Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Jason Lewis, senior environment artist who led the Mos Eisley project, started another (presumably personal) Star Wars fan project: a remake of the first level from Dark Forces: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5lerE

jason-lewis-df-impbase-01-007.jpg

Dark Forces Remake

So being the huge Star Wars Nerd that I am, I really enjoyed the last fan project I did along with several friends of mine, the Mos Eisley UE4 tech demo, so I recently decided to start a new fan project. With the Mos Eisley project, I didn't get to push it as far as I wanted to, namely there were no characters and no game-play in it, so this time I wanted to do something more complete. I was a HUGE fan of the old 1st-person Star Wars shooters from Lucas Arts back in the 90's, so I have started a fan remake of the first level, the Imperial Base. I am striving to take it even further than the Mos Eisley project in terms of visual quality, and also include characters and gameplay similar to the original game. This is probably going to take some time as I don't have a lot of free time these days, but hopefully I can get it done in the not-too-distant future. Here are some VERY EARLY WIP shots out of the 3ds Max viewport.

More images at the link.

They look, shockingly enough, like VERY EARlY WIP shots (i.e. like crap)

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, knowing that PoE2 publisher is not Paradox, WHY IN HELL did Paradox pay for all those press conferences and marketing?

Sentinel

Arcane
Promote Tyranny.

They just forgot to tell journos they were supposed to be promoting Tyranny, not Tim Cain/Fallout/Pillars of Eternity.

Quillon

Arcane
So, knowing that PoE2 publisher is not Paradox, WHY IN HELL did Paradox pay for all those press conferences and marketing?
Tides have turned, its the evul developer tyme! Obs' bait & switch on Pdx.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't know what to think anymore other than this is some weird shit. Seems like Feargus has secret life mission to burn bridges with every publisher on the planet.

Sentinel

Arcane
I mean Paradox didn't do shit really. Their marketing is fucking awful and you have to make a conscious effort to even notice it. And not having them publish PoE2 doesn't mean bridges were burned. Maybe Paradox refused it for whatever reason.

RepHope

Savant
I mean Paradox didn't do shit really. Their marketing is fucking awful and you have to make a conscious effort to even notice it. And not having them publish PoE2 doesn't mean bridges were burned. Maybe Paradox refused it for whatever reason.
Not owning the IP could've played a part, although that didn't stop them the first time.

Fry

Arcane
Developing PoE for console took a lot of commitment, but I assume they're getting most of the profit from that.

The Bishop

Cipher
Why doesn't Sega just sell the rights back? It's not like the brand is worth much right now, certainly less than all the other brands they've fucked up.
Because if game under IP that was sold for little goes to sell a lot, the executive that made the decision to sell the rights will pay with his head. And if you trying to acquire an IP without wanting to make a lot of money, why would you care in the first place? Sounds suspicious. So they'd rather sit on their IPs than allow a slightest chance of a competitor profiting off them.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Promote Tyranny.

They just forgot to tell journos they were supposed to be promoting Tyranny, not Tim Cain/Fallout/Pillars of Eternity.
Don't forget Alpha Protocol.
Why doesn't Sega just sell the rights back? It's not like the brand is worth much right now, certainly less than all the other brands they've fucked up.

That's very typical in gaming industry, the studios are reluctant to make sequel or something, but they dont want to sell the property in case the game made would prove to be a success. They'd rather sit on it than let someone else to potentially get success out of it.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Thanks, Capitalism-on-steroids!
Well, commietard (according to signiture at least and oh, your profile...just visited...), capitalism despite all of its flaws and need to be improved (neoliberal current one has many downsides and is everything but free market) still gave us 99,9% if not 100% of all the games every single one of us and everyone else ever played, hated or loved to death. What communism gave us? Tetris. Even for that one to really take off it took capitalism and creator received zero cause owning anything including IP rights is punishable by death in glorious communism.

Long live gobunism and Bwenie Sandwews! DarkUnderlord, will you be so kind to step down (ahem, comrades point their guns at you...) and let commissar Prime Cunta take over. He and commissar Drax can't wait to purge this site of all reactionary ebil capitalist fashists and their stupid ebil capitalist, fashist games! From now, there will be only one equal thread (some threads are more visited than others, injustice!), only one subforum. Stop thread and subforum segregation! One forum, one thread, one game. Tetris, DISCUSS!!!

No truce with Furries gets canceled by central government cause despite team being 99% gomunist one of the writers turns out to be wrong kind of commie, making him enemy of revolution and game reactionary countra revolutionary propaganda. All files and assets to be erased...

Latelistener

Arcane
Sooner or later they will have to do something with all that WoD property they acquired. :smug:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:deadhorse: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09...dev-would-certainly-love-to-make-more-fallout

FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS DEV 'WOULD CERTAINLY LOVE' TO MAKE MORE FALLOUT

Fallout: New Vegas director Josh Sawyer spoke to the possibility of Obsidian Entertainment making another Fallout game, saying that given the opportunity, the studio would love to work on another entry in Bethesda's post-apocalyptic franchise.

"I would certainly love to work on a Fallout game again," Sawyer said on the latest episode of IGN Expert Mode. "I know there are tons of people at Obsidian who would love to work on a Fallout game again. If we were given the chance, we would certainly love to."

Even though he's currently working on projects that aren't related to Bethesda's open-world franchise, Sawyer said he gets "more questions about Fallout than anything else," noting the question as to whether or not Obsidian will return to the franchise is something "people ask all the time."

Read IGN's Fallout: New Vegas review to find out why we believe Obsidian's 2010 action role-playing game is "definitely a wasteland worth exploring."

Also, be sure to check out this week's full episode of IGN Expert Mode for even more from our interview with Sawyer, including details about a Vegas-style wedding sequence he wanted to include in Fallout: New Vegas.

Full video on Facebook:

Novac killing spree.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Expert Mode" huh? Looks like that's a new thing that started three weeks ago.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09...nted-to-include-hilarious-vegas-style-wedding

FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS DEV WANTED TO INCLUDE HILARIOUS VEGAS-STYLE WEDDING

Fallout: New Vegas director Josh Sawyer has revealed a hilarious Vegas-style wedding scene he wanted to include in Obsidian's post-apocalyptic action RPG.

"There's a character in the game named Cass—and she's a hard drinking lady—and we had this idea of her and the courier getting into this drinking match and blacking out," Sawyer said on the latest episode of IGN Expert Mode.

That sequence would have then been followed by a "cutscene where you wake up but you're still kind of blacked out and you're in front of the king—who's essentially an Elvis impersonator—and he's marrying your characters."

After that, Sawyer said the player would black out again, and then "you wake up and you have wedding rings and you basically just got this Vegas-style wedding."

Sawyer explained that while "it would have been very nice" to include the scene in the game, "cutscenes were a thing that were very hard for us to do and very expensive for us to do," and given the small number of players that would actually see the sequence, it just wasn't something Obsidian could afford to include.

For more on Obsidian's open-world RPG, read IGN's Fallout: New Vegas review, and be sure to check out IGN Expert Mode to watch our full interview with Sawyer.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/21/why-canceled-fallout-3-project-was-never-finished

WHY CANCELED FALLOUT 3 PROJECT WAS NEVER FINISHED

Before making Fallout: New Vegas at Obsidian Entertainment, game director Josh Sawyer served as the lead designer on the canceled Fallout 3 project that was in development at Black Isle Studios. Speaking to IGN, Sawyer shared a few details about the abandoned game, including why it ultimately never game to fruition.

"It's because the parent company of Black Isle Studios, Interplay, was in a difficult financial situation for a really long time," Sawyer explained on the latest episode of IGN Expert Mode. "We had put off working on Fallout 3 for years, working on various other projects... [and] we really didn't get a chance to start working on it until Interplay was already in a lot of trouble."

Staff from Black Isle then left to form Obsidian and "everything kind of collapsed and in the process," Sawyer added, noting that shortly thereafter, "Interplay sold the rights for Fallout to Bethesda."

With regard to his plans for the canceled project, Sawyer pointed to the squad-based game Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel—which featured both real-time and turn-based modes—saying he wanted to make Fallout 3 a turn-based game, but due to pressure from retailers against turn-based games, they planned to compromise and make Fallout 3 a game that offered both real-time and turn-based modes of play.

For more on the history of Fallout 3, find out what Obsidian CEO Fergus Urquhart told IGN about another canceled Fallout 3 project, which ultimately led to the creation of Icewind Dale. While you're at it, check out this week's new episode of IGN Expert Mode to find out what Sawyer had to say about a hilarious wedding scene he wanted to include in Fallout: New Vegas.

Last edited:

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
"For the monocled gentlemen who want to peer behind the industry curtain we present expert mode, our hip new cool ranch flavour of doritos. The same puff pieces with undisclosed amazon affiliate links you know and love, but with milquetoast dev interviews".

Meanwhile at Obsidian...

FEARGUS: Josh, I need you to shave, there's another interview with IGN about NV.

SAWYER: There's nothing more to say. We emptied our vault during the blitz. Can I grow my salt and pepper beard back? Chicks dig it.

FEARGUS: Just repeat the usual talking points, they won't notice. You're the face of the company. Be satisfied with your sleeve tats.

IGN EXPERT MODE: FALLOUT NEW VEGAS DEV 'WOULD CERTAINLY LOVE' TO MAKE MORE FALLOUT!

Drax

Arcane
Thanks, Capitalism-on-steroids!
Well, commietard (according to signiture at least and oh, your profile...just visited...), capitalism despite all of its flaws and need to be improved (neoliberal current one has many downsides and is everything but free market) still gave us 99,9% if not 100% of all the games every single one of us and everyone else ever played, hated or loved to death. What communism gave us? Tetris. Even for that one to really take off it took capitalism and creator received zero cause owning anything including IP rights is punishable by death in glorious communism.

Long live gobunism and Bwenie Sandwews! DarkUnderlord, will you be so kind to step down (ahem, comrades point their guns at you...) and let commissar Prime Cunta take over. He and commissar Drax can't wait to purge this site of all reactionary ebil capitalist fashists and their stupid ebil capitalist, fashist games! From now, there will be only one equal thread (some threads are more visited than others, injustice!), only one subforum. Stop thread and subforum segregation! One forum, one thread, one game. Tetris, DISCUSS!!!

No truce with Furries gets canceled by central government cause despite team being 99% gomunist one of the writers turns out to be wrong kind of commie, making him enemy of revolution and game reactionary countra revolutionary propaganda. All files and assets to be erased...

:lol:
Bro, I don't think you got the point of my post...

Latelistener

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom