Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Notch sells Minecraft to M$ for $2.5 billion

Destroid

Arcane
A different hooker every day for the rest of his life.

Drax

Arcane
Even if he wants to be involved, he doesn't need to be the actual manager of the company, YOU HAVE MONEY TO HIRE 10 PEOPLE FOR EACH POSITION and fucking just jackoff everyday forever...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If I were him I would take that money and run as well. And you'd never hear from me ever again under the name Notch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-18-what-next-for-minecraft-on-playstation

What next for Minecraft on PlayStation?
Microsoft and Sony find themselves in a curious position.

jpg

Now Xbox maker Microsoft owns the phenomenally successful block-placing sandbox Minecraft, what will happen to the game on PlayStation platforms?

Earlier this week Microsoft announced it had bought Mojang and Minecraft in a deal worth $2.5bn.

In a statement Xbox boss Phil Spencer vowed to continue to support Minecraft on a variety of platforms, including Xbox rival PlayStation. Let's look at his statement in detail.

• At Microsoft, we believe in the power of content to unite people. Minecraft adds diversity to our game portfolio and helps us reach new gamers across multiple platforms. Gaming is the top activity across devices and we see great potential to continue to grow the Minecraft community and nurture the franchise. That is why we plan to continue to make Minecraft available across platforms - including iOS, Android and PlayStation, in addition to Xbox and PC.
Spencer's statement suggests Minecraft has a future on PlayStation, at least as far as Microsoft is concerned. But let's turn our attention to Minecraft maker Mojang, which issued a statement of its own following the announcement of the deal.

In a FAQ on Mojang's website, the following question was asked: "What about the other editions of Minecraft? Will they stop being developed?"

Here's Mojang's answer:

• There's no reason for the development, sales, and support of the PC/Mac, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Vita, iOS, and Android versions of Minecraft to stop. Of course, Microsoft can't make decisions for other companies or predict the choices that they might make in the future.
That last sentence is key: even if Microsoft continues to support Minecraft on competing platforms, such as PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and Vita, Sony may decide to pull the plug. After all, Sony is now in the curious position of selling a game wholly owned, developed and published by Microsoft.

But the first order of business is to tackle the PS Vita version, which still hasn't been released. In fact it still doesn't have a release date.

Back in August Sony released new footage of Minecraft's upcoming Vita Edition, which shrinks the game down for portable play. Minecraft on Vita is supposed to be a Cross-Buy title with the PS3 version, and you can then upgrade to the PS4 edition for a small fee (around £4). Check out footage in the video below.

It's clear how important Minecraft is to Sony. Sony UK boss Fergal Gara told Eurogamer in an interview conducted a week before Microsoft announced it had bought Mojang that Minecraft could be Vita's "most powerful release of the year". "That could be an extraordinary release for Vita," he added. And Minecraft for PS3 was the best-selling PlayStation 3 game on the PlayStation Store in August - as it was in July. And June. And so on.

So, is the Vita version still on? A Sony spokesperson told Eurogamer this week that, while the company couldn't comment on the acquisition, "there are no anticipated changes to the Minecraft lineup".

That suggests the Vita version is still on and the PS3 and PS4 versions are here to stay.

Microsoft has made its statement, but what will it do? Its keeping its cards close to its chest for now as it works to complete the Mojang deal before the end of the year, but analysts believe the gargantuan corporation will be keen to cash in on its new prize asset, as you'd expect.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter told Eurogamer he believes Microsoft will create Xbox-exclusive content rather than remove the game from sale on competing platforms.

"I'm sure that Microsoft will debut content on the Xbox platforms and release them later on other platforms," he said.

"I also expect Microsoft-owned characters like Master Chief or Marcus Fenix to end up in Minecraft exclusively on Xbox. I don't expect them to destroy the brand by pulling it off of other platforms."

Piers Harding-Rolls, analyst at IHS Technology, agrees. "Ideally, I think Microsoft would like to make its own devices the best place to play Minecraft and I can see some form of exclusivity on updates - probably timed - to promote its devices over other platforms."

Harding-Rolls sees the potential for certain services within Minecraft being console exclusive, such as multiplayer modes. But if Microsoft were to make Minecraft console exclusive anywhere, it's likely to be in specific territories, such as China.

But, generally, there's a feeling that Microsoft will be keen to keep Minecraft multiplatform. Indeed Microsoft may benefit from such a strategy.

"Minecraft's multiplatform success is a benefit to Microsoft and extends the company's reach overnight," Harding-Rolls said.

"It enables the company to reach and understand gamers not only on its own platforms but across the most popular third-party devices as well and that's commercially powerful."

Harding-Rolls added that Sony, not Microsoft, will be the company to watch when it comes to Minecraft's future on PlayStation.

"I'm not sure Sony will be keen to have Microsoft-owned content on its platforms and that puts Sony in a difficult position with a tough choice: supporting Microsoft content or winding down a popular title. Neither is particularly palatable."

Microsoft has already hinted at its long-term vision for Minecraft. Here's Spencer again, talking about the future.

• Our investments in cloud, Xbox Live and mobile technology will enable players to benefit from richer and faster worlds, more powerful development tools, and more opportunities to connect with the Minecraft community.
In July Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella revealed his vision for Microsoft in a lengthy manifesto. Buried within it was a note about gaming, which he described as "the single biggest digital life category" in a "mobile-first world". That's a lot of corporate doublespeak, but the gist is Minecraft's future is not on a single platform, or even a couple, but many.

Expect Minecraft to pop up across Microsoft's family of platforms: Windows PC and Xbox, of course, as well as smartphones, Surface tablets and whatever else it has up its sleeve. But why stop there? Imagine a version of Minecraft with every copy of Windows. Imagine a virtual reality version of Minecraft exclusive to Microsoft's rumoured virtual reality offering.

For now, though, Minecraft on PlayStation seems safe. But the future is less certain. And if Microsoft ever gets around to making a Minecraft 2 - or whatever the next game or experience is called - PlayStation owners will no doubt be left out.

Dr Tomo

Learned
So now Notch has more money than Gaben?

:updatedmytxt:

No, Valve is worth plenty more than that.

I didn't say Valve,I said he has more money than Gaben,according to wikipedia/Forbes Gaben is worth 1.3 billions,Notch is worth more than that now,he has 71% of Mojang which menas he will get about 1.8 of those 2.5 billions
Problem with Forbes analysis is that the company has to be public and since Valve is privately owned we can assume he has a lot more since he basically has a monopoly in pc digital distribution. The only thing we know for certain is that there are 75 million users with used to be 10 million users activ per day, but now dropped consistently to 6 million (mostly likely the reason is summer unless it is the summer sale).

Multi-headed Cow

Notch becoming honorary American.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/...egamansion_from_beyonce_and_jayz_for_70mm.php

WHAT THE... No part of this story makes any sense, but we'll tell it to you anyway: back in August, a completely ridiculous spec megamansion hit the market in Beverly Hills asking $85 million—it's outfitted with a candy room, a car showroom, vodka and tequila bars, a 54-foot curved glass door that opens onto the pool, eight bedrooms, 15 bathrooms, apartment-sized closets, and a movie theater, and even the listing called it "an overwhelming sensory experience"—and somehow it stoked fevered bidding wars. Combatants included Most Important Couple in the World Beyoncé and Jay-Z, and word came earlier this month that they were winning with a $70 million offer. The house has just sold for $70 million ... but to Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson. "Cases of Dom Perignon were part of the deal."

:kwafuckyeah:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/...egamansion_from_beyonce_and_jayz_for_70mm.php

WHAT THE... No part of this story makes any sense, but we'll tell it to you anyway: back in August, a completely ridiculous spec megamansion hit the market in Beverly Hills asking $85 million—it's outfitted with a candy room, a car showroom, vodka and tequila bars, a 54-foot curved glass door that opens onto the pool, eight bedrooms, 15 bathrooms, apartment-sized closets, and a movie theater, and even the listing called it "an overwhelming sensory experience"—and somehow it stoked fevered bidding wars. Combatants included Most Important Couple in the World Beyoncé and Jay-Z, and word came earlier this month that they were winning with a $70 million offer. The house has just sold for $70 million ... but to Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson. "Cases of Dom Perignon were part of the deal."

YOldrk0.gif

dryan

Arcane

It was the candy room that put it over the top for Notch.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

YOldrk0.gif

He should spend that money to help revive bunch old strategy franchises like he did with Age of Wonders, maybe Lords of Realm and Master of Orion or maybe give money to Obsidian to finally make a proper RPG.

I would totally become an angel investor if I sold my company for $2 billion. Think of all the promising-yet-failed Kickstarters that you could breathe new life into with only a fraction of that money, with ultimate chances of profit as well.

I would absolutely not do what Notch is bound to do, which blow it all on houses, cars and mail order brides.

I called it a few moths ago.

I suppose next we're going to hear that the unimaginative dick will buy a fleet of cars for a ridiculous sum of money.

Multi-headed Cow

He won't need the mail order brides though. He'll just show up at random schools and tell the kids that he made Minecraft and would they like to follow him back to his dedicated candy room.

0NMHMh1.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
Dude has like 4 bilion in his pocket. 70mln is like nothing to him.

Turjan

Arcane
Ugly as shit.
That was my first reaction too. The pool and the location is nice, though LA isn't exactly beautiful. Very few of the smaller locations look nice. Most of the house looks like a cross of a department store and a dentist's office.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Wonder if it's his taste(lessness) or all of it was there when he bought the house. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom