Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know what this game really needed? A Harvest Valley-like poison level. You know what the walkways above the poison really needed? To be filled with small, jittery enemies that fight exclusively with grab attacks.
:rage::rage::rage:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I think I'm missing something here. I've barely touched the Blacksmith or paid any attention to the special effects of armour and weapons so far, as it all appears as just a jumbled mess of numbers to me. I wonder if this is why the honorabru general in the grassy field in the subquest towards the end of the first region either kills me outright or drains my Ki and follows up with a finisher with every combo or dash attack, even when I'm wearing the heaviest armour I have. Or he's just supposed to be that hard, even though I'm a few levels above the recommended. Any tips?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I assume you are talking about Muneshige. Just do him later when he doesn't one/two shot you. The most important thing you need to worry about in gear is the defense and set bonuses. Maybe unlimited X if you are trying to be more ranged/kunai/magic based as well but there are Spirits and an Onmyo buff that can help you with that anyway.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
It's been five Souls games, as well as multiple imitators - shouldn't grab attacks be illegal by now?

Jokes aside, how do you make Ninjutsu work? I've been pumping Dexterity and stocking up on throwables skills, but still they do absolutely pitiful damage. Sure, throwing knives don't cost Ki, and I can spam them, but I'll still need to throw about six of them before the damage equals a single slash of my Odachi in mid stance. Does Ninjutsu come into its own in the lategame/NG+? Because right now it's extremely situational, although I do appreciate the opportunity it creates to deplete the Ki of enemies at range.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
My last char was focused Ninjutsu and he was powerful. Absurdly so. It doesn't take off immediately, however. At first Kunai are good as a supplement, but after the 2nd region they begin to overtake your char as the main way of dealing damage.

Get the Iga set as that increase the scaling for Ninjutsu. Grab any and all items that have +X% damage to throwing items, this stat can be in Charms as well. Use the Aya-Komori for Unlimited Ninjutsu +15% until you get Gyokuto who gives you +75 Ninjutsu Power (this is extremely strong!). Get Shadowround Talisman for Onmyo as that's a buff that gives you a 50% chance to not spend an item when you use it, very good for Ninjutsu items, and this stacks with Aya-Komori, so you are able to spam even more. Paralytic Groundfire is super strong and when the enemy is paralyzed you can just go behind them and unload a bunch of Storm Kunai for massive damage. After a while the Kunai damage starts to slightly taper off, but then you get one last large boost from getting the Ninjutsu Mystic Art, Concealment, that boosts your thrown weapon damage by another huge amount and then it never really begins to decline again after that.

Wunderbar

Arcane
the virgin sekiro vs the Chad Nioh
hCyU4Ws.png

v1rus

Arcane
So, what makes it so different?

Iirc, the main thing being that the combat system in Nioh is deeper, with shitton of customization (but, once the customization is done, is it still deeper?) while the world design suffers.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Nioh isn't an open(ish) world game but a mission select type game where you can repeat old missions and bosses as much as you want. It has Diablo style loot system which is kinda weak in the early game but becomes a min maxing heavan in the late game and NG+. It's got retrievals and bonfires ripped straight from Dark Souls but otherwise it's different.

The combat is better than any FromSoft game but it's overall a very different game. People call it a "soulslike" or Souls clone or whatever but really the only similarity it has with Souls games is the bonfire and retrieval system and the fact that enemies deal a ton of damage.

Dyskolos

Cipher
So, what makes it so different?

Iirc, the main thing being that the combat system in Nioh is deeper, with shitton of customization (but, once the customization is done, is it still deeper?) while the world design suffers.

It probably gains in comparative depth now that Sekiro is out - as in Sekiro gives you one weapon and moveset, Nioh gives you more than a handful and each with three different stances, and Souls gave you a somewhat illusionary choice of many weapons and movesets. It's still very much apples to oranges across the board because different core intention drives different design choices but for what it's worth I generally prefer Nioh to Sekiro. Sekiro beats Nioh in some of the bosses if you get good enough at the deflect timing (which I'm generally not) but the sense of control that comes with changing armor/weapons and actually building stats makes Nioh a better long-term game for me. Plus the gradual refinement of your equipment set - even if it grows annoying like Diablo loot - gives greater replay for ng+ and forward.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Ninja mansion was fun. It could have been bigger and more devilish with the traps, but a nice change of pace nonetheless. Effortlessly blocking the ninjas' puny katana-flailing until they run themselves out of Ki, then hitting them with the FATALITY is satisfying as hell. The combat system is still so, so good.

The boss was on the unremarkable side. Seems to have inherited the Stray Demon's complete inability to deal with me making a beeline for its ass. The game is slowly but surely approaching the "too easy" threshold, which is rather surprising, considering that ten hours ago I was prepared to call it the hardest Souls-like ever.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
You will have some nice surprises in challenge missions, don't worry. I recommend 'meeting on the other side'

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You will have some nice surprises in challenge missions, don't worry. I recommend 'meeting on the other side'

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Username checks out.

Yes, I think most people start feeling a bit OP at around that point on their first playthrough Strange Fellow , but worry not- there's plenty of more difficult missions to come. One of my absolute favourite games of the last 5 years or more.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also when you repeat content on the 3rd difficulty, you may find some mobs changed and no longer quite as easy...

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The game is slowly but surely approaching the "too easy" threshold, which is rather surprising, considering that ten hours ago I was prepared to call it the hardest Souls-like ever.

Hardest part of the game is starting area for me too. After mastering ki pulse, your favorite weapon and getting some good gear, game really became easy.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The difficulty ramps up quite a bit once you get to the DLC areas too, but I'll echo what others have said here and that most of the difficulty of the base game is in the sub/twilight missions. The main mission is just hard enough so that everyone can beat it with a fair challenge. But man some of those subs are quite devilish so be warned.

Suicidal

Arcane
The game is slowly but surely approaching the "too easy" threshold, which is rather surprising, considering that ten hours ago I was prepared to call it the hardest Souls-like ever.

Just wait till the DLC. I also found the main game a bit too easy but then in DLCs I probably died more times than in the entire Dark Souls series combined.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom