Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
No XP for combat confirmed, sorry grogs :cool:
It's kinda funny how the justification for no combat xp is so combat can be avoided but noone avoids combat in CRPGs because more often than not it's missing content.

Being multi platform, I wonder if that's wise decision given that consoletards tend to be even less forgiving with no rewards for bashing things over the head.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
No XP for combat confirmed, sorry grogs :cool:

I'd have no problem with that, but the game'd also need to provide enough fulfilling non-combat gameplay, and character systems to support that. In PoE - for example - you built and played a party of combatants, the most of what you did was fighting and killing stuff. In that light it was a kind of weird solution to not reward the games most prominent activity and nearly the sole purpose for the character systems.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In that light it was a kind of weird solution to not reward the games most prominent activity and nearly the sole purpose for the character systems.

Josh Sawyer said:
There's an idea I don't subscribe to -- that players need to be given tiny rewards for everything they do. If your gameplay is actually fun, you shouldn't need to bribe them! When gameplay simply becomes drudgery motivated by a desire to gain a bonus that makes the gameplay easier, I feel that we have failed as designers.
If it is not rewarding enough to play on its own, stop playing our terrible game.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
In that light it was a kind of weird solution to not reward the games most prominent activity and nearly the sole purpose for the character systems.

Josh Sawyer said:
There's an idea I don't subscribe to -- that players need to be given tiny rewards for everything they do. If your gameplay is actually fun, you shouldn't need to bribe them! When gameplay simply becomes drudgery motivated by a desire to gain a bonus that makes the gameplay easier, I feel that we have failed as designers.
If it is not rewarding enough to play on its own, stop playing our terrible game.

He's not wrong, bad gameplay does not turn good if you start handing out rewards, but in my experience it is not really the case "rewarding" or "awarding" in a the flattest sense of the words, but more about the feel and sense of progressing the character. How ever abstract or minuscule, it does have a different feel to it when you know your character learned something, as opposed to it being simply flat gameplay.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Buffed Leonard vs buffed Pagliarulo:

fBcTqRMJ_400x400.jpg

Who would win?

pippin

Pagliarulo used to be a fat fuck though. Boyarsky is ripped from all his training punching centaurs in the face while scavenging on the wasteland.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Tim Cain's 2012 Fallout 1 postmortem is now available on GDC Youtube channel:

You can see all the slides unlike the GameSpot version.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Job ads:

Senior Animator
Obsidian Entertainment is looking for talented, self-motivated Animator to join us in creating content for a high profile role playing game

Senior UI Artist
Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a Senior UI Artist to collaborate in the design and creation of the user interface for our next great multi-platform RPG.

Senior Character Artist
Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a talented and self-motivated Senior Character Artist to join our growing team of RPG developers.

Associate Marketing Manager
We're looking for a versatile Associate Marketing Manager who will take charge of brand, channel, and product marketing efforts for Pillars of Eternity, our award-winning computer role-playing series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom