Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian AMA on Reddit today (9 Nov)

eXalted

Arcane
It seems that Obsidian will be making AskMeAnithing on Reddit.

Today (9th November) at 4 PM

AMAs are scheduled in Eastern Time (GMT-4:00).

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/

The Codex could show some love there.

:codexisfor:

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Bad timing. They are going to get slammed with MCA (rather than Tyranny) related questions.

tripedal

Augur
We are about 215 people right now, and we are working on five things - Armored Warfare, Tyranny, and Pathfinder Adventures. The other two include one that is pretty easy to guess, while the other is really cool, but nothing we have talked about yet.

Any ideas on the "really cool" one?

Deleted member 7219

We are about 215 people right now, and we are working on five things - Armored Warfare, Tyranny, and Pathfinder Adventures. The other two include one that is pretty easy to guess, while the other is really cool, but nothing we have talked about yet.

Any ideas on the "really cool" one?

Easy to guess: Pillars 2

Really cool: Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky

tripedal

Augur
This was an interesting exchange

brian_obsidian said:
We've definitely tried to design our encounters such that different tactics are required for different situations. This plays out in different ways. For example, some combats are laid out such that you can't rely on having your damage mitigaters on a 'front line' - enemies can flank you and attack the rear. Some enemies will disengage from your tanks (taking a disengagement hit) to go after squishier characters. Some enemies will use types of damage that your main tank is weak against, but some of your other characters might have better resistance to, so in some cases it's actually better to use them instead.

Ultimately it will depend on how you specialize your Companions and your character. Damage mitigation will always be an effective strategy, you'll just need to be flexible in the types of damage you are mitigating and be able to react to enemies utilizing their own tactics against you.

dat_alt_account said:
Right, but couldn't you have used the exact same words you just used to describe PoE, the game that was being critiqued?

What you said sounds great in paper, but it missed a special magic that existed with Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, KOTOR, and the like.

As someone who 1) is a developer 2) has played through the Infinity Engine games more times than I can count, I'd like to offer my own perspective.

I think the combat felt "same-ish" because of a questionable choice in development - the idea (which was very highly touted) that players should be able to create all sorts of builds and they should all be effective, in order to overcome the cliches like "strong but dumb barbarian". The problem with making every build viable is that in order to do so, everything has to "work" if you invest enough skillpoints into it. And because you've already gone in a particular version with your character build, and because it's guaranteed to "work", you're placed in a position where those abilities will always be optimal. The lack of hard immunities is emblematic of this philosophy. I can't tell you how many enemies I was able to knock over through the course of PoE.... including flying spectral beings. Virtually everything was vulnerable to the same types of damage as well (or at least they'd suffer glancing blows) so almost never was I forced to choice between weapons or spells... I just went with the best I had at the time, every time.

Contrast that with Baldur's Gate, where the type of weapon or spells that can damage creatures like clay golems, gnolls, skeletons, mustard jelly's, rakshasa, vampires, etc. all varies widely. The high difficulty/danger paired with greatly varying immunities (and damage outputs from the creatures themselves) is what leads to tactical depth. In PoE I never had to consider what enemy I was fighting, because I knew my shit would just work, and the damage output of the enemies wasn't appreciably different (with a few minor exceptions).

Lastly, the neutering of save-or-die spells was unsatisfying and made combat less exciting by reducing the variance (which is what makes games exciting... nobody would tune in to the Superbowl if the best team won every single time).

But really, the lack of equally powerful/viable but different tactics made combat boring. To use Baldur's Gate as an example once again, you could approach a combat situation with entirely different but equally "broken" ways, which made multiple playthroughs so appealing. To again use a specific example, take the classic case of the mage Tarnesh at the Friendly Arm in, one of the first frustrating fights in the game. If you just play it straight, which you can, you're probably going to have to reload a few times to win, which you eventually will through sheer chance. On the other hand, if you have a wizard, you can cast shield and remove fear to complete negate the wizard's spells. Or, you could position a thief directly behind him to backstab him when he goes hostile. Or, you could use a Priest of Helm to use his True Sight and get rid of the mirror images, leaving him defenseless. All of these make the combat trivially easy, but because they're not obvious to the first-time player, they're great solutions that provide an "aha!" moment when executed. That experience is called... "fun".

In summary: little variance in creature vulnerabilities combined with little variance in creature damage/abilities leads to same-ish combat. Toning down save-or-die spells also hurt. Finally, there weren't many viable but completely distinct approaches to combat, which was a problem.

I loved PoE, but the combat could have been improved.

Sentinel

Arcane
Pretty useless AMA. As usual, nothing interesting gets answered, just a bunch of people sucking off obsidian and the same old "what was the most challenging part about tyranny" shit I've read in at least 5 different interviews since Tyranny was announced.
Only thing worthy of note was Feargus damage-controlling Avellone and Eric's departure from the company.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Developer" uh huh

More like cargo cult priest.

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Assuming he's still in then, nobody "just doesn't update" their LinkedIn page.

Fairfax

Arcane
215 people? No wonder Feargus is warming up to the idea of being purchased. Shit will hit the fan all over again one AW development is over.

Haven't (and won't) read the whole thing, but I checked Feargus and Tim Cain's replies.
Feargus mentions what could be the "episodic Skyrim" pitch here:
We still have a great relationship with Wizards of the Coast, and I'm hoping we can figure something out there at some point. We had pitched a episodic isometric RPG at one point. I know, what the hell is that? Has Feargus gone nuts, or just wants to make The Walking Harpers? So, the idea was that it was not stories that were told in serial, but more that every episode expanded the world and then overlayed new quests and stories on top of the parts of the world you already had.

I still think it's kind of an interesting idea.
So it's not even episodic per se, just an isometric RPG sold in pieces. Sounds like a terrible idea.

Didn't expect this one:
  1. What's different about making games now vs. making games in the 90s? Do you miss anything about those heady days?

2. Who's your favorite character in any of your games?

3. Are there any in-jokes that the world still hasn't gotten?
Hmmm.... Let's see:

1) The teams are a lot bigger, and where artists were sometimes the smallest department on games - they are generally now the largest. That's changed a lot about how we spend our time, and figuring out how to best to spend each of our development bucks. I often say we get 100 poker chips to make a game, and need to figure out how best to spend them. So that might have sounded negative, but there are also some pretty cool things. Characters in games today just feel so much more alive, and that is not just because of the art. I think we have all gotten better at how to create, write, and voice believable, memorable characters.

2) I really liked Dakkon in Planescape: Torment, I thought the conversations you had with them were pretty amazing.

3) If you've seen the quote list in Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, then you'll know there are no more jokes. :)

About a Pathfinder CRPG:

When we first started talking with Paizo about Pathfinder, the idea was that our first game would be a CRPG. As things happen, which they seem to often to in the game industry, it started to make more sense for us to do the card game first. We then got very busy on other projects, so we didn't move the CRPG game forward at all.

As things come to a close on other projects we are developing, we are looking at what comes next. I can't say that is going to be Pathfinder, but it is one of the things we are talking about.

Says he'd like to visit Undermountain and Waterdeep in a hypothetical BG spiritual sequel.
A bit about the World of Darkness pitch.

Tim Cain didn't say much.

There's this:
Question for Tim Cain. You were (if I remember) the first person to work on GURPS Fallout, and one of the few to design key elements of Fallout's story. I recently asked Jesse Heinig about his different vision for the L.A. Boneyard on twitter, and he shed some light on how different that could have been. Granted this game is almost 20 years old, but are there any areas or plot elements in that story that you had a different vision for (that you can remember)?

Well, I will always admit that I thought the ending of the game should be more upbeat, but I loved Leon's ending so much that we went with his.

I really wanted a monastery area where the monks strove to preserve the past (something like A Canticle For Leibowitz). But we had already made the Brotherhood of Steel, so it seemed too similar. I tried to add it again in Fallout 2, but it didn't stick there either.

And he posted this picture:

xluUMflf7mrYWQXBo9F93QsC7yK9yRybYvbeGEgFkhA

Wait what. When did Fenstermaker jump ship?
Last month. Explained here.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
This was an interesting exchange

brian_obsidian said:
What you said sounds great in paper, but it missed a special magic that existed with Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, KOTOR, and the like.

That magic being nostalgia. He is right though there needs to be enemies immune to certain types of damage, blights and trolls are only ones that are immune to a certain type of damage, right?

Rev

Arcane
215 people? No wonder Feargus is warming up to the idea of being purchased. Shit will hit the fan all over again one AW development is over.
Well, if AW is successful enought it will need some post-release care for some time, so part of the team would still have work to do.
Also, they have four other projects going on right now. If they can keep up doing so many games they should be fine and be able to transition people from project to project without having to face another major lay-off.

By the way, it's quite obvious that Feargus doesn't want Obsidian to be a mid-sized developer forever, he may be fine with having a Team B working on small budget games as side projects but he wants to make AAA titles as well, and he'll need large numbers to work on them.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hey, a bunch of people love That Gun from Fallout, otherwise there wouldn't have been so many requests for its inclusion in New Vegas.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hey, a bunch of people love That Gun from Fallout, otherwise there wouldn't have been so many requests for its inclusion in New Vegas.
Yep, that... and the Turbo Plasma Rifle were actually my favourite weapons.... So thanks Feargus... I guess.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yep, that... and the Turbo Plasma Rifle were actually my favourite weapons.... So thanks Feargus... I guess.

TBH the turbo plasma rifle was op and undeniably the Best Weapon. They fixed it with Fallout 2 though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom