Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Numenera: Monte Cook's new 'Space Fantasy' rpg.

aleph

Arcane
EDIT: Assuming you did mean PlaneScape, I'm afraid not. As far as I'm aware, the setting has been retconned out of existence. I'm sure one of the resident D&D players can explain.

There is nothing to explain, Wizards just threw most of the old cosmology out of the window in favor of a streamlined ans simplified one when they created 4th edition. Already in 3rd edition it was barely mentioned.

m_s0

Arcane
Part of me would like to see more Planescape stuff, part of me is glad that they don't give a shit and leave it alone.

Misconnected

Savant
Part of me would like to see more Planescape stuff, part of me is glad that they don't give a shit and leave it alone.

I suspect you're right and they would have crashed the setting. But I'm really annoyed they don't make some really fucking high-res scans of the line and release them as PDFs and POD.

... Actually, I wish everyone would do that with their stuff. I lost most of my gaming materials from the early 80s to the early 90s in a fire, and replacing that now with used books would cost me approximately 5 truckloads of goldbars. It's completely retarded.

Alchemist

Arcane
I suspect you're right and they would have crashed the setting. But I'm really annoyed they don't make some really fucking high-res scans of the line and release them as PDFs and POD.

... Actually, I wish everyone would do that with their stuff. I lost most of my gaming materials from the early 80s to the early 90s in a fire, and replacing that now with used books would cost me approximately 5 truckloads of goldbars. It's completely retarded.
They have some of the Planescape stuff in PDF on dndclassics.com - but not POD - and no core box set yet. They seem to be slowly moving through releasing old material though. I haven't bought many things there but what I've gotten has been of decent scan quality.

A POD option would be great indeed - though I know that takes a bit more of a process on their end (I've set up POD's myself before). It might be a purely marketing decision too - in case they plan to do deluxe reprints like they did with the core rulebooks.

Misconnected

Savant
Thanks. And man, I hope you're right about that last bit. I'd definitely buy hardcover re-releases of the boxed sets. Even the bloodwar one.

m_s0

Arcane
Yup. You'd think they'd be all over that digital (not to mention POD) thing just to kill (well, try) the used books market.
A POD option would be great indeed - though I know that takes a bit more of a process on their end (I've set up POD's myself before). It might be a purely marketing decision too - in case they plan to do deluxe reprints like they did with the core rulebooks.
Haven't the core 2ed (possibly among other WotC stuff - I don't really follow any of that, but I think I've seen some stuff around) books been available on POD for quite some time now? Or were these some sort of limited commemorative editions that I've seen sold? Either way it's safe to say that Planescape probably isn't a priority for them.

It would be pretty stupid of them to miss the ToN hype window, though. It's as close as it's going to get to (free) exposition for an old, discontinued, relatively niche setting like that.

Already no one is interested in this dumb garbage anymore, what a fad. Even joe 6 packs find it insulting to their intelligence.
This guy seems to like it:

+M

Last edited:

Misconnected

Savant
That guy likes WoD. Obviously he's wrong about eeeeverything!

Slightly more seriously, I haven't tried Omnomnom yet, but I very much look forward to. The setting is solid and interesting. The system is probably ridiculously lite by Codex standards, but for a few one-off's that a strength as far as I'm concerned.

On the AD&D2e cores, the re-release is still sold, so getting a hold of them is no problem.

Destroid

Arcane
Well sometimes they are.

6o1YRxz.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
All that shit is worth $2 at best, to be used as laughing material or an example of "how not to do a pnp system"

Misconnected

Savant
Does anyone know if it's a huge disappointment elsewhere or just the codex?

Just on the Codex, pretty much. It's an interesting and pretty well-realised setting, with the kind of light-weight, cinematic system that is guaranteed to give a True Codexer hives.

Alchemist

Arcane
Does anyone know if it's a huge disappointment elsewhere or just the codex?
It seems pretty well-received outside the Codex. I think it's worth checking out if you like science fantasy settings, even if it's only for the setting material, adventures and weird monster / tech ideas.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah, the holo augmentations the one guy had took me a bit to actually figure out what they were. I thought he might have been a psychic of some sort at first. Then I realized that's stupid.

I actually like Numenera a lot more than most people around here from what I've seen, and have an interest PnP pedagogy, but I couldn't get more than a minute into that video. Monte Cook's voice is so grating.

Edit: Typos

How to play Numenera:

Don't play Numenera.

And I didn't need 34 minutes to establish it!

I know you're just being pithy, but I honestly think Numenera gets a bit of a bad rap around here. It's one of the best PnP games I've found for kids or newcomers to the medium; due to the simplicity of the rules it's pretty easy for anyone to pick up and play (I recently introduced my 9 year-old nephew to PnP via Numenera and he and his two friends had no difficulty figuring out the basic mechanics), and makes a great "baby's first RPG". Sure, most of the codexer's hanging around The Gazebo have been playing PnP for at least a decade and like to think themselves to refined to touch it, but no one's ever said that oenophiles have to shit on grape juice.
It's biggest faults in my view are the combat system, and the scarcity and reskinning of character options.

Also I'm a sucker for space-fantasy and I think the art is quite nice, but YMMV on those points.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom