Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[NO LONGER MANTAINED] Fallout: New Vegas - Sigourn's Recommended Mods

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Played a bit, finished with Goodsprings. Game looks good and seems stable so far but too much hanging with pip-boy's equipment screen, every wep & apparel item hangs the game for 3 or so secs when hovered over. Well, overall good enough :P Thanks for the guide.

That's strange, I never had that happen to me. What's your rig?

I'm aware that Revelation UI does make looting more of a hassle as there is a noticeable lag, but not the Pip-Boy equipment screen, that's a first one.

Quillon

Arcane
My rig..hmn, some i5 processor, r9 280x gpu, 8 gigs of ram. Don't think its the below average rig, prolly some mods are conflicting or I did something wrong somehow while installing. Btw is it safe to remove some mods or the compat. patches etc would get fucked up if I did so? Some of the mods are so inconsequential for me that I wouldn't care to install just to ease up on the fucking game engine.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
My rig..hmn, some i5 processor, r9 280x gpu, 8 gigs of ram. Don't think its the below average rig, prolly some mods are conflicting or I did something wrong somehow while installing. Btw is it safe to remove some mods or the compat. patches etc would get fucked up if I did so? Some of the mods are so inconsequential for me that I wouldn't care to install just to ease up on the fucking game engine.

It would be better if you told me which mods are inconsequential, really.

The ones I can think off the top of my head are Better Movement Speed and Bighorner Model Variants. Economy Overhaul can also be removed without issue, but at that point you are making the case easier.

Quillon

Arcane
Well there are too many mods to talk about, I could point 10-20 I guess but no matter, won't mess with it, its annoying but not a gamebreaking problem for me. Its much more stable than when I tried back in january with another smaller guide posted somewhere around here which made the game crash often.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Well there are too many mods to talk about, I could point 10-20 I guess but no matter, won't mess with it, its annoying but not a gamebreaking problem for me. Its much more stable than when I tried back in january with another smaller guide posted somewhere around here which made the game crash often.

Well, I get where you are coming from.

In the future I should probably make a modlist just for gameplay purposes and leave out all the rest.

Quillon

Arcane
I mean its just that I don't care if male motorcycle helmet is too big or not, or if a sound plays when I pick up something, or wearing a patient gown in the first 1 minute of the game. Sure none of them are bad but I would normally not bother with them, to keep things manageable-not too hard on the engine.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I mean its just that I don't care if male motorcycle helmet is too big or not, or if a sound plays when I pick up something, or wearing a patient gown in the first 1 minute of the game. Sure none of them are bad but I would normally not bother with them, to keep things manageable-not too hard on the engine.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Then again, I guarantee you those type of mods will not make any difference on the performance or stability of your game.

Lassi

Barely Literate
Hello,

I found out about your list yesterday and after installing everything correctly (at least I think I did!) I can't get the new game-button to do anything in the main menu. After I click yes when the game asks me if I want to start a new game, nothing happens.
My Mod Organizer keeps on saying there's this stuff in the overwrite-mod, is this normal or did I screw up something? My current load order is available here. The game does work without any mods activated.

Thank you very much for any advice!
This is now fixed after a Reddit PM-discussion with Sigourn. If you have the same problem, make sure your Mod Organizer/profiles/YourModProfileName/fallout.ini has the SCharGenQuest set to 00102037 (SCharGenQuest=00102037). This seems to be a general Fallout New Vegas bug but I don't know what triggers it.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
This is kind of important so I'll say it here: New Vegas Character Expansions has been updated. Because of that, I'm redoing the part of the Compatibility Patches that deal with NPCs. So hopefully I will have it done in half an hour, before I go to bed.

Loganx87

Barely Literate
Quick Question with the list, when it comes to body replacers you gotta choose 1 of those 3 or you have to install all of them?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Quick Question with the list, when it comes to body replacers you gotta choose 1 of those 3 or you have to install all of them?

It depends: some files have the "Optional: needed FOR" tag. That means if you want to use the Compatibility Patch for body replacers, you must install those mods. It is non-negotiable. If you have your body replacers of choice, you could very well use the "no body replacers" compatibility patch, install your mods of choice, and then patch them yourself.

Quillon

Arcane
What can be the cause of intense lighting/bloom or whatever it is in closed-out door spaces? Like Camp McCarran, Crimson Caravan Company, Freeside? Its so bright, can't see 5 meters ahead.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What can be the cause of intense lighting/bloom or whatever it is in closed-out door spaces? Like Camp McCarran, Crimson Caravan Company, Freeside? Its so bright, can't see 5 meters ahead.

Can you take a screenshot and upload it here? Mostly because some people (not you, necessarily) vastly overrate how bright something is. I need to know what you are described is an actual bug (I know Freeside is a particularly buggy location depending on weather mods, so bright that you literally can't make out most details).

In advance: did you follow my list to the letter? And have you been updating it properly? I know the latter point kind of sucks since it is too much work for any user.

Quillon

Arcane
lol can't actually, just removed 2-3 mods I didn't like and can't see the main menu atm somehow. But yeah I installed it to the letter and haven't touched it till 10 mins ago. Anyway, I'm not expecting any solutions from you at this point. Will figure something out, prolly do the whole modding myself.

My only criticism to your guide is the gameplay changing mods being in there, I'm all for bug fixing, gameplay fixing mods but changing something that already perfectly works one way is a no, should be player preference but its your guide, it doesn't say "vanilla fixed guide" etc so its me, not you :P. Also the lighting mod/s makes nights too dark, I hate it, can't play when I can't see anything and I don't understand who likes nights in this game like this. Otherwise pretty good guide :D

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
lol can't actually, just removed 2-3 mods I didn't like and can't see the main menu atm somehow. But yeah I installed it to the letter and haven't touched it till 10 mins ago. Anyway, I'm not expecting any solutions from you at this point. Will figure something out, prolly do the whole modding myself.

My only criticism to your guide is the gameplay changing mods being in there, I'm all for bug fixing, gameplay fixing mods but changing something that already perfectly works one way is a no, should be player preference but its your guide, it doesn't say "vanilla fixed guide" etc so its me, not you :P. Also the lighting mod/s makes nights too dark, I hate it, can't play when I can't see anything and I don't understand who likes nights in this game like this. Otherwise pretty good guide :D

Thanks. I admit freely that I kind of fucked up with the guide. I should have just made a "recommended mods" and not a "Sigourn's mod list", because the latter is literally what my current guide is. A "recommended mods" let's people pick what they want. I guess I got too carried away with the "I want people to play New Vegas without crashes and compatibility issues!" mentality. No one has ever done what I did short of something like one of those "modpacks" (like MGSO for Morrowind), so why should I be the one to do it?

Vicious Wastes is a fantastic mod, and to be honest it's kind of criminal that it is not in my list solely because I'm not using it at the moment...

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Looks like a solid list from what I can see, but you should really consider purging some of the more trivial mods. Like, a mod that fixes a model of one gun? Who honestly gives a shit.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Looks like a solid list from what I can see, but you should really consider purging some of the more trivial mods. Like, a mod that fixes a model of one gun? Who honestly gives a shit.

That's kind of why I said the above.

Honestly, keeping a compatibility patch to tie it all together would only be comfortable if I played with those mods and those mods only. Which is what I do. But I know that a lot of these mods are trivial stuff only I care about. Thing is I can't reasonably keep two different mod lists going on together: my own that I play with, and a separate, different one I keep for other users.

The best I could do would be to make a proper modding guide: things to keep in mind, what to avoid, what to pay attention to, how to fix conflicts, how to troubleshoot stuff, and so on. Things that I've gathered over three years of modding New Vegas.

EDIT: That would not only be much more simple to me, but it would be extremely useful to other users, more so than any "recommended mods" guide I could ever make.

Mojomancer

Novice
Thanks for the list. About to start a new playthrough of the game and was looking for a good list to base my mod selection on.

I usually only play Vanilla+ so I only use texture mods, bug fixes and then make some changes myself in the GECK to clear up minor issues I have.

There's a lot of stuff in that list that I would never have though of looking for that look pretty good.

Thanks again.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Thanks for the list. About to start a new playthrough of the game and was looking for a good list to base my mod selection on.

I usually only play Vanilla+ so I only use texture mods, bug fixes and then make some changes myself in the GECK to clear up minor issues I have.

There's a lot of stuff in that list that I would never have though of looking for that look pretty good.

Thanks again.

You are welcome, friend. I'm glad you decided to use mine as a loose recommendation list, I regret ever making it a "use these specific mods in your playthrough" guide because in the end it is more trouble than help.

Dele

Liturgist
Thanks for the list, think this is the first time i'm able to play new vegas with zero crashes with this amount of mods(even though i added some mods to it)

Mojomancer

Novice
Had a lot of trouble getting Mod Organizer to work, the solution turned out to be uninstalling it and then using the manual install files instead of the installer. Which seems to be a typical fix with tools for games using Bethesda's engine. Once I got it working though?

Everything works great, the game is running smooth, I have all the patches I need installed, got it working with borderless windowed, etc.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Jsawyer is little outdated for me, I rather use Vicious Waste along with Yukichigai gameplay tweaks, and FOOK after a batch patch is made.

Trashos

Arcane
If you guys use YUP, turn the difficulty up a couple of notches. This mod is made by Bethestards. I don't recommend it for serious players, but should be fine for casual ones.

Trashos

Arcane
lol what? YUP is a bugfix collection.

They do a lot of rebalancing as well. Unfortunately, their rebalancing is mainly toning down difficulty. There are fights about it in their forum every now and then. From memory, they made the Nevada Highway Patrol Station fight easier, and eventually I decided to uninstall when they turned eastern Mojave to a cakewalk by tuning down the fire geckos. But these are all from memory, so you might want to check yourself.

Trashos

Arcane
I searched the readme and found nothing related to fire geckos or the Highway Patrol Station. It sucks if it's true, but are you sure it was YUP? The page is very clear about only containing pure bugfixing.

Oh, I am sure it was YUP, my setup is very basic and I ran tests. Their page is just their claims, and they are Bethestards -it's not like they understand what game design is. I love New Vegas, but I have to accept its community for what it is.

Test your game. Or if that's too much to do, check their forum for people getting annoyed or various changes they discuss. The specific changes I mention are the ones I seem to remember. You could try testing them. I am certain there was clueless rebalancing that made me uninstall the mod, deciding to sacrifice the bug-fixing in order to avoid their "design".

EDIT: Their "Posts" page is full of drama on the 1st page already.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom