Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really like what i am reading so far. When was the last time a videogame tackling this kind of theme?

How would i describe why i like it? It because it is relatable. The fight with your furies/demons/enrinyes/whatevs happens to everyone.

We sometimes think we are more, or less than what we actually are, and eventually the journey of life is about *knowing* who we really are. Making terms with it, and eventually use that knowledge as a strength to get ourselves trough the night.

Unwanted

Neyuzivit

Unwanted
The ufo lamp light looks goofy, the circle is wrong is perspective and far to hard on the edges. But
Thats some damn fine looking ambient night light on the roofs, with welld one unlit sides.
How was that done? Some kind of multiply layer with a mask and then playing with level or transparency?

eminentdomain-night.jpg

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I just remember that part that alcohol you have drunk can help you with something, don't remember where I read this - devblog, or something from Kasparov.
So by all indications it can be attributed to Electrochemistry.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
The ufo lamp light looks goofy, the circle is wrong is perspective and far to hard on the edges. But
Thats some damn fine looking ambient night light on the roofs, with welld one unlit sides.
How was that done? Some kind of multiply layer with a mask and then playing with level or transparency?

I am fairly confident Aleksander Rostov painted the picture as a day-scene before roughly tuning it into a night-scene. It's goal, first and foremost, must have been to establish the mood of that district and provide hints to the setting in general. A mood-shot before more detailed concepts.

This was painted during the pitch phase of the project well over a year ago (maybe more?) when the team was little more than a dedicated skeleton crew of four or five. Someone else should retell that legend, because it was before my time and before Fortress Occident as such.

It is no secret that the setting has been in development for well over a decade and in that period has provided material for innumerable table-top campaigns and a full-blown novel.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Sorry, Brancaleone. I find it very hard to add to what you´ve already said. We could debate the various manifestations of Furies/Erinyes endlessly. After all that is something that is done without end in academical circles. But any more specific than what we´ve already published and we´ll have to start dissecting the plot points and that would be helluva spoilery, I think.

It kind of is the idea that the whole affair is rigged, you know (and not in your favor). That´s also why No Truce! is jokingly labelled "an RPG about being a total failure". Sure, you could view the title as a poetic exaggeration on the author´s part and go on and label it pretentious.
Don´t you agree that in Planescape: Torment all of the NPCs dealt with their own furies, the personal and sometimes very literal demons that would give no quarter whatsoever. Do you think it is a very pretentious game? How about the demons the characters in Pillars of Eternity face?

That's what I meant about extracting a bit more information on what it's all about.
Planescape has very literal demons whose ass you can kick for xp, so I don't really see the comparison with tormenting entities which not even a god can protect from, and which won't stop until they have exacted the last amount of punishment. I guess if you had to look for Planescape's pretentiousness you would find it not in the choice of themes to treat, but in the way it does more often than not (i.e. high-school level, or first year of philosophy undergraduate course, student level of course). Pillar of Eternity has the tragic quality of a busy dial tone, so I don't think it qualifies.

Good luck with the game, the potential seems to be quite high.

P.S. Why are you so obsessed about pretentiousness (which I never mentioned, by the way)? As long as you can back it up, I don't see the problem.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer

P.S. Why are you so obsessed about pretentiousness (which I never mentioned, by the way)? As long as you can back it up, I don't see the problem.

Thanks! Hmm, I guess I had TOUGH GUY's question still doing rounds on my mind. Pretentious has very specific undertones and I found myself still musing over that comment. Your own comments resonated with that process and that's when I wanted to bring Torment into it for comparison's sake.

Brancaleone

Liturgist

Thanks! Hmm, I guess I had TOUGH GUY's question still doing rounds on my mind. Pretentious has very specific undertones and I found myself still musing over that comment. Your own comments resonated with that process and that's when I wanted to bring Torment into it for comparison's sake.
Well, I'd say it's about execution, as it always is. Depends on how the game's content will live up to the title's implications.

To provide a not-that-fitting example (but staying within ancient literature): if you employ the concept of Homeric kleos, and it has a meaningful impact on the game's content, then great, nothing pretentious about it. But if you show kleos off only to turn it into the typical kill-currency to buy power-ups with (Warriors: Legends of Troy, I am talking to you), then, bleargh. Or if you claim (Warriors: Legends of Troy again) to have modelled the game locations after the Hisarlik area (and that assuming it actually has anything to do with the Iliad), when what we are talking about is a Musou beat 'em up where you will barely notice your surroundings, then, no.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it if I were you, given the average level of content, we might actually be needing some well-executed 'pretentiousness' (emphasis on well-executed).

Cadmus

Arcane
Kasparov is my new hero developer. At least until the game turns out to be a shitty flash game that plays like Banner Saga.:prosper:
HUehueheu

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Well, I'd say it's about execution, as it always is. Depends on how the game's content will live up to the title's implications.

To provide a not-that-fitting example (but staying within ancient literature): if you employ the concept of Homeric kleos, and it has a meaningful impact on the game's content, then great, nothing pretentious about it. But if you show kleos off only to turn it into the typical kill-currency to buy power-ups with (Warriors: Legends of Troy, I am talking to you), then, bleargh. Or if you claim (Warriors: Legends of Troy again) to have modelled the game locations after the Hisarlik area (and that assuming it actually has anything to do with the Iliad), when what we are talking about is a Musou beat 'em up where you will barely notice your surroundings, then, no.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it if I were you, given the average level of content, we might actually be needing some well-executed 'pretentiousness' (emphasis on well-executed).

Naw, I'm not losing too much sleep over it. The topic just caught my fancy. Cheers!

Kasparov is my new hero developer. At least until the game turns out to be a shitty flash game that plays like Banner Saga.:prosper:
HUehueheu

D'aw! Thank you! As a reward for your devout worship I'm giving off some free concept art. Hush, it is secret - the project lead hasn't OK-d it, so it is super rare on the internet right now:

I designed some rare equipment you can find in the sewers of Revachol. SOrry about the crappy pic - I took it with my phone...
oto81yNFE_nXrepiKBAef867Vq0s9-7cP3Lpx_TdWvI

Spoilers aside - This week our coder Jaagup (Irve) talks about Blender and how you get from a model to what you've seen in the screenshots.

"Tiling of the World"
ccd5aec198961019b7c09ec624743289

Irve

Human memory has an interesting quirk: events in the past tend to fade and the busy, stressful times become a muddled extent of non-memories — I have years from which I remember: I think I was quite busy at the time.

When I think back a year, I feel definietly the same muddyness of ever-present programming puzzles, with one bright detour to the wonderful land of Blender.

Technical background to tiling
Our art pipeline, as explained by Rostov, starts with sketches and then a rough block-in which gets refined into a nice-looking render. Now: while we could render the whole image at a time we have decided to split the world into smaller tiles.

I don’t remember the exact discussions which led to our solution, but can still summarize one main decision.

We were thinking of doing the world in Pillars of Eternity way: essentially setting only the walkable ground planes and windows into the 3D world and then having a back-drop image without geometry, which occasionally occludes the player. Problems with that were manyfold, but mainly concerned in-world lightning and questions of what can the player see at a given time. Eventually we decided to have a simple 3D block-in world which gets a similar depth-occlusion shader.

This way we have a general understanding of geometry for the dynamic lights and visual raycasts while using a custom shader on the ground world to create the illusion of rich geometry.

A slice of world from an unintended angle

How tiles are made
Now we were faced with an another problem: how to tell which part of the 3D world should show which tile and how to put it there?

The problem of mapping a 2D image to 3D space has been solved for a while and standard tools tend to call it UV mapping, which essentially means that every triangle of a 3D mesh gets its own location on a texture and then the texture is calculated with the right modifications.

As our renders are isometric and have a fixed angle we project them from the screen plane to the mesh. How does the mesh get its projections? Que my entrance music.

By hand the process would look like this in Blender. We create a cuboid which represents the orthographic rendering camera space. Then we join all the different meshes (walkables, barriers, walls etc) into one solid mesh.

Then tell the large joined objects in the scene that they should be intersected with the cuboid (which I started calling Intersector-1 since it reminded me of an old computer game).

Now, since our camera is animated to produce the tiles (a tile for a frame), the intersecting modifiers on every detail cut away all the pieces outside of the camera. For each of those tiles we apply camera-projected UV coordinates, so that the rendered and painted tiles match up exactly once imported to Unity. Then export an FBX file. For every tile.

This routine process is completely automatable.

Blender
Blender has been built with a decision that everything that a user does can also be done from Python. You can observe it by dragging down from the upper menu and scaling or moving the default cube. The lines starting with bpy.ops are the actual function calls and their arguments that you can type into Python console to make them happen again.

bpy.ops in action

While it takes some digging around, this log makes it incredibly easy to create your own plugins for automating any tedious or repetitive task.

My own little slice of Blender

You can create operators, which are small Python classes which run a function when the user wants to. For tiling I have “copy everything to another scene”, “join everything”, “project UV from active camera”, “export frame”, “export everything” etc.

If you want to go an extra mile you can check if the context is right for calling them. And there is a nice way of creating user interface buttons — which then get automatically grayed out if you wrote the polling function right. Eventually you can even write some additional meta-information to create a plugin.

Blender has shown us its nasty side too: it appears that crashes with boolean operations, especially when objects have open meshes or exactly overlapping surfaces. Regardless of automation the artist who builds the block-in has to be careful.

Researching how to modify Blender was fun, the hack-try cycle really short and if I ever need to mess around with automating the program I know that I find it delightful. Now back to the Unity.​

Until next time, doods! (or until a random reply at 3:21 AM on a saturday morning)

ArchAngel

Arcane
This game and Archmage are two games I am most hyped for short term, but none of you can beat my hype for Copper Dreams. But between these 3 games who needs AAA games or snake oil salesmen like Fargo..

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
"MOTOR LORRY OF THE DAY #1"

kinematroopika-150x150.jpg

Robert Kurvitz / Marat Sar

Today we start our seminal, fabled, scandalous, highly controversial “Motor-lorry of the Day” series. That’s right, Martinaise has an intersection. With a long-standing traffic jam. (Perhaps the world’s first isometric traffic jam!). For it, we’ve created some heavy vehicles.

We call them motor lorries, sometimes camions. The drivers are called camionneurs. This is a a stylised render by all means, real pure blood lorries of course have textures as well.

This is the Faln A-6. It’s literally the most boring lorry at the intersection, perhaps in the whole world. Faln, the manufacturer, is an industrial conglomerate. They make houses, tracksuits and heavy vehicles. The houses are terrible, the tracksuits legendary and the vehicles, well, the vehicles are okay I guess.

Saduj

Arcane
Really liking the visuals here and the developers seem to have interesting goals in mind. I'm definitely sold.

Keep up the good work, Fortress Occident. You guys are Tier 1 in my book. :salute:

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Really liking the visuals here and the developers seem to have interesting goals in mind. I'm definitely sold.

Keep up the good work, Fortress Occident. You guys are Tier 1 in my book. :salute:

Thank you. And today we have another Motor Lorry of the Day. I wonder whether it should be "Motor Lorry of the Week" instead :roll:

MOTOR LORRY OF THE DAY #2
kinematroopika-150x150.jpg

Robert Kurvitz
Game Designer

Time again for the legendary, quasi-legendary, mostly forgotten Lorry of the Week! Last week’s entry had people asking: how does it turn? To that I say: I don’t know. We have forwarded the question to our certified genius/notoriously difficult to work with industrial designer, but he has secluded himself in a forest shack for the time being. So I wouldn’t hold my breath.

This week we have the Faln A-Z “Tempo”.

The Tempo used to be called the “Contemporain” before years of lorryman lingo weathered it down to two syllables. With revision 9 the manufacturer followed suit. This truly iconic vehicle from the late thirties has seen two decades of service and multiple revisions. The Faln A-Z (pronounced “a-zed” in the Revachol region) is a trusted haul and a lifestyle choice for lorrymen, poor people and drunkard artists who need to transport large format paintings.

That adorably awkward boxy salon and those two headlights have become synonymous with roadkill, light fascism, romantic memories of a youth misspent “down at the reservoir” – a mythical place on the outskirts of Revachol where “we used to drive in my brother’s Tempo” – and sadly the occasional rape.

Enjoy your week-end, folks.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thought it said 'Furries' for a while lol. Could be pretty cool.

Right now we are actually in the process of redesigning the whole game to incorporate furries. All characters will get a tail and three or four extra sets of nipples.
make it $ 4.99 DLC and i guess you could make some extra bucks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom