Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Fry

Arcane
I'm not suggesting he did. Just laughing at people expecting the CEO of Obsidian to talk shit about former business partners like he's an edgy forum poster.

I wonder how many different ways he has to say, "Hey, Bethesda probably isn't going to outsource the Fallout license again" before people start listening.

axedice

Cipher
Their quotes indicate that it will be a brand new IP with a mix between Skyrim/Fallout4 and Arcanum/Underrail. So you know, UE4 FPS/TPS hybrid with exploration, craft etc. Combat is going to be action shit to sell it as an alternative fallout4, but also with numbers tied to skills and feats to also sell it as an RPG. The key point is whether they're able to retain enough C&C, alternative paths and build options within the game after Feargus' console-crowd budget cuts. What they aim is to make the game apply to both consoletards and the general RPG crowd. You know, like Witcher3.

Codex will hate the game for this, though I might like it if it's not bethesda levels retarded. I even pirated Skyrim/Fallout4 and tried to play them for a few hours before raging, so I'll definitely give the Cain/Boyarsky project a chance. If the game turns out to be utter shit due to mismanagement, it might even cause Cain/Boyarsky to rage and leave Obsidian like Avellone did. Then they'll join forces with him and call Jason Anderson back to the industry to make the Ultimate MyLittlePony RPG that we've always dreamed of :M

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You're assuming it won't get cancelled, which is assuming a lot in case of Obshitian.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
When I read it yesterday there was this picture with some explanation saying that it is somehow connected to New Vegas 2. Looks like they removed it, but could've just deleted the whole article.

:killit:
Check the article posted by LESS T_T earlier on this page. The site just throws shit at the wall and edits out all the stuff that doesn't stick.
edit:

There's also a Kotaku article about it: http://archive.is/zkBks
(original, with working pictures: http://kotaku.com/why-a-fake-fallout-new-vegas-2-rumor-wont-stop-spreadi-1791837529 )
You may have seen the news on your Facebook feed, or on the front page of Reddit’s popular r/games subreddit: Obsidian is making Fallout New Vegas 2! This would all be well and good, except for the fact that they’re not.

For the past 24 hours, a rumor has buzzed that Obsidian is developing a sequel to their popular post-apocalyptic game. The news has reached thousands of people thanks to forums and social media. It’s also fake.

As Obsidian PR manager Mikey Dowling told me in an e-mail this morning: “We’ve said plenty of times that we’d love to work on a Fallout again if Bethesda wanted us to, we just aren’t at this time. Right now we’re very focused on the Fig campaign to make our first ever sequel in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Whenever a new Fallout comes around though, whoever is doing it, we all look forward to playing it!”

So where did this New Vegas 2 rumor come from? How did it get so popular? And why do we keep seeing so many fake stories about highly anticipated sequels to big games?

The answer to all of those questions is Fraghero, a website that appears to exist solely to game the algorithms of websites like Google and Facebook. It was a Fraghero article, citing an anonymous source, that reported on the existence of Fallout: New Vegas 2. “Rumors of Fallout: New Orleans set the internet abuzz last year,” Fraghero wrote, “but our source tells us, it will actually be New Vegas 2.”

They continued:

Gamers have been begging for a Fallout: New Vegas 2 sequel for seven years. It looks like their desperate cries have been heard.

Here’s what we know: (according to source)

– Upcoming reveal is planned, possibly for E3.

– Obsidian is involved.

Of course, none of this is true. Fraghero’s writers have a tendency to edit their articles after publication without notice, but an earlier version of this article also pointed to an Obsidian teaser tweet as evidence that New Vegas 2 was on the way. That teaser tweet, of course, was actually for Pillars of Eternity 2.

The Fraghero article, which has no byline, claims to have used the same anonymous source to break the announcement of Red Dead Redemption 2. They do, in fact, have an article predicting that Red Dead Redemption 2 will be announced. Check it out:

Seems like they nailed it, no? As it turns out, the people behind Fraghero actually edited the text of their article to remove all of the things they got wrong. Here’s what that same article looked like in March of 2016:

Elsewhere on Fraghero, a different article suggests:

As you can see, even Fraghero can’t decide what title Red Dead Redemption 2 is going to have. (Turns out it’s just called Red Dead Redemption 2.) A glance through their website reveals all sorts of fake news like this, including some stories we’ve highlighted before, like “GTA 6 cancelled.” The phrase “fake news” has become an irritating, overused meme in politics these days, but here’s one case where it’s an accurate descriptor.

OK, let’s zoom out for a second. You’re probably wondering: Why care so much about this Fraghero website? They’re not a major professional gaming outlet with millions of readers like IGN or Kotaku. Why even bother paying attention to this site?

Well, Fraghero has more than 300,000 followers on Facebook. Somehow, despite the fact that this website appears to consistently publish misinformation, they’ve cultivated enough of an audience to be able to drive buzz all across the internet with false stories about games like Fallout: New Vegas 2. This one article has hundreds of Facebook shares:

Maybe that’s how it got to the front page of r/games and turned into a serious irritant for the poor folks at Obsidian. Despite the fact that most people have never heard of Fraghero, this website is reaching—and misinforming—lots of people.

It’s almost satirical.

As always, we’ll keep doing our best to A) get you accurate information, B) eat shit when we screw up, and C) debunk false rumors whenever we see them spreading. In the meantime, you may wanna stay away from Fraghero.

When even Kotaku of all places is calling it hyperbolic clickbait fake rumours, you know that shit must be dumb.

Last edited:

Fry

Arcane
Deus Ex has apparently been dumped on the back burner because Mankind Divided didn't sell well and Square Enix is busy making Marvel games or some shit. Start pitching, Feargus.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This was a question about Pillars of Eternity II, but it's not all about that.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fusers%2Fprofile_images%2Fd4fa69cd78b5e5f5f6975cf35dce6fc8e9787f11%2Foriginal.png%3F1439917264

Feargus
DEVELOPER

@Kwll - Apologies, I missed responding to that earlier. It's not a secret, and the team is about 50 people right now. That goes up and down a bit. It will go up a bit in a few months as we add more QA (playtesters), but then go down a bit after that as certain people finish their work - mostly animators and artists. Comparing that to Obsidian as a whole, we have about 170 developers. So, it's a bit more than a quarter, but less than a third of our overall development staff.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No wonder they have to dumb it down.

Commenting Feargus overshares again

Who owns Arcanum rights? It is too sad if there is no chance to see a sequel.
Activision/Blizzard owns them, and we have talked to them many times about acquiring them, but they are not interested in giving them up - or licensing it to us.

"You want to pay us to make a game in this setting? Fuck you." :retarded:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I don't know, there's just something about Feargus that makes him lose all kinds of contracts mid-development and never get access to any kinds of licenses, even when he literally offers to pay. Maybe he should try sending someone else to talk in his stead, because he's just unsellable somehow, and even when he manages to sell, they still wake up to the realities of something being wrong with him and cancel all contracts just in time (like they find out something about him, something so bad, they want nothing to do with him). And even when he manages to make the game, he gets no bonus, and then the company doesn't want to work with him ever again. It's... almost disturbing.

I'd say he's cursed, but I think it's something more prosaic. I think we'll find out some day and it'll all make sense in retrospect. And he'll probably land in jail because of that thing.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Old man Urquhart and his stories:

Feargus
DEVELOPER

I am off to dinner in about 30 minutes, so I'll be signing off for most of the evening. Getting together with Chris Taylor (Lead Designer of Fallout 1), and Scott Everts (Map layout on Fallout 1 (all maps), Fallout 2 (50% of maps), and in charge of the overland map in Fallout: New Vegas, plus a ton of other games - also was the Star Trek game producer at Interplay for a while and got to work with the entire original Star Trek cast - pretty awesome).

Feargus
DEVELOPER

Oddly that was a conversation many years ago, and I was the one who was the dream killer. An agent from the William Morris agency called me and tried to convince me that the Star Trek re-boot was going to be awesome and we should put a treatment together and then work with them to get it signed. While I love Star Trek, I felt in 2006 (or around there) that it was just not something that made sense to put time into it. Two odd things came from that (1) Feargus was was wrong, the Star Trek re-boot was cool, and (2) That agent ended up moving to another agency that we were working with and he became our agent, and while he moved to CAA (Creative Artists Agency) we moved with him, and he is still our agent today.

He's tried to buy the Black Isle name from Herve:

Feargus
DEVELOPER

You are using the more traditional spelling of my name. :) Josh still makes fun of me (and even calls me this sometime) for misspelling my own name "Feargsu" when I am signing my name in an e-mail.
As for the Black Isle - it's absolutely noted and I'll have news early in the week.
And, thanks so much for all the support - it's super cool. I hated to leave Black Isle, and hated it even more that I hated to leave the name I came up with for the division/department at Interplay. I talk to them from time to time about getting it back, but the business terms are never ones that make sense.

Sannom

Augur
Do you think there are some people who believe that Feargus named his "company" back then after the Tintin album?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom