Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Numenera: Monte Cook's new 'Space Fantasy' rpg.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
When Alex reviewed the game, he made it sound like it wasn't good even for a 'simple' game, with plenty of trap character options and poor balance.

There are also pnp rpgs specifically made for children and people just learning.

Alex

Arcane
When Alex reviewed the game, he made it sound like it wasn't good even for a 'simple' game, with plenty of trap character options and poor balance.

There are also pnp rpgs specifically made for children and people just learning.

My apologies, then. I didn't mean it that way. What I meant wasn't that the character building options weren't "balanced". I mean, maybe some are more powerful than others, but if we are talking about numbers (what difficulty numbers you can beat, how much damage you can dish, etc), there aren't any glaring issues. What annoyed me is that some options are a whole lot more interesting than others. For instance, an illusionist PC's powers are limited only by his imagination (and a really huge volume). However, someone who masters defense doesn't get anything half as interesting.

I suppose Numenera could be a good for a beginning group, though I don't think it would work very well if the GM is a beginner as well. Also, I would much rather use something like Dungeoneer (the Fighting Fantasy RPG, not that board game). Numenera is kinda weird because it tries to leave behind some of the traditional RPG stuff, but it doesn't embrace the indie way of thinking. I thought this would please neither, but I guess I was wrong.

...some options are a whole lot more interesting than others. For instance, an illusionist PC's powers are limited only by his imagination (and a really huge volume). However, someone who masters defense doesn't get anything half as interesting.
I suppose Numenera could be a good for a beginning group, though I don't think it would work very well if the GM is a beginner as well.

I agree with this completely. It's definitely more of a 'beer and pretzels' style-game for my group when we run it, but a two-session Numenera adventure can be a nice little detox from a 4 month long crunch-heavy campaign.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'm looking at this now, and while it's obviously simplistic in rules, which upsets me, the game world itself is goddamn interesting and imaginative. Codex should run SOMETHING with it in a game. If you can get a good, reliable DM.

Destroid

Arcane
So I was thinking about the sexist and problematic representation of women in the form of the Nibovian Wife, and it got me thinking: Would the people upset by this monster be at all pleased if a male version were also implemented?

NIBOVIAN HUSBAND 3 (9) These biological constructs appear to be beautiful male humans. Their only function, however, is to seduce female humans so they can get impregnate them. Pregnancy in a woman opens a transdimensional rift inside its womb, giving an ultraterrestrial (such as an abykos, an erynth grask or any ultraterrestrial creature the GM wishes) access to this level of existence. The time required for “gestation,” which is actually the aligning of phase changes to create the rift, ranges from ten minutes to nine months. When the ultraterrestrial creature is “born,” the Nibovian Husband forces the woman to nurture it as if it were a child, even though it clearly is not. During this time, the construct defends the “child” fiercely, using incredible strength and resilience. The young creature develops quickly, and its first and only compulsion is to hunt down and kill its “mother.” Once it does so, it is free to do as it pleases in the world. Nibovian Husbands are likely the cause of many ultraterrestrials currently in the Ninth World. Motive: Seduction for reproduction, defense of its “offspring” Environment: Anywhere Health: 9 Damage Inflicted: 5 points Armor: 2 Movement: Short Modifications: Resists mental effects as level 4. Combat: Nibovian husbands attack with their fists, which pummel with a strength that betrays their inhuman nature. Their flesh is as resilient as armor. Interaction: As long as you give Nibovian husbands what they want, they are kind and eager to please. They can never be convinced to abandon their imperative (reproducing and nurturing their terrible child), but on other issues, they can be perfectly reasonable. Use: A strange encounter with Nibovian husband can introduce the concept of otherdimensional beings in a horrific way. The ancients explored other dimensions and interacted with ultraterrestrials, but in the Ninth World, such beings are thought of as demons. Loot: The inner workings of a Nibovian wife can provide 1d6 cyphers to someone trained in scavenging them.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
They would probably cry that its perpetuating rape culture.

There's no satisfying these people.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Exclusive Numenera Boxed Set Edition

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1433901524/exclusive-numenera-boxed-set-edition

19488f8b1a1c6b18151d8d04e15f3e76_large.jpg

Monte Cook Games started a new Kickstater for limited box sets. You can select JUST THE BOX tier if you already have the books and just want the box.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, did he actually do anything with the series as of late, anything new that expands on the simplistic rule set or has he just simply said 'fuck you' to his backers with regards to expanding further on things?

Alchemist

Arcane
I don't really follow Numenera closely but I keep seeing that they are putting new books out. I don't know if they have tweaked the ruleset. Also they have released The Strange which uses the same rule system but a different setting concept created by Bruce Cordell.

Alchemist

Arcane
I don't know - don't you know how Google this stuff yourself? They have a company webpage too. Just look it up if you're interested in it.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It's not terrible, if you're a new guy to TT, and don't get me wrong, the math intensive spreadsheet side of pathfinder can be a fucking killer, but at the same time, it's way too simplistic for me, and the setting is good too, so I just get a little aggravated at that.

Alchemist

Arcane
Even if you never play Numenera you can mine the setting material for weird science-fantasy ideas in other campaigns / systems. I have the core book and the Technology Compendium, and still thinking about getting the Bestiary. I'll probably use some of the tech and creature ideas in my own science-fantasy campaign using an OSR D&D-type system.

It would be awesome if they ported the whole thing to OGL or Pathfinder but I doubt that will happen.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Well, Iron Gods is in Pathfinder, and that's pretty good right now.
But yeah, I love the fucking setting. In some ways it reminds me of Samurai Jack, just so damn good.
And some of the rule stuff is actually pretty good, such as those backgrounds I'm a XXXX Glaive who XXXX, tho I think it doesn't do enough to set your character apart in some ways.
Those are all great. I just think the rules are simplistic, and it pisses me off like crazy.

It's not terrible, if you're a new guy to TT, and don't get me wrong, the math intensive spreadsheet side of pathfinder can be a fucking killer, but at the same time, it's way too simplistic for me, and the setting is good too, so I just get a little aggravated at that.
Oh my god commas!, but I agree.

Even if you never play Numenera you can mine the setting material for weird science-fantasy ideas in other campaigns / systems. I have the core book and the Technology Compendium, and still thinking about getting the Bestiary. I'll probably use some of the tech and creature ideas in my own science-fantasy campaign using an OSR D&D-type system.

It would be awesome if they ported the whole thing to OGL or Pathfinder but I doubt that will happen.
The bestiary is pretty worth it imo. Good art, and the majority of the monsters are pretty creative and easy enough to port over to different rulesets.. I've used quite a few of them in a PF campaign I've been running the past half-year.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I think the biggest issue I have is the lack of variation between weapons, attacks, etc. Plus, Glaives have a hard time thinking of stuff to do out of combat, while Jacks and Nanos get tons of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom