Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
Only true list is mine:
Kotor2
Storm of Zehir
Tyranny
PoE
MotB
NWN2
New Vegas
Rest of Obsidian garbage that I didn't play (I would only exclude Alpha Protocol from this group as that one might have potential and it is on my list to play in some future)

Prime Junta

Worth mentioning:

NV - great by any standards
Pillars - pretty good really but with some caveats
MotB - great writing and atmosphere, shit gameplay
KotOR2 - great writing and characters, ugly, shit gameplay

Everything else by them that I've played is either forgettable or good ideas completely ruined in the execution. Been nibbling at Alpha Brotocol lately, but haven't decided if it's good enough to go into the "worth mentioning" basket.

fobia

So Roguey and ArchAngel , I'm guessing SoZ is in the list because of the change of the mechanics and the overland map?

I just reinstalled it two days ago, but mostly because I want to steal some ideas for a DnD campaign in Samarach.
I liked it quite a bit when I played it on release, but never finished it. At some point in the Sword Coast I lost interest since I was already a millionaire and the quests were rater meh.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So Roguey and ArchAngel , I'm guessing SoZ is in the list because of the change of the mechanics and the overland map?

I just reinstalled it two days ago, but mostly because I want to steal some ideas for a DnD campaign in Samarach.
I liked it quite a bit when I played it on release, but never finished it. At some point in the Sword Coast I lost interest since I was already a millionaire and the quests were rater meh.
After disappointing NWN2 OC (still better than NWN1 OC by a lot) and MotB that was all story and terrible world and gameplay, SoZ was a breath of fresh air. It was closest that NWN series came to BG1 (which is my favorite IE game).

SoZ still had big problems (engine, not enough quests, small dungeons) but it was very enjoyable to me as Pen&Paper D&D player. It felt closest to a PnP campaign of all the NWN games. Also your character wasn't the chosen one.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How does your list look, Roguey?
New Vegas
Pillars of Eternity
Mask of the Betrayer
Dungeon Siege III
South Park
Alpha Protocol
Storm of Zehir
Knights of the Old Republic 2
Complete garbage
Neverwinter Nights 2

Did not play: Armored Warfare, Pathfinder Adventures, Tyranny

Eh, if we're to include all their games mine is:

1. Pillars
2. New Vegas
3. KotOR 2
4. MotB
5. SoZ
6. Pathfinder Adventures
7. NWN2
8. Alpha Protocol

Didn't and never will play:
DS3
South Park
Armored Warfare

Started a couple of times but never really felt like continuing, might finish one day:
Tyranny

Also I recognize that objectively New Vegas is a better game than Pillars, my own ranking is personal preference.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For me thats:

1. Pillars
2. MotB
3. Tyranny
4. SoZ
5. New Vegas
6. KotOR 2
7. NWN2

Haven't played AP, DS3 or the others.

himmy

Arcane
OK, enough with the irrelevant rankings, let's get that juicy wild speculation going, that's my favourite bit about this forum.

Does this mean they're almost ready to start talking about the Cain / Boyarsky thing or is it something else?

Quillon

Arcane
It'll be a console exclusive action game with light rpg elements.

Back in 2002, right after the RPG Codex was founded, you wrote an editorial on how the biggest challenge in RPG development was 'making an in-depth RPG that sells'. Allow me to quote from it:

The hardest thing to accomplish when creating an RPG is to make an in-depth RPG that sells. Now I know all you purists out there think that what's important is the quality of the game and not how much it sells, but try finding a new contract when your last game sells less than 400,000 units. The ultimate challenge for an RPG developer is to find some kind of hook that will convince the marketing dept at your prospective publisher that this really isn't a "hardcore RPG" they're going to have to sell, it's an action RPG! (My skin is already crawling.) So not only do you, as an RPG designer, have to create a compelling RPG (which is, in my opinion, one of the most difficult genres to do right) you also have to find a way to sell it as something else - or, at the very least, an RPG hybrid of some sort. But never state it's a hardcore RPG to the marketing people - it tends to give them seizures.

Now, after years working at Blizzard and seeing the market change radically (Steam, indies, Kickstarter, etc), do you believe that's still the case?

I hope not.

Guess its still the case :P

Inf0mercial

Augur
Is SoZ really that good?

I remember playing it after the nwn2 OC and just being burnt out i played motb after that and enjoyed it but never got back to SoZ.

Worth going back and finishing it? I think i was tired of the big party games and just could not get into it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom