.

- Invisibility (makes stealth viable.)

- Lots of excellent passive skills.

Plus the Kusarigama is an excellent weapon. Does it all for me, much more fun than the samurai sword.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've tried out most of the Ninja tools in the Alpha / Betas. I'm mostly interested in trying the Kusarigama and using Ninjutsu with Unlimited Ninjutsu % gear, which weren't available when I tried it.

sullynathan

Arcane
Wait, so with unlimited ninjutsu armor, you don't lose any charges when you used Ninjutsu? I didn't know that in the beta.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yep. Onmyo and Bullets / Arrows all have an equivalent stat. That kind of stat didn't exist in the first Alpha and Beta but it was in the Last Chance demo, which I didn't play.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game was the second best selling game in the UK and brought in the most revenue. It seems to be a
:slamdunk:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The game was the second best selling game in the UK and brought in the most revenue. It seems to be a
:slamdunk:

I can already smell a sequel/spiritual sequel in the works, which is making me excited already. They already have a great framework with this game so whatever they do next should just be needed improvements. My dick is getting hard just thinking about the addition of new weapons, like nunchaku, sai, tonfa, bo staff, fists and so on. :bounce:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I got this today and spent 5 hours playing it and it is worth every damn penny; while Bloodborne feels too hectic and gimmicky the speed here feels just about right.
Honestly this feels better than Bloodborne and the flow of the game is about right in combat, I always thought that game was too fast and I usually didn't feel in control but here the fighting stances help accommodate to esch player's taste and skill.
Of course some stances are better for certain enemies but unlike Souls I feel totally in control of my char when fighting and the more you learn to switch and use the Ki they better it feels, I was switching styles on the fly while bashing Oni with my high sword style, changing to low stand and regenerating my Ki and the dodging out of the way and sticking a couple of hits in before switching to high stance again...simply fun
The item system is hard to get into bit it is damn deep too, feels very much like the Demon creation system in Shin Tensei Megami Nocture where you tried to carry over the special abilities of particular demons when mixing them... so damn japanese and rewarding

All in all this feels different enough from Souls as not to be a ripoff (like Lords of the Fuckoffs) but familiar enough to be very approachable and instantly recognizable
I am very happy and while I agree that enemies could get repetitive (humans, ghoul like enemies, oni and bosses) the revenants add a certain bit of spice plus changing up weapons, stances and even strategies makes the game feel so versatile

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It just dawned on me that you can use those Spirit Stones (the items that give Amrita) to trigger Living Weapons. Could be kinda cheesy due to how OP the Living Weapon can get (mine lasts for 30 seconds now), but I guess it's neat to know that this is a possibility.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It just dawned on me that you can use those Spirit Stones (the items that give Amrita) to trigger Living Weapons. Could be kinda cheesy due to how OP the Living Weapon can get (mine lasts for 30 seconds now), but I guess it's neat to know that this is a possibility.
Yeah I Did that on that first Oni boss, after he whacked me I could not recharge the gauge with the enemies in that area for the fight so I poped a couple of stones and voila, now I know to use that one bosses too

PirateScum

Augur
Just cheesed the Ice Princess. Died first two times, then when I had only 41 hp left and was backpedaling, she lost aggro and moved away from me. A.I. can't handle ~100 meters or something.
Anyway, I finished her off with ranged weapons, since she had only about 1/4 of hp left herself. Feels kinda cheap in hindsight but oh well...

cruel

Cipher
Started playing this and I must say: for anybody who liked DS / Bloodborne franchise, it's an absolute must play. Atmosphere in DS1 was better, but combat here is top notch. I do not regret spending $80 on this.

Hyperion

Arcane
Beat the first mission, sub-mission and twilight mission. Game is a ton of fun, but holy hell do I SUCK. First boss Onryoki whooped my ass a few times because the spin attack felt unavoidable. Guess you just have to run away from it. Been trying a mix of dual swords, and axes and...the axe feels infinitely better. Does insane damage, and seems to be the only weapon that depletes enemies of their stamina bar. Trying to practice with the duals, just not sure which path to go.

Twilight mission was fucking nasty. Every single enemy was a Yokai, Revenants sometimes spawn just from you walking near them. Not really sure how I'd beat bosses without using Living Weapon, hah.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Dual Swords requires the most skill to be good at so don't feel bad if it feels weak. You'll definitely want a weapon buff or a 2kat that comes with natural elem damage since applying debuffs and dishing out large amounts of elemental damage is what they excel at. The final step in mastering the 2kat is reailzing that if you can apply 2 elemental debuffs at the same time the enemy gets hit by a special debuff called Discord. To quote the wiki:

When you stack 2 elemental status effects on a foe, they are inflicted with Discord. Discord heavily slows them and breaks their guard making them stagger with every attack taken. The guard break lasts until the status disappears, far longer than a normal guard break. When the status is applied to humans they become severely slowed and recover Ki much more slowly. All enemies take more damage while the status is in effect.

As you can imagine, it's quite devastating when you can pull it off. Ways to apply to elemental status could be to have two different 2kats, or spec into Ninjutsu for explosive bombs / shuriken to apply burning debuff and then use a 2kat that can apply any other elemental debuff. Enjoy wrecking the ever living shit out of whatever it is that you're fighting against once you pull this off.

Mojobeard

Augur
Finally beat it. Turns out crafting never becomes useful before ng+, random loot stays king. And bosses just get easier towards the end, tengus, tongue monks and 2kat oni stay more dangerous than most of them.

This also stays true:
GxKmz1p.jpg

Hyperion

Arcane
Dual Swords requires the most skill to be good at so don't feel bad if it feels weak. You'll definitely want a weapon buff or a 2kat that comes with natural elem damage since applying debuffs and dishing out large amounts of elemental damage is what they excel at. The final step in mastering the 2kat is reailzing that if you can apply 2 elemental debuffs at the same time the enemy gets hit by a special debuff called Discord. To quote the wiki:

As you can imagine, it's quite devastating when you can pull it off. Ways to apply to elemental status could be to have two different 2kats, or spec into Ninjutsu for explosive bombs / shuriken to apply burning debuff and then use a 2kat that can apply any other elemental debuff. Enjoy wrecking the ever living shit out of whatever it is that you're fighting against once you pull this off.

Thanks a lot, that makes more sense. I really need to get out of the general JRPG mindset and stop saving every item I have for "that situation." Can ele damage be reforged onto a weapon using the Blacksmith? And will using one of those Onmyo talismans allow for dealing double elemental damage, or will one override the other?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom