Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Besides paradox, which are the contestants? Microsoft?

It's a new I.P. so it could literally be anyone, even a company that has never had anything to do with video games previously.

The only clues we have is 1) new I.P. 2) there's a partner 3) Leonard Boyarsky considers it "the game of his dreams"

So our sleuthing should center around Leonard Boyarsky's personal interests and considering what would be a dream game to him. If it is an original IP then we're never going to figure out exactly what it is, but we may be able to get a general of what this game is like and what it might be about. I doubt he would describe it as a "game of his dreams" if it is too generic, so its probably going to have a theme or setting that you don't see often, if ever.

Sannom

Augur
Bethesda or EA, it's either a new kotor game or a new fallout game.
Which part of "new IP"'s unclear to you?

Any respectably sized publisher who still happens to use third-party developers could fit. I can think of Microsoft, Focus Interactive, Paradox, Bethesda and Warner Bros. Do Activision, EA and Ubisoft still use third-party developers?

Latelistener

Arcane
Do Activision, EA and Ubisoft still use third-party developers?
Activision published Transformers: Devastation, made by Platinum Games.
EA published the Titanfall series, made by Respawn.
The last more or less "big" made by third-party developers and published by Ubisoft was Gunslinger I think.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I think Leonard said he never worked with Paradox while at Obsidian during the Q&A of that talk, so probably not them. Or he's being sneaky. Can double check if they ever get around to putting it back up on their channel.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Which part of "new IP"'s unclear to you?

Any respectably sized publisher who still happens to use third-party developers could fit. I can think of Microsoft, Focus Interactive, Paradox, Bethesda and Warner Bros. Do Activision, EA and Ubisoft still use third-party developers?
The part where they misdirect yous.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
The only clues we have is 1) new I.P. 2) there's a partner 3) Leonard Boyarsky considers it "the game of his dreams"

And the game's using UE4.

At least read the prev. page.

UE4 implies it probably won't be isometric. Possibly something akin to Fallout: New Vegas maybe? I mean, we know it isn't literally Fallout, but that doesn't mean it can't be Fallout-like. Someone might have looked at how well FO4 sold and thought "hey, let's hire these guys who started the franchise in the first place and let's make something like that".

Sentinel

Arcane

It's a new I.P. so it could literally be anyone, even a company that has never had anything to do with video games previously.

So our sleuthing should center around Leonard Boyarsky's personal interests and considering what would be a dream game to him. If it is an original IP then we're never going to figure out exactly what it is, but we may be able to get a general of what this game is like and what it might be about. I doubt he would describe it as a "game of his dreams" if it is too generic, so its probably going to have a theme or setting that you don't see often, if ever.
And that it's using UE4.
And that it's a triple-A title coming to consoles.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm... Brand new IP. AAA console title using UE4. And it's Boyarsky's dream game?

I really have no idea. We should set up bets for which thematic genre it is. Since Boyarsky describes the title as a "dream game" I bet it is a genre he has never worked on before (or else it wouldn't have been a "dream" for him): so not fantasy or steampunk, not post-apocalyptic.

Cyberpunk or sci-fi then?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Roguey Do you know what each of those girls do @ Obsidian?

C6bgKmDU4AAQrSc.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom