Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Neanderthal

Arcane
Thought Alpha Protocol did well wi failure/succeed shit at some points, like wi sniper mission in Rome where Marburgs set up that financier to look like an Al Samad terrorist, you shoot him an you've alerted Marburg, don't pull trigger an you've maintained your cover a bit longer. Get unique perks for each but no idea whether you've failed or succeeded at someat, though Conrads respect goes to a professional approach as always.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Someone on another forum admonished us that we should´t use the word "failure" in the title (of that forum thread) at all - it would put off some people (like Lhynn?). Sure. Whatever. I think it´s time to reconsider the difference between failing and failing. Failing in NO TRUCE is not the end (unless, of course, you manage to end the game in the process...) and is usually followed by immediate consequences that keep your interest piqued (and your eyes on the screen and fingers away from Quickload) and often affect the game world in a way that makes your measly failed check meaningful in the long run. Look at the big picture.
This does make Lhynn's point: reporting success/failure, especially by those names, biases the interpretation of the result. I like that you have obviously given this thought, but I'd prefer to select the option and read the result, and not be told if I explicitly succeeded or failed the skill-check/roll, but rather use the resulting narrative text/actions to decide if I accept the outcome. Especially given how you support fail-states.

Maybe it would be a fun exercise for you developers to try that out? I don't doubt that you shrug off 'failure' and proceed to live with the narrative consequences, but it will impact RPG players who are conditioned against failure/to quickload. Do I care about them? No, not really. But I think it will improve the flow of dialogue and allow more players to experience non-optimal outcomes without quickloading.

Prime Junta

Put another way, if it's written well -- and from the bits you've posted so far, hell yes it is -- players shouldn't need a big ol' [FAILURE] sign to figure out what's going on.

(Plus, if they don't, and the result is funny, such as having an idea they think is tremendous but really ... isn't, so much the better?)

kazgar

Arcane
Put another way, if it's written well -- and from the bits you've posted so far, hell yes it is -- players shouldn't need a big ol' [FAILURE] sign to figure out what's going on.

(Plus, if they don't, and the result is funny, such as having an idea they think is tremendous but really ... isn't, so much the better?)

Default first game mode shouldn't have any markers or signs, but you could provide a summary at the end

"did you know you failed 25% of your checks, congratulations on failing that much in a game about being a failure!"

Give people reason to go back.

Then you could provide the markers/signs as part of a new game+ style alternative mode, but after needing the player to go through the game once without them first.

Then once they've experienced the story and the permutations available, they can decide if they want to metagame or play around with the options. Or they can also choose just to play it again without and see what different types of play provide.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Oh, hey! I´m quoting myself õ_õ

EDIT: here´s your furry, fuckers

"ICE BEAR SARCOPHAGUS"

batuavatur-150x150.png

Kasparov
Concept artist

Concept art for the Ice Bear Sarcophagus, a novelty fridge made by the inexplicably unsuccessful ice cream manufacturers Revachol Ice City. Someone in Revachol Ice City had a friend who was a taxidermist. The formidable Ice Bear Sarcophagus is made of real bear.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Oh you guys - you´re total punslingers! This week our Art Lead posted some art for you to fap to (I´ve taken note that furries are a thing around here and I´m confident there are a few Fallout Equestria fans among you to boot! So, lo and behold! A beast with two backs!).

"EQUESTRIAN MONUMENT OF FILIPPE III"

tumblr_nankm2o1Gk1qkbw4zo1_1280-150x150.jpg

Aleksander Rostov

Have you ever wanted to blow a national budget — not any national budget, but a global superpowers? It is said Filippe III the Squanderer – son of Filippe the II the Opulent and father of Filippe IV the Insane – third and greatest of the filippian kings of Revachol, had his bedroom converted into a treasure chamber where an unfathomable amount of krugerrands, bars of gold, ornate weaponry, armor and various chalices covered the floor and even the walls. There were whispers the king slept on a huge pile of gold like an obese dragon, instead of a bed like a normal person would.

A 3D model straight out of Blender which has yet to receive a paintover layer.

Before you stands the reconstructed statue of that very same Filippe — Filippe the Squanderer, Filippe the Lavish, Old Sumptuous Filippe who even among the filippian kings stood out for severe overspending. The original statue was badly damaged during the retaking of Revachol by Coalition forces – an event which effectively put an end to the revolution that had dethroned the monarchy in Revachol. The kings never returned, the flow of commerce did. And opulence along with it.

Some years ago a group of liberal art-minded individuals (designers mostly) thought it would be “ironic” to re-erect the statue of the most wasteful ruler of Revachol in the poorest part of the city, Martinaise Proper. The statue is supposed to capture the moment it was blown apart, like an instant frozen in time. A rare butterfly, trapped in amber, floating on a sea of shit.

You’ll come upon it in No Truce With The Furies, while exploring the traffic jam in front of the harbour gates. The statue also factors into our nascent politics system (imagine prestige classes, but instead of Spellweaver of the Fangolnir you get Fascist) where it plays an important part in the development of the Liberal.

ArchAngel

Arcane
his posture is too good for a man who supposedly sleep on a pile of bed. i expect a crooked old man
When your mum opened the door last night I also expected a crooked old man, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Exposure to the Codex seems to agree with you, Kasparov :salute:
It is well know that when they get into writers block when working on this game they just visit the Codex to get inspired :M

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
his posture is too good for a man who supposedly sleep on a pile of bed. i expect a crooked old man
Because public monuments are known for their unflattering realism?

Also this. We at Fortress Occident know our equestrian monuments, don´t you worry. I have a coveted Master of Arts in Arts. I liked art so I put art in my art and now I´m driving around in it.That means I know.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Godspeed gents. :salute:

And a good comeback too. Honestly, stick around in the codex men, you might even see GD someday.

daveyd

Savant
I know developers must hate this question but is their any estimated release window more specific than "sometime in 2017"?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom