Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

TC Jr

Scholar
I can't get over how much in love I'm with everything about this.
Likewise, also the new Phoenix Point game, honestly the only two games I can't wait for.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Push play

Or, you know, if you dislike Instagram, try Twitter:

Or if you dislike Instagram AND Twitter, try our Facebook.
In case you dislike social media your´re fucked. Sorry, man.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What kind of RPG mechanics does it have? Is there much combat or is mostly walking around talking to people?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
What kind of RPG mechanics does it have? Is there much combat or is mostly walking around talking to people?
There´s the fabled Story Combat: conflict resolution where the player controls their character through the FELD DEVICE - our dialogue interface et al. So interacting with the world in general - like inspecting things and interfacing with them, talking to characters - or your own neurotic self - or bashing a girl´s tits in, the player´s tool here is the FELD. There is no combat as you know it from the run-of-the-mill cRPGs.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Are there puzzles and things to solve? It sounds like an Adventure Game.

I believe the main thrust of the game's design and draw for players, if it wasn't made sufficiently clear by Kasparov, is the dialogue system. So if you don't like dialogue, you probably won't like NTwtF.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I believe the main thrust of the game's design and draw for players, if it wasn't made sufficiently clear by Kasparov, is the dialogue system. So if you don't like dialogue, you probably won't like NTwtF.

This is my idea of a perfect RPG. All talk with a very deep “dialogue” system.

As an aside, I just realized part of what made TTON unsatisfying: the dialogue options weren’t fun, just lots of pick your color. Part of what made PS:T and Fallout 2 great was all the funny/interesting dialogue options. I expect No Truce will have some hysterical shit.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It all depends on how good the dialogue and story is. If it was the quality of a good novel then it could be great, but games are never that good.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

As an aside, I just realized part of what made TTON unsatisfying: the dialogue options weren’t fun, just lots of pick your color. Part of what made PS:T and Fallout 2 great was all the funny/interesting dialogue options. I expect No Truce will have some hysterical shit.
If they make the dialogue sorter,more to the point and more interactive it will be great. Numenera's writing was shit because there was a endless walls of expeditionary dialogue and not much you know dialogue. For a recent example,Spellforce 3 have really great dialogue system.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If they make the dialogue sorter,more to the point and more interactive it will be great. Numenera's writing was shit because there was a endless walls of expeditionary dialogue and not much you know dialogue. For a recent example,Spellforce 3 have really great dialogue system.

Spellforce 3 hardly has any dialogue system. I only just signed up the dwarf, but there’s barely enough depth/options in the dialogue for it to count as an RPG. Nobody considers the conversations, let alone their structure, to be a selling point for this game.

Great dialogue systems are already tactical, where what you say can quickly get you into trouble or earn you unexpected rewards and you need to do some guesswork to get inside the head of whoever it is you’re talking to: see F1,F2, PS:T. This is why I’m excited about No Truce. Sounds like everything in the dialogue box will be tactical. I’ll admit that Spellforce 3 has a little of this (I wonder how this guy will react if I tell him my last name? Probably not well...), but only a little.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with walls of text. The problem with Numenera (and I liked TTON a lot more than most) was that their conversations were not that interactive, rarely tactical, and there was very little else to the game. Plus, it’s not like Planescape where you could have real stat checks all the time because Numenera’s effort pools don’t work that way and everything has some percentage chance of succeeding. Blech.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Spellforce 3 hardly has any dialogue system. I only just signed up the dwarf, but there’s barely enough depth/options in the dialogue for it to count as an RPG. Nobody considers the conversations, let alone their structure, to be a selling point for this game.

Great dialogue systems are already tactical, where what you say can quickly get you into trouble or earn you unexpected rewards and you need to do some guesswork to get inside the head of whoever it is you’re talking to: see F1,F2, PS:T. This is why I’m excited about No Truce. Sounds like everything in the dialogue box will be tactical. I’ll admit that Spellforce 3 has a little of this (I wonder how this guy will react if I tell him my last name? Probably not well...), but only a little.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with walls of text. The problem with Numenera (and I liked TTON a lot more than most) was that their conversations were not that interactive, rarely tactical, and there was very little else to the game. Plus, it’s not like Planescape where you could have real stat checks all the time because Numenera’s effort pools don’t work that way and everything has some percentage chance of succeeding. Blech.
I am talking about the dialogue system of spellforce3 not the quantity of it. I find it great that it is that realistic. You have an action and then reaction from the person talking to you,then you have a contra reaction. It feels like dialogue between two real people,also there is not much bullshit questions that only retard will ask. It is very interactive. I am not saying thet the game should have exact same thing,i am saying that it will be good if there is that interactivity that spellforce have and dialogue is shorter like in the real world. When somebody is asking you something you don't spew 1000 words,you respond with a few words.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom