Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[NO LONGER MANTAINED] Fallout: New Vegas - Sigourn's Recommended Mods

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Didn't see this answered in the previous pages (decline me if it was and I missed it)...

Is this a good list to start NV for someone who has NOT completed the game yet? Every time I've started this up I've gotten about 3 hours in before getting fed up with Gamebryo and VATS. Last attempt was with the JSawyer mod but it didn't help.

If I'm to give this a proper first-through, should I stay vanilla or use some/all of the mods in the OP?

You are asking that question to someone who has never finished New Vegas and all DLCs and who has never played the game 100% vanilla. My answer: play with my mod list. If you don't like New Vegas afterwards, you will probably never like it.

Vanilla New Vegas is garbage purely from a gameplay (and graphical) point of view. A couple of lighting mods and gameplay mods make a huge difference to me. I still think, however, that JSawyer Ultimate is not exactly the best balance mod, but it just so happened to be the one I built my guide around...

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I just hate the HP bloat that enemies go through on later levels. Seems a bit much to me.

In New Vegas or with my mod list? If it's the latter, JSawyer Ultimate has an option to enable double damage dealt and received, which helps with that. I should get around to using it.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What about this mod ?

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/50203/?

Supposedly people say its good

To be honest it is far too extensive to my liking. Yukichigai Gameplay Tweaks is a similar mod, but at least it has a very simple "feature list" that is easy to read and understand.

The other mod changes way too many things and it would simply be a nightmare to patch.

I have to say NO to Willow. Any mod that adds voiced NPCs or new quests is a big no from me. I'm honestly wondering whether I should keep the guide as it is, or turn it into an overall "good mods" list, but I don't know.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Any mod that adds voiced NPCs or new quests is a big no from me.
Well, I dunno, IMO new content is better than yet another autistic stat shuffling in the name of muh balance.

I personally would be pretty pissed if I was forced to play with that mod, and so would many others. It's why I already made body replacers optional at the request of another user. People are free to install whatever they want on top, be it companions or quest mods and so on, I just won't add it here.

Quillon

Arcane
Do we need to install any other mod/tool from EssArrBee's guide other than the first 4 "green" ones from your list? Also why do we need that guide? Those 4 mods' installation is pretty straightforward...

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Do we need to install any other mod/tool from EssArrBee's guide other than the first 4 "green" ones from your list?

Those four mods are just that, mods. When it comes to tools that guide does a much better job than I could ever do regarding the installation and setup of Mod Organizer, FNVEdit, among others. That's why I suggest you use that guide, explicitly the sections I mentioned. That means we will have the same framework to start modding with.

Quillon

Arcane
Those four mods are just that, mods. When it comes to tools that guide does a much better job than I could ever do regarding the installation and setup of Mod Organizer, FNVEdit, among others. That's why I suggest you use that guide, explicitly the sections I mentioned. That means we will have the same framework to start modding with.
Yeah but do I need to install those tools? f.i. You say to skip LOOT and you list 4 other tools/mods but there are other tools like ddsopt, fnvedit, fnvlodgen, mergeplugin, wyrebash... I remember wyrebash being especially complicated for me, do I need all this shit? I'm opting to follow your guide to do less work to get the game up to speed quickly, not to bury myself in documentation of mods/tools and try to get it all working :P

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Yeah but do I need to install those tools? f.i. You say to skip LOOT and you list 4 other tools/mods but there are other tools like ddsopt, fnvedit, fnvlodgen, mergeplugin, wyrebash... I remember wyrebash being especially complicated for me, do I need all this shit? I'm opting to follow your guide to do less work to get the game up to speed quickly, not to bury myself in documentation of mods/tools and try to get it all working :P

FUCK. You are right. Let me edit that shit right quick.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

There you go, I fixed that part of the guide. It will be much easier now.

Quillon

Arcane

Took ages to install all this shit... got some leftovers not listed in your load order, what to make of these?

zvMlpwV.jpg

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Took ages to install all this shit... got some leftovers not listed in your load order, what to make of these?

zvMlpwV.jpg

Delete them, you don't need them. Make sure to reorder your load order according to the pastebin.

Even better: if it's NOT on the pastebin, do NOT activate it. The pastebin is final when it comes to load order. I see you have both my Bighorner Model Variants etc .esp, and also the original CIB Bighorners .esps, the latter of which aren't needed. Same with the JSawyer ULtimate .esps, or the Manual Reload .esps, and so on.

Just follow the Excel for installation, and the pastebin to know what must be active.

Quillon

Arcane
I ordered the load according to your pastebin as seen above, missing nothing, the last one is Immersive Minigames so I'll deactivate the ones below then. Willl try to get into the game after some defragmentation :P

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I ordered the load according to your pastebin as seen above, missing nothing, the last one is Immersive Minigames so I'll deactivate the ones below then. Willl try to get into the game after some defragmentation :P

Cool!

To be honest, I think my guide is pretty easy to follow. The biggest disadvantage is that because I tend to update it regularly it may break people's load orders if they don't look at the changelog to know what to change (of course, people who start the guide fresh wouldn't have any trouble). So I'll keep updates to a minimum from now on, only when a significant amount of stuff is changed.

Lassi

Barely Literate
Hello,

I found out about your list yesterday and after installing everything correctly (at least I think I did!) I can't get the new game-button to do anything in the main menu. After I click yes when the game asks me if I want to start a new game, nothing happens.
My Mod Organizer keeps on saying there's this stuff in the overwrite-mod, is this normal or did I screw up something? My current load order is available here. The game does work without any mods activated.

Thank you very much for any advice!

Quillon

Arcane
Played a bit, finished with Goodsprings. Game looks good and seems stable so far but too much hanging with pip-boy's equipment screen, every wep & apparel item hangs the game for 3 or so secs when hovered over. Well, overall good enough :P Thanks for the guide.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom