Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Notch sells Minecraft to M$ for $2.5 billion

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Again, I would never agree that the success of Minecraft is due to blind luck, but I won't be swayed that it is fully merited success nor attributable to Notch or Mojang alone.

If he can repeat the success then its skill, if he can't its luck.
It's not testable because now he has money and fame. So, situation is completely different.

>Notch is a shitty programmer
>Minecraft sucks
>Im suh much better than himz

He is sitting in a gigantic pile of money right now, why don't you make your own game and get rich too?
:hmmm:
Because people usually don't get rich by making a game? It's not like he deliberately made Minecraft to get rich.

fuck minecraft, I played it for 20 minutes and it bored me, I dont understand why the fuck you people play it
notch is a fucking neckbeard retard, one would assume he'd be able to afford a shave and a treadmill by now
You're a subhuman transvestite go and kill yourself.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
fuck minecraft, I played it for 20 minutes and it bored me, I dont understand why the fuck you people play it
notch is a fucking neckbeard retard, one would assume he'd be able to afford a shave and a treadmill by now
:stupid:
I know right? How the fuck can someone like something i don't? Fucking idiots.
You're right, every time i open Minecraft this neck beard stink just comes out of it and infests my room, fucking Notch.
I too hate money, just thinking about it gives me allergies, fuck money, fuck doing something people will recognize you for, let us complain about it to feed our egos and accomplish nothing.

Drax

Arcane
- I don't care if he is John Carmack when intimate but i judge him on his actual work. Minecraft from alpha to beta to 1.0 was fucking slow progress. ONLY AFTER JEB was hired they started to release proper updates regularly.

If you want to acutally see someone smart look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGP7S2Oq0M8#t=210

Dude is fucking working alone and between July and August he wrote own scipting language for his game so that people would be able to mod this game easily without knowing C++. Not only that he added that but also made game run twice as fast + now he can mod game ON FLY through his own scripting language. + through his LTSL people can make new content just scripting stuff.
And that dude makes updates like this every month. Not only he does content but also graphics and design of whole game including advanced economy and stuff.

Now that is amazing programmer.

Now let's look what Notch and Mojang did not:

- make game run well. OPTIFINE mod is like 2 years old now and game is fucking sqare blocks without any shaders
- modAPI which supposedly started after 1.00
- multiplayer API. They just bought bukkit
- actual worthwile content. just read 1.0- 1.8 changes and see how much stuff they added is actual content. And each of those updates took literally months. Most of modders outpace Mojang in everything.

You're basically giving the tired "my kids could have made that" argument that the art world is dealing with for decades. Yeah, but they fucking didn't, did they? Fuck your kids!

That is the point. Minecraft isn't succesful because Notch was awesome programmer or Minecraft is amazing game. It sold this much because of FAD.

Same as Flappy Bird.
:bro:
Brofisted for Limit Theory reference.

Cadmus

Arcane
You're right, every time i open Minecraft this neck beard stink just comes out, fucking Notch.
I too hate money, just thinking about it gives me allergies, fuck money, fuck doing something people will recognize you for, let us complain about it to feed our egos and accomplish nothing.
yeah, I also respect people who made lots of money, what an amazing character trait, truly worth aspirating for
do you also have a poster of naked gaben ramming a banana up his ass? he made even more money, I'm sure

Cthulhu

Prospernaut
If you played Minecraft for 20 minutes, then you haven't really played it at all. It's a game that offers little aside from the ability to hunt, discover, extract resources, and use them to design whatever buildings or mechanisms you want, limited only by your imagination and skill. In 20 minutes you can do nothing but walk around, punch a few trees and maybe find a block of iron ore. Derping around aimlessly, looking at cows, saying "wtf everythn is blocky and no turn-based where's da plot dis gaem sucks!" and ragequitting is tantamount to admitting your utter ineptitude at playing video games of this type.

Hilarious amounts of nerdrage and jealousy ITT. "Ugly fat neckbeard who can't code somehow made two billion shekels?! Well, I'm an ugly fat neckbeard who can't code, where's MY billions?!?!"

Farage

Arcane
Patron
You're right, every time i open Minecraft this neck beard stink just comes out, fucking Notch.
yeah, I also respect people who made lots of money, what an amazing character trait, truly worth aspirating for
do you also have a poster of naked gaben ramming a banana up his ass? he made even more money, I'm sure

I don't admire Notch for being a billionaire. I don't admire him at all.
But i don't fucking blabber like a moron on how his creation is shit and how much better than him i am while having 0 games out.

Cadmus

Arcane
If you played Minecraft for 20 minutes, then you haven't really played it at all. It's a game that offers little aside from the ability to hunt, discover, extract resources, and use them to design whatever buildings or mechanisms you want, limited only by your imagination and skill. In 20 minutes you can do nothing but walk around, punch a few trees and maybe find a block of iron ore. Derping around aimlessly, looking at cows, saying "wtf everythn is blocky and no turn-based where's da plot dis gaem sucks!" and ragequitting is tantamount to admitting your utter ineptitude at playing video games of this type.

Hilarious amounts of nerdrage and jealousy ITT. "Ugly fat neckbeard who can't code somehow made two billion shekels?! Well, I'm an ugly fat neckbeard who can't code, where's MY billions?!?!"
yeah, you're right, I just don't see the point of building shit from blocks. for me, it's almost a non-game, might as well draw shit in microsoft paint with the same results

I don't admire Notch for being a billionaire. I don't admire him at all.
But i don't fucking blabber like a moron on how his creation is shit and how much better than him i am while having 0 games out.

I never said I was better (but I'm at everything) and not having made any game doesn't disqualify me from critiquing one...which I didnt do by the way, I just said its shit and I dont care and he's a faggot. I suspect that you're replying to more people than just me because I never said any of those things you're replying to.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
Because people don't get rich by making shitty games.
Fixed it for ya pal

I never said I was better (but I'm at everything) and not having made any game doesn't disqualify me from critiquing one...which I didnt do by the way, I just said its shit and I dont care and he's a faggot. I suspect that you're replying to more people than just me because I never said any of those things you're replying to.
I kinda am, this whole thread has this shitty attitude, my bad.
Its okay to not like a game, just don't play it and give constructive feedback. But its another thing to criticize it with ad hominem and expect to be right expect me to not use it as well.

Last edited:

buzz

Arcane
In other news of successful stories, I just made 1000 posts on RPGCodex! This experience has been worth more than any money in the world!

:negative:

1270675901380.jpg

Logged+in+just+to+offer+my+feels+_365fd0e215f8cc9c3221f50900448fa9.jpg

Z9z7zLD.jpg

christmas_spending_blues_2_347.jpg

Fuck rich people! :outrage:

Cthulhu

Prospernaut
yeah, you're right, I just don't see the point of building shit from blocks. for me, it's almost a non-game, might as well draw shit in microsoft paint with the same results
You realize that the exact same thing could be said of any other genre, or video games in general? "I just don't see the point of watching boring cutscenes and then selecting one out of three lines of dialogue. for me, it's almost a non-game, might as well write a fanfic novel with the same results". If you don't see the point, then this genre is not for you. Loads of other people have tons of fun playing Minecraft, it lends itself to just about any type of exploratory/constructive/competitive gameplay.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You realize that the exact same thing could be said of any other genre, or video games in general? "I just don't see the point of watching boring cutscenes and then selecting one out of three lines of dialogue. for me, it's almost a non-game, might as well write a fanfic novel with the same results". If you don't see the point, then this genre is not for you. Loads of other people have tons of fun playing Minecraft, it lends itself to just about any type of exploratory/constructive/competitive gameplay.
Your first example is true though. Are you trying to validate the complaint?

toroid

Arcane
Are you fags arguing over the quality of vanilla Minecraft, or the quality of heavily modded Minecraft?

In terms of gameplay vanilla Minecraft is boring shallow garbage. At least when heavily modded it can have some decent progression and structure, and you can make it somewhat challenging. I won't even acknowledge the value of Minecraft as a creative outlet.. if you're gonna pursue that you might as well make a girlfriend in the game too. (I'm saying that using Minecraft as a creative outlet is amazingly time inefficient.)

sbb

Learned
I did a Hardcore nomad game a few weeks ago, was enjoyable. Would recommend.

Hitoshura

Educated
I don't understand why there's so much negativity about Minecraft. Yes, it's a casual game and there are games out there that do better with the same concept.

In fact, I would consider Minecraft a more important game than, say, Divinity: Original Sin for the future revival of complex and interesting game with decently sized teams working on them. For the casual market, either you have these games with unbelievable amount of hand holding (press A to win!) or you have the Facebook/mobile pay to win scam stuff. Minecraft is a significant step up from these games and hopefully with the amount of money involved, companies will try to create more sophisticated games than Minecraft to compete with it because there's clearly a market for that.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Again, I would never agree that the success of Minecraft is due to blind luck, but I won't be swayed that it is fully merited success nor attributable to Notch or Mojang alone.

If he can repeat the success then its skill, if he can't its luck.
It's not testable because now he has money and fame. So, situation is completely different.

Sure its testable. Rich people lose tons of money all the time. Notch can prove he understands the business, by investing in profitable games or companies.

Edit:
Or he could make a new game under an assumed name. Then when it gets big, do the big reveal. Easy.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I have nothing against Notch. Unfortunately with $2 billion he's going to fund a lot of awful shit games.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
So now Notch has more money than Gaben?

:updatedmytxt:

No, Valve is worth plenty more than that.

I didn't say Valve,I said he has more money than Gaben,according to wikipedia/Forbes Gaben is worth 1.3 billions,Notch is worth more than that now,he has 71% of Mojang which menas he will get about 1.8 of those 2.5 billions

Last edited:

Redlands

Arcane
I don't think all that money is going to make Notch a very happy person.

I completely agree, especially after reading his "goodbye" message. It's pretty clear he didn't really expect or plan this thing to become a huge success. From what I gather, he just seems like some dude that likes making (and probably playing) games: he might not be any good at it, but you don't have to be awesome at something to do it. But then so many people got into it, and it became this huge thing. If you're not expecting that level of success to happen, it can get overwhelming. But you have to go along with it, because you don't really have any other choice when it gets out of your control. And it's not like it isn't nice for a while to have people like something you've created.

But then the reality sets in. I'm not really surprised Minecraft development slowed down so much: you have to consider all of the non-coding stuff he'd have to do every day, like replying to emails, having meetings in the office with the Mojang staff and representatives from things like the government, big game publishers, and the throng of "game journalists" that want to ask you retarded questions constantly. And, of course, everything you do becomes a big deal because you're Notch. You've stopped being a person, and are just an avatar that millions of people are judging by a confusing mess of contradictory, impossible-to-meet expectations.

It's one thing if you know this ahead of time (and even then it catches you off-guard). But Notch really isn't the type of guy who wants all of that attention. He just wants to mess around and make games (shitty or whatever) for his own amusement, and now he can't do that without people complaining (reasonably or not) that he isn't working on Minecraft.

He's been compared to Phil Fish a lot, because of being a one-hit wonder. The big difference is the intent behind the one hit. Notch got his through a few good ideas, good timing and dumb luck; Phil Fish got his by using his connections to leverage an award. Notch fucked up a lot, but seemed well-intentioned; Phil Fish is dog shit wrapped up in human skin, sideburns and hipsterisms.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom