Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian DLC Survey - Results are in

Dexter

Arcane
Poll is missing a "Free comment Option" where I can say something along the lines of "STOP CALLING IT DLC YOU MENTAL MIDGETS, A LOT OF PEOPLE THINK OF DLC AS PURE CANCER SINCE THE CONCEPT HAS BEEN ABUSED TO FLEECE PEOPLE TO HELL AND BACK, START CALLING IT EXPANSION/ADD-ON IF IT'S A WORTHWHILE CONTENT ADDITION WITH EXPANSIVE CONTENT OR GTFO!" and something indicating that there's no point in buying an Expansion for a 100+ hour long game before even having finished it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually, a lot of people on the Larian survey said they want co-op, one of the column where "multiplayer" was shown as "not important at all" was for PvP, not co-op.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yep, here's the survey: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9gunuuzETdsV3V2akxOY1hjR1U/view

DHTOMfIUwAAr-TW.jpg:large

The second "Co-op" is actually PvP. In both cases you can see that there's a large group of people who DGAF about multiplayer, but for regular co-op there's a probably a majority of people for it.

Dexter

Arcane
Didn't Larian's own survey show that just about nobody gives a single fuck about coop/pvp? Will there really be pressure to shoehorn in something that nobody cares about?

I mean, I guess there could be given the success of DOS2, but I just find it so amusing after Larian's own survey showed multiplayer is one of the elements people care the least about, and yet it's like they are forcibly shoving it down people's throats or something.

Diablo III has now sold-through over 30 million units life-to-date globally.

Divinity: Original Sin: http://steamspy.com/app/230230
Owners: 1,410,933
Divinity: Original Sin 2: http://steamspy.com/app/435150
Owners: 664,803

Torchlight (No Co-Op): http://steamspy.com/app/41500
Owners: 1,471,208
Torchlight II (Co-Op/Multiplayer): http://steamspy.com/app/200710
Owners: 3,650,653

I think what they should take from that Survey is that doing a Survey that only specific parts of their audience will ever see and even less are likely to fill out is likely not to produce very representative results.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
We don't know if Torchlight 2 sold more because of co-op/multiplayer, that's an unproved correlation.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
As far as I know - Obsidian started working with a new publisher VersusEvil - the guys that published the Banner Saga 2 and I think will publish the 3rd one. The previous publisher, Paradox, did screw up with their pricing in non-$ regions, which caused the Obsidian to go with a new one. This is probably the first step of them figuring out their DLC policies.

Last edited:

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Tbh I really doubt Obsidian would change publishers over a minor PR fuck up. Much more likely VersusEvil offered a lower % cut of sales for the same services.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
The rating of genres is are poor polling choice for accuracy. I only play rpgs are games with heavy rpg elements and some strategy games with heavy rpg elements. It should have listed NA as a rating. In my head the only difference between a shooter and the battle royal games is one is just plain pvp shit and the other is just plain shit with content. Both are equally not worth playing for people of gaming taste and refinement.

They should have a poll asking who should design every par tof every game at Obsidian so I can answer Tim Cain to everything.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Tbh I really doubt Obsidian would change publishers over a minor PR fuck up. Much more likely VersusEvil offered a lower % cut of sales for the same services.

Regional pricing and the growth of gaming outside of civilization isn't minor. I'm not sure what percentage of sales of POE where in Mass and RI but the vast majority of sales where in the savage outlands. When you factor in the stable sales of third world countries like Canada and EU states you have a reliable and constant base. To increase sales you need growth, and with this type of product growth comes from the smaller or usually ignored markets with a price that will maximize sales instead of piracy of a product with no online focus/content. A couple dollars price difference means the difference in strong sales or strong pirating. Steam takes most, if not all, of the initiative of fighting the reselling of items from discount markets to less third worldish markets. The publisher just needs to price it right on release. If you can't get that right what use are they?

I also have no idea if they fucked up regional pricing beyond reading the last couple posts above mine so...

Latelistener

Arcane

Which of the following Obsidian DLCs have you purchased, either on their own, or as part of a Season Pass/Deluxe/Game of the Year Edition?

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir

It's ridiculous, since NWN2 is still not on Steam even after 4 years.

ortucis

Prophet
I avoid RPG's with MP tacked on and DLC's can go fuck themselves.

Make expansions, standalone, if you want to continue your game's story.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The dumb thing is that they classify TWM-type expansions as "a kind of DLC".

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, Obsidian's Eric Neigher (Director of Marketing and Brand Strategy) posted the link on Fallout subreddit as well as PoE and Tyranny subreddits: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/741qcm/obsidian_entertainment_is_running_a_survey_about/

Some of his comments about the survey:

Yes! We will absolutely publish at least some of these results. For privacy or business reasons, we may hold back some results, but we haven't decided that yet. However, there will certainly be a presentation of some of this stuff for everyone to chew on once the survey is over (on Oct. 20).

Totally understand. One of the reasons we're doing this survey (and will share at least some of the results) is that we want that transparency -- and we want it to work both ways. Tell us your honest opinion, and we will tell you how we took it into account and why we made the decisions we made. Treating customers like a piggybank is anathema to Obsidian's key mission statement.

This is great feedback.

From a marketer's perspective, the only good model is the one that makes our consumers the happiest with our product. That is the long-term play. Of course, we need to monetize each product to the degree that we can, but the industry -- and I am speaking as an individual here, not a representative of Obsidian -- has lost sight of the concept of lifetime value a little bit. The focus is too much on marketing the from the product, not enough on marketing to the consumer. It's all well and good to monetize your game to $200/$300 per user because of your DLC and IAPs, but in the long run, that $300 consumer is going to disengage from your product brand, your corporate brand, and your future marketing, because he or she is made to feel like a piggybank.

Sure, there is a balance, and a lot of factors and stakeholders ought to be taken into consideration, but listening to consumers and trying to give them what they want should be step one, in my opinion, not step "Oh sh** we messed up, let's now go talk to our consumers and hope we can fix this."

Dude, I have seriously pitched a Soulsborne style game in our greenlight meetings like every month. How can we get the owners to listen to us!?

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Email from Paradox:

At Paradox Interactive we really love making games, and we really hope you enjoy playing them! In order to improve and bring you better gaming experiences, our friends over at Obsidian Entertainment has created a survey to better understand how you feel about downloadable content (DLC).

Your opinion is important and will have a significant effect on how we approach DLC for our games, and help shape the future of Role-playing Games.

http://view.email.paradoxplaza.com/...51c15d27585848a28afe2446eb9bf3f834a1ec31a8362

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have never bought a season pass and I never intend to do so in the future. The only style of DLC are large scale epxansions that either continue the campaign a la BGII, or do it like NWN2. No Fallout: NV style DLC, please.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, Obsidian's Eric Neigher (Director of Marketing and Brand Strategy) posted the link on Fallout subreddit as well as PoE and Tyranny subreddits: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/741qcm/obsidian_entertainment_is_running_a_survey_about/

Some of his comments about the survey:

If you read through these I play you'll see this. Obsidian, I love you. But the reason I don't buy your games is I. HATE. FANTASY. You don't need to to make another Fallout to get me to buy. You just need to make an RPG set in the real world or sci-fi. It can have magic in it, just as long as the world mostly functions by science and technology. The more you set in the real world (and Fallout's alternate history with ghosts as canon counts) the more I will love you to death.

Less magic, more realism. That's what I want in an RPG.

We will take this into account! We will be doing another survey toward the end of the year asking players about their preferences on things like this. Look out for it!

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I have never bought a season pass and I never intend to do so in the future. The only style of DLC are large scale epxansions that either continue the campaign a la BGII, or do it like NWN2. No Fallout: NV style DLC, please.

I also never have and never will buy a season pass. Honestly, as dumb as this may sound, its because of the name. What season? Football has a season start and end. Specific dates. There is no ambiguity. Well, real football, I don't know how soccer seasons work since I like women.

I buy what I think sounds good and is fairly priced. I purposefully never buy any steam game when there are pages of DLC listed that don't do anything like for most big name oriental rpgs on steam. For console games like FONV I wait for the GOTY edition to be on sale for 5 or 10 bucks and I really hope game companies keep gouging the fuck out of console players because fuck them. Stupid people like stupid shit, and if anyone needs more proof of how stupid console people are just look at the type of paid content made for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom