Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Ti4 Thread. [Meta] Is Codex popamole?

Draskyl is my favourite caster, he's a pretty good player too. Merlini is alright. They're commentators though, more properly speaking - main casters are all shit.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
For some reason there seems to be a penchant for people who go batshit crazy when anything remotely related to hero v hero combat is happening in the game.

They had some chinese guy on for the last day of the TI Qualifiers a few days ago and he was able to sum up what was happening waaaay better than any of the casters were even with semi-broken English.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
rooting for DK cuz Alliance got eliminated.
burning gonna zip-zap-rap hard.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
so what's the story behind Newbee being called racists?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
so what's the story behind Newbee being called racists?
huJvpT2.jpg

Ninjerk

Arcane
DK is making EG look stupid right now. I hate that they're playing each other already :/

EDIT: At least they were when I posted.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Hmm. EG won. They have a Swede in the team tho, so I'm not even mad.

it was a straight pickoff-based lineup vs a push lineup. i have to commend c9 on getting so many picks on krob, who's an awful hero when ganked early, but xboct's panda was just fucking terrible. they should have put him on the krob which is a very easy hero to play, and left panda to dendi.

i don't think c9 is a great team, and I don't believe they'll get through the next game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I've watched a lot of games now. Where are my "viewed a game" items? Damn cheapskates valve, gimme items.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
The toughest/scariest thing about this meta is how easy it is to win by outpicking your opponent. Or to lose by fucking up your draft. Now, I won't state that I remember them precisely, but I just don't remember TI 2&3 having that big amount of absolutely one-sided games (as the ones that we're seeing in the LGD-IG right now - LGD absolutely humiliating IG in the game one, IG responding in kind in the game two). There were some wipes there, but generally, extremely uneven matches there were quite rare and 20 mins victories were extremely rare - now they happen much often.

I guess that's the result of Icefrog trying to buff all heroes simultaneously (while at the same time nerfing the most broken things), so a boatload of different strategies became available and it's quite easy to have a blind spot in the draft, overdefending from one approach while completely overlooking another. And so on. Though, not that I mind - it's just that the majority of teams aren't really prepared for this kind of thing. Some are rather snuffed by it - like, Navi. Puppey was always an unstable drafter, prone to either completely outpicking his opp or losing the draft horribly. And, whereas before they could've compensated for the quirky drafts through their skill, now that's much harder to accomplish and, considering they haven't been training much...

Similarly, the Alliance really relied on excellent implementation of a couple of drafts and they're just not flexible enough to thrive in the current meta (and it is hard to maneuver while drafting if you having a short hero pool). On the other hand, pubber teams like C9 suddenly became much stronger simply by playing lots of pretty much random strats with plethora of various heroes - it's hard to outpick your enemy when you (and probably he too) don't know what the hell is he doing. Doubt that'll do them much good against teams who are both flexible and good, though.

abija

Prophet
IG vs LGD weren't outdrafts, not even close (unless you consider sending 430 on void instead of YYF a self outdraft in last game).
And just because the game doesn't work according to plan doesn't mean teams draft randomly. Some drafts are more stable, others are high risk high reward and every drafter chooses what he thinks is best in that particular moment. Having this amount of flexibility is good for the game even if 2 high risk drafts will usually turn into an onesided game.

called it, c9 didn't move past vici. game was over from that silly level 1 rosh attempt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom