Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Feargus talked about Project Indiana and others in a Gamebanshee interview: http://www.gamebanshee.com/intervie...eternity-ii-deadfire-interview/all-pages.html

- About Project Indiana: no announcement this year; they have a partner; (like previously alluded) it's original IP
- They might try some unusual and funkier games that "can make money even if 200,000 or 300,000 people buy it"

Buck: That's great news. Another thing I was hoping we could talk about - and this is going to deviate from Pillars of Eternity - but let's change course for a bit to reflect upon the super-secret project that Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are working on.

Feargus: They're working on a super-secret project, absolutely.

Buck: Leo has tossed out a few hints here and there, suggesting that it'll be a single-player RPG and that it's his "dream game". I'm pretty sure we know that it's not Bloodlines 2 and it's not Arcanum 2 at this point, but are there any other nuggets of information you can give us?

Feargus: Not really. I think the thing is, obviously, for us, we want to make the games that we love to make and those are the games that people want to have from us. So I think that's a good hint as to kind of what you would expect. I can say that it's not Fallout, that is not what it is. So Leonard and Tim are not working on the next Fallout game or anything like that. But again, this is our opportunity to go off and do our digging, which I think is awesome. And we can’t announce who our partner is and all that. I think people are going to be really excited about it.

Buck: Given the fact that there's a partner involved, can you tell us whether it's a new IP or an existing IP?

Feargus: [LAUGHTER] It's not Fallout.

Buck: How about setting or theme?

Feargus: I'm going to be really shocking. It's an RPG.

Buck: [LAUGHTER] I guess that's something. As far as I know, that's about the only thing that has been confirmed up to this point.

Feargus: We've said nothing about it yet. Just because it's the early days and we need to closely manage these things through completion and managing – you know when it's bigger, we start to think of managing staff and how does the whole PR marketing stuff work and things like that. And so yes, so I know it's just going to irritate people like probably for like a year that we're just going to be being coy. And it's not to be coy, it's just because it's not time to – even a lot of the ideas that we're coming about right now is we also don't want to do this thing where we release a whole lot of stuff that gets people excited. But for us it's still stuff that's not – it's not the stuff we know is going to be final. Because I've seen a lot games do that; they'll release stuff that's really early and get people excited and then when the real game is promoted it's like, "Wait a minute, what happened to the big robot with the thingies and the samurai sword and the dwarf?"

See what I did there?

Buck: [LAUGHTER] Yes, I see that... you alluded to the fact that it will be a year before we'll know anything. Do you have an announcement timeframe in mind?

Feargus: We don't. I would be surprised if we did announce anything in 2017. My guess is – it's literally just a guess right now – there won't be a public announcement as to what it is until 2018.

Buck: Okay. What more can you tell us about the other games you have in development outside of this title and Pillars of Eternity II, such as Pathfinder Adventures?

Feargus: We're still working on Pathfinder, and it's going to come to Steam pretty soon. We're looking at how much more we'll support it. We're looking at potentially doing another one of the whole box sets. There's three or four box sets. We've done one and all its modules. We'd do another one. We're continuing to support Tyranny and we're talking a lot to Paradox about what other kind of support we could give Tyranny. And that's the stuff we're working on right now. We are actively proposing other games and we have enough proposals out right now and hopefully we're going to know in the next, sort of 30 to 60 days. the kind of what proposals are there.

I'm also looking at, is there other kind of financing I can go get from different kinds of investors? It would be cool to do a turn-based game. A lot of people ask all the time about doing a turn-based game. It's not like we could put a switch in the Eternity engine and now it's turn-based but the engine is pretty mature right now. And so what would take to put in a rule system in or stick with the rule system up there and then make a turn-based game. And maybe that game is in the Eternity universe and maybe it's not. One of Josh's favorite games of all time is Darklands. So he really would like to make sort of a non-fantastic medieval game.

So yeah, me and Josh are going to talk this year about how to do that. I also talk about how we could take the Eternity engine and make a film noir RPG you know, black and white. I don't know. It sounds totally silly but with that kind of, like, how people talk and just that vibe. But we're talking about a lot of stuff and we're going to be pitching people. And also, I'm looking at other ways to get funding for games so we can maybe try some of this stuff and not spend Pillars of Eternity level money. We can try unusual things and we can make money even if 200,000 or 300,000 people buy it, and if they enjoy it, that's awesome. And that can get maybe some funkier games out there in the market.

Buck: Yeah, absolutely. I think there are a lot of themes that go untouched and it's really unfortunate. I could see a AAA western-themed RPG being totally viable, and we really don't have enough gritty, seedy, horror-themed RPGs. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines has had a very long shelf life and it's still considered an iconic RPG to this day, yet no other horror-themed RPGs in a similar style have emerged since then.

I know White Wolf is starting to get back into that market with Werewolf officially announced and a few rumors about Bloodlines 2, but I'd love to see some of those lesser known themes explored more often, and it's unfortunate that they aren't. With Kickstarter and Fig and some of these other crowdfunding options, I'm hoping we will see more titles with these uncommon themes.

Feargus: Yeah.

Buck: And it'd be great if Obsidian was behind one of them.

Feargus: Yes, yes. I think Urban Fantasy is interesting. Urban Fantasy being like Vampire. The Urban Fantasy in the last two years is a little too – I'm not against romance and all that kind of stuff but some of it has gotten a little too romance-y for me. And I've probably talked to you about this before but the flavor that I think is interesting is Neil Gaiman's Other World. I think it's a novel called Other World or something like that. There was even like a BBC miniseries on it and it's about guy who falls into this other world of weapons.

And then there's a series of books by Simon Green about the Nightside which again is this kind of world where demons and angels and goblins just hang out in a city. So it's interesting. We actually have a pitch called "Hidden" which is about this darker city and it's about, sort of the real elements. We probably wrote the pitch nine years ago and it's maybe a darker, less Disney version of “Once” was kind of the concept even though there was no “Once” at the time.

I don't know. I think it would be cool to play in that kind of world, as well.

Sentinel

Arcane
Buck: Leo has tossed out a few hints here and there, suggesting that it'll be a single-player RPG and that it's his "dream game". I'm pretty sure we know that it's not Bloodlines 2 and it's not Arcanum 2 at this point, but are there any other nuggets of information you can give us?

Feargus: Not really. I think the thing is, obviously, for us, we want to make the games that we love to make and those are the games that people want to have from us. So I think that's a good hint as to kind of what you would expect. I can say that it's not Fallout, that is not what it is. So Leonard and Tim are not working on the next Fallout game or anything like that. But again, this is our opportunity to go off and do our digging, which I think is awesome. And we can’t announce who our partner is and all that. I think people are going to be really excited about it.

Ah shit, it doesn't sound good to me that Cainarsky's project will have a partner...
It doesn't sound good when you realize it's a Triple A game for consoles.

Don Peste

Arcane

Ah shit, it doesn't sound good to me that Cainarsky's project will have a partner...
Source 2 FPS RPG with Valve?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Well, Boyarsky said in the SINFO talk Bloodlines suffered from the fact Source engine was not complete. While Source 2 used in DotA 2 and small things, I think I read it's not ready for general development at the moment.

Quillon

Arcane

Why not? I'd like to see AAA gems from Obs again like AP & NV.

Isn't it unreal engine? And looking at the Unreal Engine 4 games at wiki; Squenix stands out with 2 games in development using UE4, maybe its them.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
It's Square Enix, Paradox, or CDProjekt which Josh visited recently maybe for business proposal. Who knows.
Or maybe it's Bethesda and continuation of Backspace project.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
5) Project Illinois???

Unless PoE2 is a failure, this would be time for PoE3.

LinkedIn still shows that they have about 190+ employees, though if you deduct marketing, owners, assistants, PR guys and such they would have about 150-170 people working on games. 50 on Pillars 2, 10 on Pathfinder and that still leaves about 90-110 people to work on Tyranny support, Indiana and what ever else they are cooking.
I think Obsidian has more than 20-40 people who aren't directly working on a single project.

Don Peste

Arcane

Why not? I'd like to see AAA gems from Obs again like AP & NV.
Are we positive partner means publisher here? I can't picture Leonard and Tim making their dream project with... Square Enix. :|
Sadly I can't even trust Feargus giving them enough freedom to build their own thing, like they did with Fallout, or even at Troika.
Could it be someone from Fig? Like... TIM SCHAFER? Tim Schafer writing the script? Oh I wish it was Ron Gilbert.
Notch?

Flou

Arbiter
Unless PoE2 is a failure, this would be time for PoE3.

I think Obsidian has more than 20-40 people who aren't directly working on a single project.

After reading that GB interview I would say it depends on how their pitches work out and whether Paradox wants a full on sequel for Tyranny.

You are counting Q&A on that 20-40 people? If you do, then I agree on the number even though they just did layoff some of their Q&A (AW).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He doesn't mean QA, he means support personnel. Community managers, marketing, HR, office administrators and secretaries. They're a big enough company.

Flou

Arbiter
He doesn't mean QA, he means support personnel. Community managers, marketing, HR, office administrators and secretaries. They're a big enough company.

40 on just supporting staff? That sounds a bit too much, 20-25 without Q&A and 40 with Q&A would be my "guess". I counted the amount of "support" staff from both Armored Warfare and Tyranny. AW had 18, Tyranny had 23.

exe

Augur
I'm playing MotB and randomly look into Okku's inventory and notice he has 2 paws and a bite attack lying in his inventory and not equipped anymore. I can equip one at a time, but not all of them like it used to be. Can I fix his lack of attacks or do I need to reload an old save where he wasn't broken yet? Not sure if I have an unbroken save.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Is there a list of all the states / projects and what games do they represent?

If someone wants to make a new thread about that, AND will keep it updated, I'll make a sticky thread for it. Would be nice I think.

axedice

Cipher
Feargus: Yes, yes. I think Urban Fantasy is interesting. Urban Fantasy being like Vampire. The Urban Fantasy in the last two years is a little too – I'm not against romance and all that kind of stuff but some of it has gotten a little too romance-y for me. And I've probably talked to you about this before but the flavor that I think is interesting is Neil Gaiman's Other World. I think it's a novel called Other World or something like that. There was even like a BBC miniseries on it and it's about guy who falls into this other world of weapons.

And then there's a series of books by Simon Green about the Nightside which again is this kind of world where demons and angels and goblins just hang out in a city. So it's interesting. We actually have a pitch called "Hidden" which is about this darker city and it's about, sort of the real elements. We probably wrote the pitch nine years ago and it's maybe a darker, less Disney version of “Once” was kind of the concept even though there was no “Once” at the time.

I don't know. I think it would be cool to play in that kind of world, as well.

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series is also an interesting setting for an urban RPG. It's a bit like World of Darkness mix where mages, werewolves, vampires and various faeries like pixies and trolls all exist, along with Greek / Norse gods and even Christian Arch-Angels, there's an astral plane where all the unusual stuff live. They can manifest / travel to the physical plane and some even live in it if they can successfully blend in with the mortals. It has lots of historical references ranging from an anti-christ like figure creating the bubonic plague , to the White Court of vampires conspiring to have Bram Stoker write the "Dracula" to teach the mortals how to find and kill Black Court vampires (which eventually caused black vampires to go nearly extinct).

The writing is not the best, but the setting has kept me interested so far. Come to think about it, it would really make a great RPG with a non chosen-one type of story.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series is also an interesting setting for an urban RPG. It's a bit like World of Darkness mix where mages, werewolves, vampires and various faeries like pixies and trolls all exist, along with Greek / Norse gods and even Christian Arch-Angels, there's an astral plane where all the unusual stuff live. They can manifest / travel to the physical plane and some even live in it if they can successfully blend in with the mortals. It has lots of historical references ranging from an anti-christ like figure creating the bubonic plague , to the White Court of vampires conspiring to have Bram Stoker write the "Dracula" to teach the mortals how to find and kill Black Court vampires (which eventually caused black vampires to go nearly extinct).

The writing is not the best, but the setting has kept me interested so far. Come to think about it, it would really make a great RPG with a non chosen-one type of story.
I prefer the most down to earth, if such a thing is possible, urban fantasy the like of the rivers of London books, or the Alex versus novels.

Anyways, I prefer obsidian when they are working with established ips where they can twist pre-conceived notions of what the lore/characters should be.

So a new kotor or fallout game would be the best thing for them in my opinion.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
List of Obsidian projects:

1. Delaware - Knights of the Old Republic II
2. Pennsylvania - Neverwinter Nights 2
3. New Jersey - Dwarfs
4. Georgia - Alpha Protocol
5. Connecticut - Aliens: Crucible
6. Massachusetts - Mask of the Betrayer
7. Maryland - Dungeon Siege III
8. South Carolina - Storm of Zehir
9. New Hampshire - Fallout: New Vegas
10. Virginia - Cancelled XBLA Action-RPG
11. New York - South Park: The Stick of Truth
12. North Carolina - Stormlands
14. Vermont - Tyranny
15. Kentucky - Prey 2
16. Tennessee - Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
17. Ohio - Armored Warfare
18. Louisiana - Pillars of Eternity 2
19. Indiana - Cain/Boyarsky RPG

Smaller projects:

3. Trenton - Pillars of Eternity

Doubts:

Why is Prey 2 in this list? And I think Illinois is missing, right?

Flou

Arbiter
Doubts:

Why is Prey 2 in this list? And I think Illinois is missing, right?

Illinois and/or Mississippi are still in pitch mode and haven't gotten a project name. Prey 2 got a project name back in the day.
Rhode Island is missing from that list though, it was game that was shelved for some reason, nothing else is known about it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Leonard Boyarsky interview: http://rubberchickengames.com/2017/...allout-rpgs-and-creating-worlds-from-scratch/

He talks about the conference he attended, Project Indiana (not much, but some hints), a look back at circumstances around Fallout 2, advice to wannbe developers, and others.

LEONARD BOYARSKY: FALLOUT, RPGS AND CREATING WORLDS FROM SCRATCH

SINFO is a well known event among computer engineering and computer science students in Portugal. The 24th edition took place at Técnico Lisboa (Alameda campus) between the 20th and the 24th of February, and gathered, beside the obvious target audience (students and technology enthusiasts), interesting and influential people and employers. For us, the people we have to pretend we are most excited about every year are the people that are somehow involved with the videogame industry: previous editions brought people from Naughty Dog, EA Games, Bioware, Blizzard and much more. As for this year, we got Leonard Boyarsky from Obsidian and Mike Ambinder from Valve.

Leonard Boyarsky has a pretty unique legacy in the videogame industry: he has been an artist, art director, designer, project lead and even CEO, and he was also part of the teams responsible for a lot of creative decisions on projects such as Fallout, Fallout 2, Diablo III, Arcanum, Vampire the Masquerade – Bloodlines and is currently working at Obsidian on a new project (that is not Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire). It’s a sunny but windy day, 11AM, temperature is close to 16ºC (more or less 60ºF) and after the staff invited me to their coffee-break a ton of times, I got the chance to interview Leonard.

Rubber Chicken: Is this your first time in Portugal? Are you enjoying your stay? What do you think of our country?

Leonard Boyarsky: I love it. We were really tired Sunday, we’ve spent a lot of the time downtown, went to the castle, yesterday we went to Belém. It was really nice, we’ve walked around quite a bit. It’s wonderful, we didn’t know much about Portugal other than what I’d learned in school when I was 18 years old, 17 years old, so, you know, it’s been a while, but it’s very beautiful and I like it a lot!

RC: SINFO is an event that allows attendants to interact and be closer to influential, important and interesting people or companies in the fields of information technology and computer science. What are your thoughts on this initiative and what do you think you can add with this interaction with general attendance and students?

LB: I think this is really great. It feels very professional, it feels like everything has been taken care of, there’s been no hiccups and no problems, so the fact that this is all run by the students with no advisors and no outside help has really impressed us. I think it’s great to have this kind of things for different industries. As far as what I can bring: I’ve thought a lot about it because this is a very tech heavy event and I’m much more on the artistic/writing side, and I think the main point that I can help them understand and give them information about how it is to work with someone who has a more artistic, less technical view, and the way someone like me thinks about things. I also talk about how I’ve interacted with programmers over time, and offer advice on how programmers should interact with us less technical types, cause even if you’re not in games, in any kind of industry you’ll have to deal with the less technical people, trying to get what they need from whatever program you’re doing. And hopefully it will be fun to hear me talk about my career in general as well.

RC: Can you give some insight about your work? What do you enjoy most doing on a project?

LB: The thing I enjoy most is creating worlds from scratch, creating my own worlds, I really like starting with nothing and coming out with what our world will all be about. I’ve done that on Fallout, I didn’t do it myself, I did with a team, but we did it on Fallout, we did it on Arcanum, we are doing it on a new project we’re working on now at Obsidian. Even on Diablo III, when I came on, one of the things we did was to start to make the world bigger, to add new areas, new civilizations, so I did a lot of work on that. It’s very interesting, when you’re scripting (that’s a junior form of programming) it’s almost like, figuring out a puzzle. To me, when you’re there and making the game, it’s actually a game itself, and it’s the most challenging game because there’s no rules, and you need to decide what winning conditions are every time you do it. Unless you’re working on sequels, which I have never really done, except when we did the expansion for Diablo III and I started work on Fallout 2. So every time you start from scratch again, start to figure what kind of problems there are gonna be and tackle them along the way, because you always know: at a certain point, during development, no matter what game I’ve worked on, or people on other teams I’ve talked to, there’s always a point when everything’s gone to hell, nothing’s gonna work, you’re doomed. So in reality, to me, it’s more fun than any game other people can make for you to play because it’s kind of this free form thing. And your livelihood depends on it, so the stakes are much higher.

RC: Do you feel that this new project you’re working at Obsidian is like your little baby and putting a lot of creative effort on it?

LB: Yeah, you know, in a lot of ways it feels like going home, because a lot of people at Obsidian used to work at Troika, Interplay or both, so I’m working with a lot of people I’ve worked before, returning to the same kind of thing I’ve done before. It’s very creative, that’s the part that I love about it. But in videogames, you know, even though Blizzard is a huge company, in each of the teams has a ‘small team’ feel to it. I don’t know how it is on World Of Warcraft, that’s obviously gigantic, but speaking for the Diablo team, it still felt like a small team even though we were part of a big company. So everybody had a bunch of creative input into the process. At some of the other larger companies, which I’ve not worked at, there are positions that all you do its texture map, or just model. You know, they give you a drawing and they say “model this!”, and that’s your job, and that to me is, you know, it’s a great job in and of itself, but to me that wouldn’t be as fun as to have some creative input. So, hopefully, what we would like to do is give our whole team is the chance to create this thing from the ground up.

RC: What influence do you think pen-and-paper RPGs have on the RPG genre?

LB: I think there are great things about being influenced by pen-and-paper RPGs, but there’s things that we really need to let go of because we are now so far removed from that. Obviously, being able to look up all the hit tables instantly, and roll all these dice instantly felt really good, and it was a really great version of that originally. But, because of the fact that you don’t have a bunch of friends playing with you and you’re playing with a computer, you need to make certain changes. For instance, when we first started Fallout it was supposed to be GURPS (Generic Universal RolePlaying System), and we were extremely faithful to the rules, and it was actually very fortunate that we broke away from that because we would have been a very faithful adaptation of that, but I don’t know how fun that would have been as a computer game. When you look at the pen and paper rules, there all these little rules to do every little thing, where you don’t need most of those rules in a computer game. So, it’s weird, and you know, the thing they’re trying to do at Pillars of Eternity, if I can speak from them, is to kind of get away from all the stuff that is a holdover from the old days, but keep the stuff that is the heart of those kind of games that people really enjoyed, to somehow recreate that.

RC: So, during development of Fallout 2 at Interplay, you left to found Troika Games. How does it feel to leave a project that was important to you in other people’s hands?

LB: On one hand it was very difficult, on the other hand it wasn’t difficult at all, because, when we made Fallout we were sitting over in a corner doing our own thing, no one was paying attention to us. They originally did not have the Dungeons and Dragons license, so that’s why we were making a GURPS game in the first place. Once they got the Dungeons and Dragons license they were like “well, let’s just put everybody on that”, but then they looked at what we’ve already done, and the progress we’d made, and they said “Well, this looks okay, so we’ll just let you keep going”. But all their focus was on the Dungeons and Dragons games, so we were literally just left alone to do whatever we wanted.

But at the end of Fallout, when it looked like Fallout could actually be something, especially at the beginning of Fallout 2, all of a sudden all these people: marketing people, owners and executives started looked at what we’re doing and started making very strong suggestions about things we needed to do. Fallout had been such a wonderful, great experience and we were starting to feel like Fallout 2 was not gonna be fun – “Fallout 2 will be stressful, it’s gonna be something where we would have to defend our decisions constantly”- which may or may not be true, but it was something that we definitely felt at the time. So it was difficult to walk away, because I felt a lot of pride for what we’d made, and I would have loved to continue to work on the Fallout franchise, but at the same time, we didn’t want to leave with a bad memory of Fallout. We were leaving with this fantastic thing we accomplished, let’s get out before it turns sour in our minds. And we did the design work for Fallout 2, we planned what the main story arc was gonna be, we planned a lot of sidequests. I mean – they even put sidequests in Fallout 2 that were just notes on a scrap of paper which was very nice, it felt to me like they really wanted to continue in the spirit we had started. We also did things like change what the vaults were. They originally were supposed to be just what they were, fallout shelters, but we came up with the idea that the vaults were actually these experiments, and I like how that evolved the setting.

So in a lot of ways, and I’m not taking anything away from the people who implemented it, because it’s easy to came up with ideas, the hard part is actually to do the work on the game, but I feel it really reflects what we wanted to do with it. Got a little bit sillier than we probably would have, but hm… yeah, I don’t really think it hit me until later, when Bethesda bought it. As long it was Interplay I felt it was fine, because we walked away from it, it was a choice we’d made. But when it got sold to a third party, then it was kinda of weird to us. If it was going to somebody else we should have had the chance to bid on it, but obviously we didn’t had the kind of money that Bethesda had.

RC: Do you have any advice to someone trying to enter the videogame industry?

LB: It really depends on what you’re trying to do. If you want to work on triple A titles and just want to be an artist, and you don’t care about being part of the creative process of creating a world, for instance, then just be really good at your craft, and work at it. But if you want to do something more like what I’ve done, which is, you know, the whole entire process, and have a good feel for the entirety of making a game, then I would suggest doing an independent game, or even just for fun with your friends, or in a college course, or going to work at a small startup. It’s a really great way – it might not be a good financial decision – but in terms of learning how to make a game, it’s great.

Because, I mean, while Fallout was fully funded by Interplay and we didn’t have to worry about the financial part of it, for all intents and purposes it kinda ran like a little independent game. I did a lot of the animation, I did a bit of every type of art there was, I wrote, I did design, the only thing was I didn’t do was scripting, I didn’t do that until later, I didn’t do any programming but I think I touched every other thing in that game. And Jason (our technical art lead, one of the other guys I started Troika Games with) did that as well. And we only had a couple of other artists. There were some people that were specialised, but I think most people on the project did multiple different things. But today if I want to go work at a giant company and I’m a writer they go: “Here’s all our missions, write dialog for it” or “Here’s a character, texture map this guy”. So as far as that goes it’s all I know how to do, but if I work at a small independent company where I have to wear a lot of different hats, I’m gonna be able to kinda see how the whole process works. And then you know, maybe later you say “I just want a secure job, I like working in the videogame industry but I don’t want the stress that comes with that”. Cause it is a lot less stressful just to be given a drawing and be told “here, model this”, “this is how many polygons you have”, “Give it to me in two weeks”. That’s a very defined problem, you don’t have to reinvent the wheel. Where as you know, the kinda stuff we do, it’s like walking on a tightrope a lot of times, there’s a lot of chances for failure. So it really depends on what you want to do, but I think for anybody who wants to get in the industry it’s really a good thing, if you’re young and don’t have a lot of financial responsibilities, to make a small game with a small group of people so as a group you figure out the problems together. Cause that puts you in a better position to understand the kind of challenges you’re gonna be facing on the games you’re making in the future.

RC: Do you think that making a game with a small team is more rewarding, then?

LB: I think so… The problem that I have is that I love to make really in depth role playing games and you can’t do that with a small group of people anymore. You couldn’t really ever, I mean, even Fallout had 30+ people and on Arcanum we went kinda insane and did it with 12 people. That was unheard of, and probably not a good idea, but, in today’s day and age, if we want to be competing in the marketplace, you need a certain amount of money to make it, cause it has to be competitive, which means you gonna have to have some 50 ~ 70 people. I would love to make a game with 10 ~ 15 people again, but you can’t make a roleplaying game like that anymore. So, it’s a hard thing. It would be really nice to do it with a few people and have everybody so involved in the process, because, no matter how much you try, if you have a team with 50~60 people there are gonna be people who are gonna feel like they are not part of the process no matter how much you try to include everybody.

RC: I think this covers it all, thank you so much for your time!

LB: Thank you, it was my pleasure. I hope I didn’t ramble on too much for you.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Did we know it was a original ip?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom