Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Sannom

Augur
What would the alternative meaning be?

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Just wait and see how "popamole console arpg" will be better than any of the so called old skool rpg's they have released during the Kickstarter era.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I guess it's obvious what's happened here.. Obsidian will make a best-seller game by appealing to the casual Action RPG audience. The increased cash revenue will be used to create even better and more casual Action RPGs, before the income is so huge our dear overlords will buy Fallout from Bethesda.

Well, come on! Use your imaginations!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Random Feargus stories

Ib7VxbJ.png

Latelistener

Arcane
They made enough money from 2D PC RPGs to make a prototype of their console UE4 project, and it will be Alpha Protocol all over again. Assuming the company survives, they will come to Kickstarter, asking the Master Race to help them out again.

Because surely no one is interested in a 3D AAA RPG on PC. No siree!

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like that's part of a larger interview yet to be published.

Huh. And all this time I thought when they talked about there being two Fallout 3s, it was the two Avellone and Sawyer iterations of Van Buren. Or maybe that's just two descriptions for the same thing?

Fairfax

Arcane
Or maybe that's just two descriptions for the same thing?
Different things, but the "first Fallout 3" never made it out of pre-production because of the engine thing, I believe. One of the old BIS stories is that Feargus is responsible for FO3 having multiple false starts, so that must've been one of them.

Feargus' opinions on Fallout changed a lot over the years. He said this in 2001:

As for Fallout 3. You guys don't need to worry, it's going to be cool. It's not going to be the same game that the original Fallout's were, but I think that is a good thing. We've learned a lot about making games in the past few years, and we are going to apply that to the Fallout series. Is it going to be a little more faster paced in combat - of course, it has to be because we can't make a solely turn based game anymore. But, we talk all the time about how to keep it from becoming a Diablo type game as well. That is not to say that we've started making Fallout 3, it's just something that we talk about a lot.

[...]

I guess lastly, my hope is that we create a true Fallout game. The Lead Designer, most likely, will be Chris Avellone, who was the Lead Designer on Torment and the twisted mind behind New Reno in Fallout 2. If there is anyone outside of Chris Taylor who understand the Fallout universe it is him. He certainly isn't going to let us make an unFallout game. I was just reading a fifty page document today about the Fallout world timeline, and his thoughts on keeping the world continuum going.
Even back then he was already convinced that turn-based games don't sell. :lol:

And this in 2004:

GP: Changing the subject, since you headed both Fallout 1 and 2, do you have any thoughts on Bethesda taking on Fallout 3?

FU: I'm cool with it. I mean that's why I didn't want to leave Black Isle for so long because I wanted to make the next Fallout, and knew if I left that I couldn't make Fallout. It's one of those things that I want to wish them the best of luck--Fallout fans are the worst fans there are. I'd still like to make another Fallout, but something that worries me is whether or not making another Fallout makes sense. It was cool and a lot of fun seven years ago, but is it pertinent anymore? Both of those games sold about 500-750,000 games--it's not a blockbuster, but still pretty good for a game like that--would still that many people buy it? It's a different market now--that was around the last time that people can ship sleeper hits--it's hard to have a sleeper hit now because if something doesn't sell in two weeks Walmart wants its shelf space back. I think it's tough. My personal opinion is I don't think that Bethesda will make a game that's like a Fallout 3. I had an argument on some forum recently and said that having another Fallout game in another way of playing would be great. I don't think Interplay's game--I haven't played it so I can't say--but the reviews weren't that great. Would I like to make another Fallout? Yes, but I don't go out and search for it.

I also remember reading that he wanted FO1 to be less violent and lose the M-rating because he thought M-rated games didn't sell.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So Feargus was in Steve Jackson's corner, eh?

Fallout had a violence slider, you could have a completely bloodless game if you wanted to (I always turned it down to the second-highest setting once I acquired the pulse rifle because sifting through ashes for loot isn't fun).

Fairfax

Arcane
So Feargus was in Steve Jackson's corner, eh?

Fallout had a violence slider, you could have a completely bloodless game if you wanted to (I always turned it down to the second-highest setting once I acquired the pulse rifle because sifting through ashes for loot isn't fun).
Not at the same time, but yeah. BIS only got involved in FO2, and that game had even more M-rated stuff, so it's probably something Feargus wanted for FO3.

Prime Junta

Hey this was interesting (from the figstarter):

We are definitely talking with Paradox. The one thing we are thinking about is becoming more of a publisher ourselves, the way CD Projekt as evolved over the years, which I've been really impressed with. So, that means we might self-publish Deadfire, or play more of a role in publishing it.

Thinking of becoming a publisher, hmm...

Fry

Arcane
Could be a nice revenue source for them if they do it right, but it stinks of Brian Fargo-style financial overreach a bit.

Sizzle

Arcane
I do think about having us "re-do" PoE 1 in the PoE 2 engine, but I have a feeling that is farther down the road.

If Deadfire does extremly well after launch, PoE Director Cut could happen.

They've already said this is unlikely to happen.

The best we can hope for is that a highly obsessed motivated group of modders somehow ports the assets of PoE1 into PoE2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom