Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Mouse control and customizable keybiding patch is coming: http://steamcommunity.com/games/485510/announcements/detail/1464096684952531939

Upcoming Update Information 1.21.03 (11/27/2017)

※This update is planned to be implemented on November 30th(JST).

The next update, Version 1.21.03, will feature the following:

- Added camera/action controls for mice.

- Added customizable key bindings for keyboards.

- Fixed an issue with analogue stick sensitivity.

- Fixed an issue that would occasionally cause an error to occur when matchmaking at Torii Gates.

- Fixed other miscellaneous bugs.

###

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I wonder if this game is even playable with KBM. It's twice as fast as DS, with extra shit to press during combat.

Suicidal

Arcane
That's good news. Probably gonna buy it after the update. Or might as well wait till the Christmas sale and hope it gets at least a 10% off.

Is the port good apart from the missing controls? I saw that people were reeeeally angry at it on release (game had like a 55% positive review ratio and most people were complaining about the port). Then again, I noticed that whenever someone complains about performance in a game it runs perfectly on my PC, so either there are a lot of people who expect next gen games to run on their 10-year old calculators or microwaves or their underdeveloped caveman brains cannot into graphical settings and performance optimization.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's good news. Probably gonna buy it after the update. Or might as well wait till the Christmas sale and hope it gets at least a 10% off.

Is the port good apart from the missing controls? I saw that people were reeeeally angry at it on release (game had like a 55% positive review ratio and most people were complaining about the port). Then again, I noticed that whenever someone complains about performance in a game it runs perfectly on my PC, so either there are a lot of people who expect next gen games to run on their 10-year old calculators or microwaves or their underdeveloped caveman brains cannot into graphical settings and performance optimization.

The port runs great for me, no crashes or slowdowns. Mind you, it is capped at 60fps for gameplay and 30fps for cutscenes which is enough to get the '144Hz or bust' crowd all frothing at the mouth and raging. Not the sort of the thing that bothers me, but ymmv.

Suicidal

Arcane

The port runs great for me, no crashes or slowdowns. Mind you, it is capped at 60fps for gameplay and 30fps for cutscenes which is enough to get the '144Hz or bust' crowd all frothing at the mouth and raging. Not the sort of the thing that bothers me, but ymmv.

Thanks. And no, I'm not autistic enough to sperg over a couple of FPS.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I got some really fucking slow ups during Twilight missions, even in that cave with succubus FPS dropped 10s from 60. Only difference are the red ambient lights so I dunno what happened ...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah this is one reason I'm not tempted to buy Nioh. From the LPs I love the combat and like the setting too but the weaponized spergtronic loot system is a complete put off. When I saw some high-level decking guides for the Way of the Strong and Way of the Demon with hours upon hours of grinding, farming, crafting, reforging and tempering I realized Nioh is not for me. This is no feudal Japan Dark Souls, despite some superficial similarities it's a very, very different game inside.

Hyperion

Arcane
D_X Familiarity is local. Equipment weight is global, but not stackable (so Tatenashi is all you need). Enemies defeated is global, and is a good modifier for a Ranged weapon. It's 1% attack per enemy killed, up to 16% I believe. Agility damage bonus is also global. No idea how much it adds at B agility, but it does give damage that's for sure.

I just did Maria on WotSt, and there were 20 corpses right in front of the Shrine, all the result of an "Unnatural Death." Gear levels obviously suck, but I did get 3 Jumonji Spears, all with 15% inheritable Close Combat Damage. It's mutually exclusive with Skill Damage, however, so it's up to you how you do it. Might be better if you roll over the Skill Damage on the Tsurugi, and go for Weaken Armor (Torso), then inherit CCD. Most of them also gave 5 - 7 mil amrita each. May very well be better than Death to Bandits for farming Revenants.

Edit: Forgive my Michael J. Fox hands when trying to take the pictures. Just to give an idea as to what I'm using right now (Plus obligatory Glamurai shot).

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
CCD% soft cap was initially thought to be 33%, but now is assumed to be 43%. 20% from a weapon (it's local), 14% from level 40 Kato, and the Master Swordsman set should put you right there. When you get Futsunushi's Grace, the added CCD will allow you to drop Kato and use Kara-Jishi for the Attack damage buff after using a Skill.

I've been contemplating a build that uses Hideyori's Set + Duals 5pc bonus, 3 piece Izanagi, and 3 piece Tatenashi (along with Todo of course, as it's all heavy), and Blue Dragon since it gives Damage at Full Life (and Damage Reduction while attacking) which I would imagine is separate from ordinary CCD.

It would heavily focus on aggression, big defense, and healing through damage. Plus, Hideyori's swords are unique in that they have dual elements and can apply Discord without need for a Talisman. Extraction Talisman would give me constant Amrita Absorption, which, through Mid Heaven's Light set would heal me (presumably to full), and proc Izanagi's damage buff, and keep the Damage on Full Life bonuses up at all times. Plus 10% more attack so long as I have no Status Ailments, which I generally don't and is basically free damage to my knowledge.

Edit: Just did Secrets of the Dead WotD. Was surprisingly easier than fighting Fox Cunts on WotSt. Why I immediately jumped to Fox Cunts before doing either Osaka DLCs I have no clue. I'm one dumb motherfucker.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
Blocking actually viable here unlike most soul games. The only difficulty in the game honestly comes from making sure your defense multiplier stat up to date and not getting bored with the limited enemy.weapon variety so you dont get 1-2 shotted and burned out. Nioh reminds me of lot of this ps1 game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GYAkwDQhIw

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What. Blocking was so stupid OP in DS1 and DS2 you could go through both games with a good shield in one hand and swinging a salami in the other. I was sooo pissed off when I realized how trivial it is even for an uber-average player like me to go through the vanilla parts of both games when you go turtle.

It's only in the DS2 addons and DS3 that turtling stopped being a viable thing for the beefier mobs and bosses.

Hyperion

Arcane
Nioh is similar with Toughness. Blocking gets particularly useful if you have over 200 toughness, which coincidentally also gives you poise. 300 is even better, and stacks with Guard Ki Reduction on a weapon. Only blocking a cannon shell will empty your Ki Bar with that kinda setup. Mid stance reduces Ki lost on Guard by another 10% I believe, and Dual Swords reduce it even further.

The game gets compared to DS, when NG (obviously) is a more apt analogy. If you played NG, you know that blocking is an essential part of the game. Forget the bullshit notion from Souls that blocking is for scrubs because of the autistic PvP tryhard shit, and hold that L1 button, nigga. Some enemy combos can only be stopped by blocking, while trying to roll out will get you stomped.

It's a welcome change from Dark Souls' formula, and personally I love that heavy armor is awesome again. I just wish some of the heavy sets looked cooler.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just wish some of the heavy sets looked cooler.

I kindda like the style. Yeah, to the European eyes some outfits look like accessories for bizarro gay club but at least the ornamental Jap style is something new and fresh. The Yurop type armor in every single RPG was getting a bit too old.

I'm not fan of the flashes and loot showers and other fireworks, that's why I love the more restrained Dark Souls much more, but at least I appreciate Nioh is not full-on anime.

Hyperion

Arcane
I thought of this idea for my "dream game" a long time ago of allowing the player to remain stationary while attacking by holding the walk key. But I barely walk in games, so maybe it would be better to remove it. I wanna see a really good third person melee system designed for a mouse and KB.

The Last Story had this exact function, actually. Was made by Sakaguchi and co., and is an obvious ode to Final Fantasy, basically rubbing his nuts all over Square Enix's face. It was a Wii exclusive that I believe was only translated as part of Operation: Rainfall.

Shame it was mediocre, though. Fortunately only 20 hours long or so, so you didn't have to suffer much. Antagonist looked painfully similar to Ashley Riot from Vagrant Story...

Jinn

Arcane
It's a welcome change from Dark Souls' formula, and personally I love that heavy armor is awesome again. I just wish some of the heavy sets looked cooler.

And of course I decided to pursue a light armor path in this game (where as I always have gone heavy in Souls games). :negative:

Hyperion

Arcane

And of course I decided to pursue a light armor path in this game (where as I always have gone heavy in Souls games). :negative:
Heavy armor is still a pretty yuge investment, most builds that fully utilize it will hit close to 50 Stamina, if not going all the way to 99 and needing to use precious affixes on Weight Reduction. I wouldn't stress much about it, as you will notice the difference it makes more on higher difficulties. Books of Reincarmation are cheap to start, and fall like leaves from trees from later quests anyway. No need to stress over it.

Know that in heavy armor, with 99 Stamina, and weight reduction on all pieces you will never hit A agility, so it isn't anywhere near Ninja Flipping Havel Freakbeasts.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah this is one reason I'm not tempted to buy Nioh. From the LPs I love the combat and like the setting too but the weaponized spergtronic loot system is a complete put off. When I saw some high-level decking guides for the Way of the Strong and Way of the Demon with hours upon hours of grinding, farming, crafting, reforging and tempering I realized Nioh is not for me. This is no feudal Japan Dark Souls, despite some superficial similarities it's a very, very different game inside.

Yes, I felt like this right at the start of playing and I can see how from this thread and watching gameplay that you could be put off by the loot confetti. However, in actual gameplay it doesn't slow things down hardly at all. All the consumables go into their own list and get moved to the storehouse if the local inventory is full, so you don't have to worry about them and they're always there if you need them. The weapons and armour are a matter of a minute maybe to sort out after a mission and it's just a case of finding out if there's an upgrade to the weapon/armour set of your choice, any weapons that have decent inheritable stats and all the rest get marked for disassembly or sale, depending on your needs.

It's honestly a much better system than in many of these games that shower you with loot, it takes very little time and you're not forever stopping to check if you've got an upgrade by 0.5% DPS or anything. I very rarely touch the inventory until after a mission is finished and even then it takes only a few minutes to sort it out. Maybe it's different after 200+ hours, but I'm 40 hours in and you definitely get your money's worth even if you play it through only once.

As D_X said, you're missing out if you have even a passing interest in the genre. The thread title is misleading, it's not really Souls-like at all apart from the harder bosses, but that doesn't mean it isn't a superb game in it's own right.

Hyperion

Arcane
D_X, Vagrant Story is alright, less about grinding, more about smart use of weapons. It's sort of like a real time Parasite Eve, if you're familiar with that. If you fall in love with it, beware, you can easily clear the game 20+ times on a single playthrough.

As for the armor, I forgot to mention Hideyori has 2 sets. Child of the Sun (Unifier of the Warring States), is the LW one, you get the Text from double fox cunt fight. Armor of the Rising Sun (Mid Heavens Light) is based on being at full life, which is the exact opposite of most LW builds to my knowledge, since they gain boosts when you're in Critical State. This one is gotten from him during the story mission and should be simpler - he's alone, and right before a shrine, so Return to Title spam is an option.

Armor of the Exceptional must need weight reduction on all 5 pieces...real hefty investment.

Hyperion

Arcane
Child of the Sun is the Luck-based one, with Change Attack to Luck.
Armor of the Rising Sun gives damage on full life, damage when under no status ailments (gotta use power pill instead of carnage), and auto-recovery on Amrita Absorb. Full set gives attack damage surge on amrita absorb, dunno how practical of a use it is, supposedly lasts only a second or two. Izanagi gives an Attack buff when you heal (like Auto Recovery). It also has a 2kat that has Fire and Lightning damage as a single affix.

LW nerf is absolutely hysterical. I'm amazed it almost made it through the entire length of the game before it happened. It seemed like such a ridiculous crutch for piss poor players. Schadenfreude indeed!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom