Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian DLC Survey - Results are in

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
How is it possible that Italy is shown as grey (meaning no one from the country voted in the survey)? I, for one, know I did vote in it, as well as at least some other people I know.

Aside from that, mostly good results: I especially liked the platform charts dominated by PC. And contrary to the Obsidian PR guy, I was not that surprised to find out that 92% of the survey partecipants were males, after all it's RPGs we're talking about. :obviously:
Yeah the same shit is with my country. Maybe there is some bug that make us all mericans.
Your country doesn't show how many people voted in the survey but it's colored as light blue, just like Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Austria, Czech Republic, Turkey and other nations, which means at least some people from your country voted in the survey.
Italy, on the other hand, is grey like Congo, Sudan and Niger, and apparently even behind countries like Lybia, Chad, Somalia, Iran and Iraq. I mean, come on, I didn't expect my country to be in the top 10 since RPGs are not that strong here, but that is ridiculous. :lol:
Witch is interesting,because it is in top 5 on the codex. I was surprised how many Italians are visiting the codex.

fobia

Survey was English only, right?
It's not so surprising that only a fraction of european gamers took it then.
And I'm not surprised Bulgarians answered the survey to a greater degree than Italians.
People from eastern Europe and the Balkans are often "forced" to play in English, because no translation is made.
Central and southern europeans often play translated games and therefore tend to use english less frequently in such circumstances.

Edit. This is also true outside of gaming in some regards.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And I'm not surprised Bulgarians answered the survey to a greater degree than Italians.
People from eastern Europe and the Balkans are often "forced" to play in English, because no translation is made.
Central and southern europeans often play translated games and therefore tend to use english less frequently in such circumstances.
Yeah,also i haven't met a person that knows English from school,everyone i know have learned it from a hobbies and experience. It is waste of time to study such a simple language.

Quillon

Arcane
All in all, lots of great takeaways here, and we'll be using the data internally to ask some even more in depth questions. For example: do people who ownPillars of Eternity DLC also own Tyranny DLC? Do Europeans have different DLC preferences from North Americans? Why do RPG fans hate sports games?

Yes, if they find an answer to that last question it will be a big help in...

Rev

Arcane

I don't think East-Europeans generally know English better than Italians on average (although it's true that Italians aren't as good in English as, say, Scandinavian people), but that's beside the point. I find it very hard to believe that even countries such as Lybia, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Somalia have more partecipants in the survey than Italy.
Then again, it's not really such an important issue, it just seems a bit strange to me. But other than that, I never expected good results from my country because most people here play on consoles (especially PlayStation) and buy AAA action and sports games, and RPGs are not as strong in Italy as they are in other, smaller/less populated countries like Poland.

Edit: we're OT by the way, so let's get back to the main argument. Most of the datas are good, but I still think they should've at the very least added another question asking players if they preferred mid-game content like New Vegas and PoE DLCs or post-game/other campaigns like MotB. As much as I like TWM, I think it's tedious to have to reload an old save just to play the new parts or maybe be forced to replay for some hours before I'm able to get the new content, and I don't think I'm alone in this.
It would've been interesting and useful to see how this is perceived by other players as well.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I don't think East-Europeans generally know English better than Italians on average (although it's true that Italians aren't as good in English as, say, Scandinavian people), but that's beside the point. I find it very hard to believe that even countries such as Lybia, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Somalia have more partecipants in the survey than Italy.
Then again, it's not really such an important issue, it just seems a bit strange to me. But other than that, I never expected good results from my country because most people here play on consoles (especially PlayStation) and buy AAA action and sports games, and RPGs are not as strong in Italy as they are in other, smaller/less populated countries like Poland.

Edit: we're OT by the way, so let's get back to the main argument. Most of the datas are good, but I still think they should've at the very least added another question asking players if they preferred mid-game content like New Vegas and PoE DLCs or post-game/other campaigns like MotB. As much as I like TWM, I think it's tedious to have to reload an old save just to play the new parts or maybe be forced to replay for some hours before I'm able to get the new content, and I don't think I'm alone in this.
It would've been interesting and useful to see how this is perceived by other players as well.
You had to replay and level up to play the dlc content in fallout new vegas.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
This silly poll is one of the reasons why Obsidian is dead to me. These jews are asking stupid goyims how much are they willing to pay for something that should be included in the game. Either you make an expansion or you release a DLC for free, anything else is treating customers like suckers. To me any game with DLCs is not worth buying unless it already has all DLCs included. Developers trying to con others should be burned to the ground.

With that out of the system, the results are pure decline. Despite the PC dominance there are still way too many consoletards and way too many people wanting multiplayer. I don't know any timeless RPG that would have good multiplayer (there's Arcanum but it's MP isn't good, there's also Vampire The Masquarade: Redemption but it's not exquisite/timeless game). Instead of MP, resources should be spent elsewhere, e.g. more interesting and sophisticated quests which could be solved in various ways, more interesting builds that would actually change the whole game (like in Arcanum or Age of Decadence where playing as a thief/mage/technologist/merchant/loremaster/mercenary differed very much), C&C so that our choices would actually matter and wouldn't be just red-herrings, etc.
Nowadays it's very rare to have the option to be evil for example or to have alternative ways to complete a task because it's too expensive and potential profits are negligible since 90% of gamers will whack with a hammer left and right anyway and won't even think to try a different approach. I think someone at Obsidian said that adding the option to be evil is just unprofitable since majority of players play a game usually once and then go to the next one, not knowing how great Age of Decadence or Arcanum are and how many secrets there are even after 10th replay (I'm paraphrasing here).

As for this picture:
Ub6cxhq.jpg

it amazes me how many people voted on "post ending reactivity". I don't know a game where it would actually matter and be done good, in fact I only know about Fallout 2 where playing after defeating the Enclave was pointless and it literally took me 5 minutes to get bored after this. The game is either good or not and the ending won't change my view that much. Troika games, Fallout 2 and to a degree Age of Decadence had weaker last locations but because the rest was so good it didn't matter. Instead of wasting resources on adding a couple of new dialogue lines and zero new gameplay they could just add slides and be done with it.

"Expanded game system" being so high is also crap, because crafting nowadays is tedious and it all comes to hoarding garbage just to create a weapon with slightly better stats or a potion with slightly better properties. Crafting like in Age of Decadence/Dungeon Rats is OK but anything more is pointless and a waste of time.
As for the level cap, it is there for a reason, what's the point of being able to wipe the floor with everybody if we would level up thanks to grinding? You might as well cheat then, at least you won't waste as much time. Gameplay should be balanced (within reason), e.g. like in Gothic or Fallout where you can go anywhere from the start but it might not end well for you (but if you're smart you can defeat even much more powerful opponents or at least get some better gear making the early part easier).

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Wrong, bitch! There are two biological genders, check your genitals if ur confused and answer accordingly! Do not attempt to lie.

What I initially wanted to say is, I was a bit surprised by the question that included the possibility for answers connected with cooperative and competitive multiplayer. Does no one remember how boring it is to play IE games in multiplayer, with the constant pausing so that someone can cast his magic or make a decision? It will be even worse in PoE, with the heavy management of characters that it needs.

Maybe you should benefit fro mreading about sex and gender distinction and im not even left-wing.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Larian's survey this is not, but if anything results are mostly predictable. Would be nice if they did a regional vote breakdown for some countries. It would be nice to know how much, for example, the Balkans region participated.

Elex

Arbiter

that explain it for italian they probally still waiting for a localized version of the survei “possibile che nel 2017 non sapete tradurre un sondaggio in italiano?????”

skycycle

Educated
I can confirm at least one other Bulgarian at the Codex voted ;) Would be nice to see the full breakdown of countries though.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
This silly poll is one of the reasons why Obsidian is dead to me. These jews are asking stupid goyims how much are they willing to pay for something that should be included in the game. Either you make an expansion or you release a DLC for free, anything else is treating customers like suckers. To me any game with DLCs is not worth buying unless it already has all DLCs included. Developers trying to con others should be burned to the ground.

Nothing "should already be included" in a game. DLCs are not about the game being "incomplete", unless it is a feature DLC (and even then, only when it comes to shit like Fallout 4's Survival mode which was already present in New Vegas). You cannot add as much shit as you want into a game just because you like it, there are many things to consider and there's also a time limit to abide by (and this will never change, and it is a very valid reason to release DLC and expansions).

If you don't like DLC and expansions, don't buy them. If you buy them, you acknowledge developers did the right thing because you are saying "yes, this content is worth my money". Gamers are entitled bitches who think they should get a shitload of content for the same $60.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Wrong, bitch! There are two biological genders, check your genitals if ur confused and answer accordingly! Do not attempt to lie.

What I initially wanted to say is, I was a bit surprised by the question that included the possibility for answers connected with cooperative and competitive multiplayer. Does no one remember how boring it is to play IE games in multiplayer, with the constant pausing so that someone can cast his magic or make a decision? It will be even worse in PoE, with the heavy management of characters that it needs.

Maybe you should benefit fro mreading about sex and gender distinction and im not even left-wing.

I just did. And what I read:

Gender (noun):
1. the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones)

So, as I was saying, there are two genders.

Here is one more triggering description, equally true: gender is the summary of anatomical properties and physiological functions.

I think that amongst all the people I've met in my whole life in Italy, only two or three had an English better than mine and they were my English teachers. I've just read a new where people are complaining that for a public competition you are asked to have at least the FCE to be considered eligible for the competition itself; people are complaining that you foreign should learn Italian instead of making Italians try to speak English. A strange display of nationalism in a nation that is The Left in Europe.

There is a good factor though related to the Italians not being able to learn English. A flock complained that the lack of translation for tides of numenera made them unable to play it.

Rev

Arcane
Btw, just to clarify but the Obsidian guy that published the survey results answered me and said that there were 530 Italians who partecipate in the survey.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That is total bullshit, some swedish faggot just splashed some random numbers on the map and called it a day.

You don't have to be upset, 56.79% is very impressing for a second world country.
Nah i am ok with around 50% in my country. The problem is with the idiotic numbers in the rest of Europa. I have travelled in some of those countries. Germany or France for example don't have more than 20% of people talking English. Most people don't know English and those who know it really speak in it. If you don't believe me,then travel more mate. It seems that they just asked young people in the capital cities.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom