Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

It would be flavourful if such invented/transplanted words were consistently used throughout, like in Clockwork Orange for example.
As a one-off thing it just feels out of place.

Words from the devblog concerning intellect skills:

kojkos
himean
pygmees
liberast
pistolette
motor-carriage
Messinian
fourberie
karperie
dideridada

One-off?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just read the new devblog. Damn, that's interesting. I really hope you guys succeed with providing a great experience.
How much do you focus on replay value? In a game like this, it'd be great to see more than a couple of different outcomes.

V_K

Arcane
Words from the devblog concerning intellect skills:

kojkos
himean
pygmees
liberast
pistolette
motor-carriage
Messinian
fourberie
karperie
dideridada

One-off?
Half of those are actual words that have a meaning in English. Most of the others are setting-specific.
Now, if the concept of liberast exists in the NTfwF gameworld, that would alleviate some stylistc concerns. But it still carries too much unnecessary semantic baggage.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not awkward. It's flavourful. Learn to tell the difference.
It would be flavourful if invented words were consistently used throughout, like in Clockwork Orange for example.
As a one-off thing it just feels out of place.
Dude. Your mom was a one-off thing. And now we're having this conversation.
What the fuck, you're coming up with a urmom joke one page later? Son, am disappoint.

V_K

Arcane
"Pistolette" didn't jump out at me because I'm not a French speaker, but it seems to be an even more hillarious example, because apparently in English "pistolette" refers to a kind of dish.
So apparently it's a case of pretentious rather than flavourful. And when you're not a native speaker, you don't do pretentious, because it will inevitably bite you in the ass.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is quite a Sensuki moment.

"I don't think you're doing your game right, what I think you should do..."

"Nah, we're good."

"This'll be the end of you!!"

daveyd

Savant
I notice the website no longer mentions Android / iOS releases, only PC. Have the previously planned mobile ports been scrapped?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
What the fuck, you're coming up with a urmom joke one page later? Son, am disappoint.
I was building up to it.
I notice the website no longer mentions Android / iOS releases, only PC. Have the previously planned mobile ports been scrapped?
I don´t know what the marketing guys have been drinking. Indecisive bunch. I don´t think those plans are scrapped - probably we will have something more concrete to say about that when we hit beta. It is big enough of a thing that it warrants a separate news post - so watch out for that.

daveyd

Savant
While I think a game like this could potentially play well on a tablet, the problem with the mobile game market (among other things) is the pricing. Virtually no one is willing to pay more than a few bucks for a mobile game, considering there are so many "free" games with IAP. So assuming you guys want to sell the PC version for more than 5 bucks, I think you guys are better off releasing the mobile version well after the PC version anyway assuming you want to sell the PC version for more than a few bucks. I'd prefer this game on PC anyway but I might buy an Android version too if it's cheap enough / compatible with my old tablet.

Prime Junta

While I think a game like this could potentially play well on a tablet, the problem with the mobile game market (among other things) is the pricing. Virtually no one is willing to pay more than a few bucks for a mobile game, considering there are so many "free" games with IAP. So assuming you guys want to sell the PC version for more than 5 bucks, I think you guys are better off releasing the mobile version well after the PC version anyway assuming you want to sell the PC version for more than a few bucks. I'd prefer this game on PC anyway but I might buy an Android version too if it's cheap enough / compatible with my old tablet.

They're Communists. Doesn't that mean it's all gonna be free man?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer

They're Communists. Doesn't that mean it's all gonna be free man?

All of those things will be taken into consideration. I doubt giving it away for free will work, necessarily.

Today there was some fan-activity on the Linux front. Who knows what 2017 will bring!?

Marat Sar

ZA/UM
Developer
Whoah, intense stuff guys :D Nary a day on the internet without some pulse raising excitement. Since I've gotten very similar stuff for my writing in Estonian, about this very same world, maybe I can offer some insight. People are used to neologisms in non-modern settings. It doesn't really cross anyone's perceptions of reality if it's removed by an ocean of time and philological space. Hyperjack, yeah, that's probably gonna happen. Liewennyn is a thing. Sure, in Golmiriel. I know all about it. I permit Liewennyn, it doesn't intrude upon my reality. But this world does intrude, it's modern (yet alien) so the neologisms here hit closer to home. They seem like they want to add to our language directly, comment on our times and so on. So some of them WILL seem uncanny.

On top if this, when you're coming up with neologisms, not everyone is going to like all of them. In smaller languages where there's a drought of words, every now and then a language inventor comes along and proposes like 2000 new words. Maybe 20 stick.

This conversation here... I expect there will be MANY more like it.

This, the writing is truly something else.

In short: the English language -- we're going to ride it like we stole it. English isn't the most successful language in the world because it's exclusive. It's a potpourri of creoles, that's why I like it. That's why I agreed to give up my own language in favor of English. (Well, that and money)

I just read the new devblog. Damn, that's interesting. I really hope you guys succeed with providing a great experience.
How much do you focus on replay value? In a game like this, it'd be great to see more than a couple of different outcomes.

There are more than a just a couple. And the different outcomes start straight away, in the beginning of the game. It then slowly cascades as you go along. Think of it as a complex mutating strain. As of now the plan is to have the whole of Martinaise an "open world." We have a moniker of confidence it can be done / is being done. So the order you approach things plays a huge (maddening to write) difference. Also, consider your average day. Most of the permutations that take place, that give you an illusion of change, are withing your own head. Talking to yourself. Forming an opinion on the world, controlling your mood. We've done that in an RPG. Many of the dialogues you have in No Truce are with yourself, inner monologues with the skills I posted about. The philosophical, stylistic, moral ideas you develop in these conversations also ripple. The biggest choice and consequence we have is the ideological one, where you shape a personal world view and an attitude: will you start wearing a tracksuit? Do you start drinking? Do you add just a tiny bit of misogyny to your otherwise pristine progressive pallet? When you go back and play it another time, it's great to see what happens if you try different things in your head. (And yes, there are also KILL / SPARE HIM moments, but done more tastefully. They're just useful story devices to employ every now and then.)

As to replay value: immense, to be honest. Our producer has played the beginning over ten times now and he's still finding out new things. And that's just the intro sequence, the first two or three hours, with little mutations. I really feel like I need to flaunt this today :D. From what I've heard and seen of Age of Decandence, it seems a bit in that direction. More replay than Planescape: Torment, to be honest. That game was pretty linear, although brilliant.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are more than a just a couple. And the different outcomes start straight away, in the beginning of the game. It then slowly cascades as you go along. Think of it as a complex mutating strain. As of now the plan is to have the whole of Martinaise an "open world." We have a moniker of confidence it can be done / is being done. So the order you approach things plays a huge (maddening to write) difference. Also, consider your average day. Most of the permutations that take place, that give you an illusion of change, are withing your own head. Talking to yourself. Forming an opinion on the world, controlling your mood. We've done that in an RPG. Many of the dialogues you have in No Truce are with yourself, inner monologues with the skills I posted about. The philosophical, stylistic, moral ideas you develop in these conversations also ripple. The biggest choice and consequence we have is the ideological one, where you shape a personal world view and an attitude: will you start wearing a tracksuit? Do you start drinking? Do you add just a tiny bit of misogyny to your otherwise pristine progressive pallet? When you go back and play it another time, it's great to see what happens if you try different things in your head. (And yes, there are also KILL / SPARE HIM moments, but done more tastefully. They're just useful story devices to employ every now and then.)

As to replay value: immense, to be honest. Our producer has played the beginning over ten times now and he's still finding out new things. And that's just the intro sequence, the first two or three hours, with little mutations. I really feel like I need to flaunt this today :D. From what I've heard and seen of Age of Decandence, it seems a bit in that direction. More replay than Planescape: Torment, to be honest. That game was pretty linear, although brilliant.
How long is a single playthrough?

And are you by any chance planning a Russian translation?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoah, intense stuff guys :D Nary a day on the internet without some pulse raising excitement. Since I've gotten very similar stuff for my writing in Estonian, about this very same world, maybe I can offer some insight. People are used to neologisms in non-modern settings. It doesn't really cross anyone's perceptions of reality if it's removed by an ocean of time and philological space. Hyperjack, yeah, that's probably gonna happen. Liewennyn is a thing. Sure, in Golmiriel. I know all about it. I permit Liewennyn, it doesn't intrude upon my reality. But this world does intrude, it's modern (yet alien) so the neologisms here hit closer to home. They seem like they want to add to our language directly, comment on our times and so on. So some of them WILL seem uncanny.

On top if this, when you're coming up with neologisms, not everyone is going to like all of them. In smaller languages where there's a drought of words, every now and then a language inventor comes along and proposes like 2000 new words. Maybe 20 stick.

This conversation here... I expect there will be MANY more like it.

This, the writing is truly something else.

In short: the English language -- we're going to ride it like we stole it. English isn't the most successful language in the world because it's exclusive. It's a potpourri of creoles, that's why I like it. That's why I agreed to give up my own language in favor of English. (Well, that and money)

stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
How long is a single playthrough? And are you by any chance planning a Russian translation?
That really depends on a player and how much content you will try to vacuum in a single playthrough. There are some estimates written down on a crumpled piece of paper somewhere in the studio, but Marat Sar should have the best guesstimates at his disposal.

We´re still talking to companies that provide localization services right now and we´ll have more news when we have run the numbers.

Hey, so is mine. We should see if sparks will fly when we rub them together!

No Truce with the Spergerasts!

Thank you, good sir.

GelGel

Educated

Marat Sar

ZA/UM
Developer
Will there be chess-related puzzles?

No. There will be a chess-related naming convention for aerostatics deployed by the airship manufacter Eendracht, where the e2e8 is the entry level nouveau riche model; and the Cardeille (the queen under fire in local Estonian chess terms) is the top of the line.
Only problem is, there won't be any aerostatic vehicles in the game physically, they will be mentioned punily in text. If even that.

Will there be romance?

This has probably been posted, but fuck it.

Yes. But nowhere near what you'd expect. (And definitely not with companions / squad mates.)

Will there be chess-related romance?

Actually -- yes, sort of, maybe?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Liewennyn is a thing. Sure, in Golmiriel. I know all about it. I permit Liewennyn, it doesn't intrude upon my reality.
What's that, is that a reference to something we should be aware of?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom