Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Hello again. You know me. I post things in this thread:

"FELD PLAYBACK EXPERIMENT"

MIKK METSNIIT

This is a special screenshot for us, showing our redesigned dialogue engine in action. It’s called the Feld (short for Feld Playback Experiment).

The Feld is a highly advanced tape computer, a prototype lost during the turn-of-the-century Revolution. The machine and it’s copies were appropriated by the ultra-left, raided from the R&D division of Feld Electronics, then lost to the fires. This computer uses long strips of film for feedback (projection), memory (storing on magnetic tape) and interfacing (submit commands in handwriting) purposes.

All our menus are designed around the Feld Playback Experiment. The dialogue engine is just one aspect, although the most important one, as players will spend a lot of time reading text in it. It has to be perfect.

It’s pretty much working as envisioned. Dice rolls are accompanied by a tape fast forward animation, the results are announced by subtle lighting effects. The whole thing makes this nice insect-like sound, very delicate. It wasn’t easy coming up with a menu paradigm that hasn’t been done to death yet – stone slabs, cybercomputer, papyros pages, detectivy notebook paper, black techno triangles – but this is something we feel we can make our own.

As a bonus – it is a part of an in-world mystery.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I think if no shits hit any fans - that should happen soon, but not before Christmas. We love to polish things. Getting that exact sheen, even if it is WIP, is important to us

Prime Junta

Every screenshot with dialog that you've posted has had me LOLing. It is bloody brilliant, all of it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah. The encyclooedia / passive & active skill checks are pure genius. It would be a christmas gift to see all of these roll in motion instead of static picture.

This almost goes into the "too good to be true" territory

Howdy

Wtf is that stuffed bird on the bar all about, and can I steal it?

agris

Arcane
Patron
The dialogue looks spot on.

Merchant: You owe me money
Me: money, what's that?
game info: money is money
Merchant: it's money. now give it to me, you owe me.
Me: You're under arrest. [+1 troll points]

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer

You got it. If you really want to, you can play as a codex troll cop

agris

Arcane
Patron

You got it. If you really want to, you can play as a codex troll cop
I don't know if it's possible, but I want to play as an impulsive, short-tempered cop who completely lacks conviction and crumbles as soon as challenged. I feel like will really test the whole 'advance by failure' method you've talked about.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I think if no shits hit any fans - that should happen soon, but not before Christmas. We love to polish things. Getting that exact sheen, even if it is WIP, is important to us
:bounce:
Some days I can't get any work done because of that :oops:

I liked your facebook page and subbed your channel. I hope you feel thoroughly supported now.

We're very pleased, thank you.

Hey we got some fan art already. Good stuff:

ol0xNjb.jpg

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Hello again. You know me. I post things in this thread:

"FELD PLAYBACK EXPERIMENT"

MIKK METSNIIT

This is a special screenshot for us, showing our redesigned dialogue engine in action. It’s called the Feld (short for Feld Playback Experiment).

The Feld is a highly advanced tape computer, a prototype lost during the turn-of-the-century Revolution. The machine and it’s copies were appropriated by the ultra-left, raided from the R&D division of Feld Electronics, then lost to the fires. This computer uses long strips of film for feedback (projection), memory (storing on magnetic tape) and interfacing (submit commands in handwriting) purposes.

All our menus are designed around the Feld Playback Experiment. The dialogue engine is just one aspect, although the most important one, as players will spend a lot of time reading text in it. It has to be perfect.

It’s pretty much working as envisioned. Dice rolls are accompanied by a tape fast forward animation, the results are announced by subtle lighting effects. The whole thing makes this nice insect-like sound, very delicate. It wasn’t easy coming up with a menu paradigm that hasn’t been done to death yet – stone slabs, cybercomputer, papyros pages, detectivy notebook paper, black techno triangles – but this is something we feel we can make our own.

As a bonus – it is a part of an in-world mystery.

I hope it turns out as nice as it looks. Remember to bribe Infinitron for lots of coverage. Good luck, dev!

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I hope it turns out as nice as it looks. Remember to bribe Infinitron for lots of coverage. Good luck, dev!
Aside from the watermark/logo thingie in the top left corner this is a screenshot from a working build of the game - so no photoshoppin' wizardry involved. Somewhere in this thread there should be a gif of the dialogue window animated during a roll

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Aside from the watermark/logo thingie in the top left corner this is a screenshot from a working build of the game - so no photoshoppin' wizardry involved. Somewhere in this thread there should be a gif of the dialogue window animated during a roll

The amount of detail is really cool. Looks like a natural developement from the oldschool (midschool I guess) look. Don't suppose you guys could get your hands on the fallout and baldurs' gate licences? :)

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer

The amount of detail is really cool. Looks like a natural developement from the oldschool (midschool I guess) look. Don't suppose you guys could get your hands on the fallout and baldurs' gate licences? :)

If either would fall on our doorstep, it would give us pause. Otherwise - fuck 'em - we have a whole new world to show you guys. Right now you actually have no fucking clue how cool it is. Hopefully you'll agree after you've played the game (or read the book, if that gets translated first)

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

If either would fall on our doorstep, it would give us pause. Otherwise - fuck 'em - we have a whole new world to show you guys. Right now you actually have no fucking clue how cool it is. Hopefully you'll agree after you've played the game (or read the book, if that gets translated first)

Your fault for giving off a better impression than the original devs of those franchises are doing today ;)

I'll check out your game when it's out for sure.

Prime Junta

:me quotes self from another thread:

Enough with the fucking sequels and remakes already.

You ZA/UM are doing something new that's old-school in the right way. That's worth a dozen Wasteland 2s, Baldur's Gate 3s, Deus Ex: Counter-Revolutions, System Shock reboots, Blade Runner 2049s, and whatevers. If someone drops the Fallout or BG license on your doorstep, give it to inXile or Beamdog or whoever and keep doing what you're doing.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
:me quotes self from another thread:

Enough with the fucking sequels and remakes already.

You ZA/UM are doing something new that's old-school in the right way. That's worth a dozen Wasteland 2s, Baldur's Gate 3s, Deus Ex: Counter-Revolutions, System Shock reboots, Blade Runner 2049s, and whatevers. If someone drops the Fallout or BG license on your doorstep, give it to inXile or Beamdog or whoever and keep doing what you're doing.

I don't care for remakes either, but sequels? The problem isn't that they happen, it's that the ones we got so far were generally shit.

Just mentioned this stuff because the devs look like they might actually do those franchises justice, anyway. Looking forward to their own original game.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I don't care for remakes either, but sequels? The problem isn't that they happen, it's that the ones we got so far were generally shit.

Just mentioned this stuff because the devs look like they might actually do those franchises justice, anyway. Looking forward to their own original game.

They're often shit, because everything belongs in their own time and also - coming up with something new and original is hard as shit to boot.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

They're often shit, because everything belongs in their own time and also - coming up with something new and original is hard as shit to boot.

Good point I guess. But it's a little sad for some of those old worlds and characters to just... end. As far as the new and original stuff, there'd be less requirement for that in a sequel with an already established world.

Anyhow, I don't want to derail the thread away from your own thing any further.

Go make RPG's great again, dev!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ezeekiel Are you aware that this is a combat system-less RPG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom