Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion turns 10 years old

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
man oblivions such a great retro rpg game

member the battle for kvatch??

Red Rogue

Learned
man oblivions such a great retro rpg game

member the battle for kvatch??

OOOOHHHH I 'MEMBER THE BATTLE OF KVATCH

IOkVHVu.jpg

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
member when mehrunes dagon was all like your world is mine, and that illegitimate son of emperor was all like YOU SHALL NOT PASS

he turns into a giant flaming fagg dragon and blows the devil up

man that was such an amazing ending

DraQ

Arcane
Regarding size:
4Worlds.jpg

The thing is the area doesn't really matter. You don't experience area in game. You experience number of things, like locations or NPCs or factions or quests, etc., you also experience distances traveled. On all those counts both Morrowind and Daggerfall CRUSH Oblivion.
If we only count distinct locations, then Skyrim also crushes Oblivion, because Skyrim's world is structured and the locations themselves have at least one thing per location that makes it stand out in some way, while in Oblivion they are composed of large chunks merrily copypasted around, identical down to the tiniest bits of clutter (not unlike Daggerfall, but Daggerfall had thousands of them). Like Morrowind it also crushes Oblivion in regards to distances travelled because there are mountains in the way and available paths are squiggly and roundabout.

You also experience the world structure itself - you can esaily see in the pic above that Oblivion has much less detail to its map. If you, oblivious to scale, tried to fit the Oblivion map to the Morrowind map in a way that would make the detail level uniform, you'd end up with it taking up maybe eighth of the area. The amount and differences between geographical areas in Oblivion also compare unfavorably to about every other TES.

TL;DR:
Oblivion is the shitstained asshole of the entire series.

uge cities to explore, people who go about their daily business and talk to each other on the street, you could enter any house and see whats in there, vast landscapes to traverse. That level of simulation was completely new to me, it was like entering the world of a fantasy novel and being able to experience it freely.

That's all becoming a standard now, so it's even easier to complain about oblivion being bad, beceause people forget how many things it did good and for the first time. At moment of release it wasn't really that bad.
And what would be those things Oblivion did good?

It had complete AI schedules but this feature mostly hung in vacuum - you couldn't use it to steal from sleeping NPCs (other than keys and quest items perhaps) because there was nothing to steal, and there were few quests that benefited from this or accounted for it in any way.
Other than that? Ok, you could poison weapons, the mindfuckery branch of illusion was somewhat improved and the AI was marginally less bad than in Morrowind - two minor features and a no-brainer given higher tech level. Every single thing about it other than the above sucked. Both as a standalone game and as part of the series where it also took a massive steaming dump on things like the setting, established lore and petty much everything else.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Despite all its obvious flaws, the radiant AI added to the simulationist aspect of the gameworld. People walking around the streets, talking to each other, working in the fields, lying down in bed at night and so on, make the game feel more realistic than Morrowinds static NPCs that just stood around in place everywhere like cardboard characters. I'm sure some will still find that more immersive than overhearing retarded mudcrab conversations for the upteenth time but particularly cities in Morrowind feel more static, dead and artifical compared to more lively ones in Oblivion.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the staticness was what killed my interest in Morrowind.
And consequently I didn't hate Oblivion. That I never played vanilla level scaled Oblivion also helped.

Red Rogue

Learned
Yeah, the staticness was what killed my interest in Morrowind.
And consequently I didn't hate Oblivion. That I never played vanilla level scaled Oblivion also helped.

Oh boy, I played Vanilla level scaled Oblivion on the fucking 360. What a shitshow.
I have a distinct memory of encountering a Timber Wolf at level 30, and this stupid peon wolf who would've died in 3 swings at level 1 proceeded to ass plaster me.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I think Total Biscuit said it well at one point. "Oblivion is like a vast ocean, with the depth of a puddle."

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Despite all its obvious flaws, the radiant AI added to the simulationist aspect of the gameworld. People walking around the streets, talking to each other, working in the fields, lying down in bed at night and so on, make the game feel more realistic than Morrowinds static NPCs that just stood around in place everywhere like cardboard characters. I'm sure some will still find that more immersive than overhearing retarded mudcrab conversations for the upteenth time but particularly cities in Morrowind feel more static, dead and artifical compared to more lively ones in Oblivion.
Too late as after Gothic anything made by Bethesda looked just pathetic, and Gothic's AI and scripts weren't really that intricate.

anus_pounder

Arcane
In hindsight, Oblivion is something of an underrated classic, but I wouldn't recommend it. Skyrim and Fallout 4 do what Oblivion wanted to in much better ways and in more detail. One of the few incidents, imo, where sequels are upgrades all across the board with no steps back.

Red Rogue

Learned
In hindsight, Oblivion is something of an underrated classic, but I wouldn't recommend it. Skyrim and Fallout 4 do what Oblivion wanted to in much better ways and in more detail. One of the few incidents, imo, where sequels are upgrades all across the board with no steps back.

Skyrim did a lot of things better, but I wouldn't say upgrades across the board. At the very least, Oblivion still made an attempt at being an RPG. I experimented with a few different "builds" and it made for a certain degree of variance in the gameplay.

In Skyrim, nothing in the character creation matters. Race is practically just for cosmetics, sign can be changed at any point in the game, leveling up is just boosting one stat. You'll get the same gameplay with one character that you would with any other, the job of "playing a role" is accomplished through self imposed player restrictions/guidelines, Skyrim doesn't really provide for it in ANY manner.

Which really begs the question: What will BGS do streamline TESVI even further? We can almost be certain that they will do anything they can to make the game less confusing for new players, as that pattern has been observed since Morrowind. Maybe it'll be like Fallout 4 and leave it all up to perks.

And on a minor note: Oblivion had the better Menus and UI between the two games. Very appropriate for the setting, felt like I was always reading from a lore book that I would've found in game. So comfy.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Oblivion is neither underrated nor a classic. Its an overrated console action RPG. There is fun to be had, but lets not kid ourselves that it is something special. Its a downgrade from Morrowind in most respects, with a few good ideas here and there, but most badly executed. I still spent 50 hours on it so its not a terrible game or anything, fun to romp around and explore for a while.

Plus there were quite a few steps back in Skyrim when it came to RPG systems, plus some people prefer the generic fairytale fantasy landscape of Oblivion as well. I do agree with you that I would recommend Skyrim over Oblivion to anyone who asks though.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Oblivion is neither underrated nor a classic. Its an overrated console action RPG. There is fun to be had, but lets not kid ourselves that it is something special. Its a downgrade from Morrowind in most respects, with a few good ideas here and there, but most badly executed. I still spent 50 hours on it so its not a terrible game or anything, fun to romp around and explore for a while.

Plus there were quite a few steps back in Skyrim when it came to RPG systems, plus some people prefer the generic fairytale fantasy landscape of Oblivion as well. I do agree with you that I would recommend Skyrim over Oblivion to anyone who asks though.

Skyrim > Oblivion but Morrowind is Daggerfall dumbed down

Frozen

Arcane
you are no good at math

Skyrim=Oblivion=Morrowind=Daggerfall=Arena=Fallout 3=Fallout 4= shit

Deleted Member 16721

Someone mentioned Radiant AI, but from my understanding we have never seen Radiant AI in a TES game yet. At least, not what they had originally intended. Most of the system was scrapped before Oblivion releaseed and there doesn't seem to be much of that going on in Skyrim, either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom