Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Latelistener

Arcane
As far as I'm aware of, most of the Isolation team has left Creative Assembly, which means Isolation too was probably not the success Sega wanted.
Financially it wasn't really a big hit, despite positive press reviews.

That's too bad, as that team really did a pretty good job, and it's hardly their fault that the game didn't become a megahit. Far more likely that the poor quality of films in the franchise for the past 25 years has eroded a large portion of the potential playerbase. At this point, most of the people who have love and affection for the Alien franchise are at the very least 30, probably closer to 40. Sega is targeting a much more narrow age demographic than they realize.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Do we know for a fact that New Vegas wouldn't have been made if Crucible would have continued development?
No, but it would've been made without Sawyer/John Gonzalez, who were the director/lead writer on Aliens.

John Gonzalez wasn't lead writer on aliens. As far as I know.
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/4...g-is-going-to-be-so-sweet/page-20#entry915683

New creative lead on Aliens RPG

John R. Gonzalez
Lead Creative Designer, Aliens RPG at Obsidian Entertainment

Current
* Lead Creative Designer at Obsidian Entertainment

Past
* Lead Narrative Designer at Ubisoft Entertainment (Shanghai)
* Writer at Outrage Entertainment

Websites
* IGN EndWar interview

Duraframe300

Arcane
Do we know for a fact that New Vegas wouldn't have been made if Crucible would have continued development?
No, but it would've been made without Sawyer/John Gonzalez, who were the director/lead writer on Aliens.

John Gonzalez wasn't lead writer on aliens. As far as I know.
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/4...g-is-going-to-be-so-sweet/page-20#entry915683

New creative lead on Aliens RPG

John R. Gonzalez
Lead Creative Designer, Aliens RPG at Obsidian Entertainment

Current
* Lead Creative Designer at Obsidian Entertainment

Past
* Lead Narrative Designer at Ubisoft Entertainment (Shanghai)
* Writer at Outrage Entertainment

Websites
* IGN EndWar interview

Ahh, thank you.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
http://www.electronicinkblog.com/2018/01/how-i-got-into-narrative-design.html
How I got into narrative design
By: Carrie Patel

Happy New Year, everyone!

Let's ring in 2018 with a post for the first time in forever. Thanks to Bekah for getting me going!

For some background, I'm a narrative designer and writer at Obsidian Entertainment, and I've been here a little over four years. Briefly, my work involves worldbuilding/lore development, story design (at the critpath/"full game" scale and for individual quests), and lots and lots of writing in-game text: dialogue, player journal entries, items and examinables, and other player-facing text.

To be clear, it's a collaborative job. I work with a team of other narrative designers, and we frequently collaborate with other departments on the work we do. But the nature of the work is a topic all of its own!

How I Got Here

When I applied to Obsidian, I'd been writing for a while. I had not yet been professionally published, but I was working toward that goal (incidentally, I made my first novel and short story sales around the time I was hired). But I wanted to work in games, too--I'd played games most of my life and had a special fondness for their storytelling and worldbuilding potential--so I kept an eye out for openings at narrative-focused studios.

Sure enough, on one of these occasions, I noticed that Obsidian Entertainment had a posting for a contract writer. I had not previously played Obsidian's games (or Black Isle's), but I'd played a variety of other RPGs, and there was enough information in the job posting and on the Kickstarter page for Pillars of Eternity (then Project Eternity) to give me a good idea of (1) the game they were making and (2) what they were looking for in a writer. And you can bet I tailored my cover letter accordingly.

I emailed Hiring with my cover letter, my resume, a short story (this one), some references, and a link to a short Neverwinter Nights module I'd made.

A few days later, Obsidian sent me their design test, which included a few sample writing tasks and a questionnaire about my approach to game design. After I turned that in, the team got back to me to schedule a phone interview. Fun fact: my husband and I were on vacation in South Africa during the interview window, so I first talked to the team at midnight (after an afternoon of bungee jumping) from the lobby of an adorable little hotel in Oudtshoorn, an ostrich farming town.

Shortly after that, I got an offer for a full-time position!

Now, every studio is different, and "narrative design" is a fairly new field in a still-young industry. So the position will differ somewhat at every studio.

But if you're looking for advice on getting into game writing, here's what I took away from the process, though YMMV:
  • A degree in game design (or creative writing) is not a requirement. What matters is demonstrating the skills necessary for the job. In the case of narrative design, those skills include: the ability to write engaging, error-free text; the ability to incorporate a consistent sense of character and world flavor into dialogue and description; and the ability to build non-linear narrative around player choice.
  • You don't have to know someone in the industry to break in. Yes, it helps, but don't disqualify yourself if you don't have contacts.
  • You don't need extensive game engine experience, but you must be willing to learn your studio's technology. Most of the writing I do takes place in a proprietary dialogue editor that looks nothing like a word processor. I'm responsible for writing the text as well as structuring the dialogue trees and scripting various game states as they are changed and referenced in the conversation editor. Some studios will focus their writers more (or less) on pure writing, but in any case, it's definitely helpful to understand how these tools work. You don't have to be a pro modder, but it's worth gaining familiarity with game engines and/or dialogue editors.
  • There's no substitute for strong writing fundamentals. Most novelists, screenwriters, and writers of other stripes spend a lot of personal time honing their craft before they start making sales. I'm not saying you have to spend every waking second writing, but you must practice if you want to be competitive.
If you're looking for more insight, I suggest following the brilliant Jessica Price on Twitter. She's been dishing out some fabulous advice for writers interested in narrative design:

Also:

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-california-bid-become-51st-state/1036681001/
New California declares 'independence' from California in bid to become 51st state

The founders of New California took an early step toward statehood Monday with the reading of their own Declaration of Independence from California, a state they describe as "ungovernable." Their solution: Take over most of current-day California — including many rural counties — and leave the coastal urban areas to themselves. "The current state of California has become governed by a tyranny," the group, led in part by vice chairman Robert Paul Preston, declared in a document published online. The split would look something like this, per the group:

636517188742168377-011618-New-California-state-ONLINE-revised.png

"After years of over taxation, regulation, and mono-party politics the State of California and many of it’s 58 Counties have become ungovernable," the group said in a statement, citing a "decline in essential basic services" including education, law enforcement, infrastructure and health care. The group, organized with a council of county representatives and various committees, hopes to model their split after the state of West Virginia. That's according to CBS, whose Sacramento affiliate filmed the reading in a sparsely filled conference room.

Claiming the authority of Article 4, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution, the aspiring 51st state plans to convince California's Legislature to split the state before submitting the resolution to Congress.

The effort remains, to be clear, a long shot. A California venture capitalist named Tim Draper sought in 2014 to split the Golden State into six parts, including the "State of Silicon Valley." It failed to make the ballot. New California's work with regular California's state Legislature won't likely start in earnest until later this year or early next year, organizers told CBS.

“We have to demonstrate that we can govern ourselves before we are allowed to govern,” Tom Reed, a founder, told the network.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-california-bid-become-51st-state/1036681001/
New California declares 'independence' from California in bid to become 51st state

The founders of New California took an early step toward statehood Monday with the reading of their own Declaration of Independence from California, a state they describe as "ungovernable." Their solution: Take over most of current-day California — including many rural counties — and leave the coastal urban areas to themselves. "The current state of California has become governed by a tyranny," the group, led in part by vice chairman Robert Paul Preston, declared in a document published online. The split would look something like this, per the group:

"After years of over taxation, regulation, and mono-party politics the State of California and many of it’s 58 Counties have become ungovernable," the group said in a statement, citing a "decline in essential basic services" including education, law enforcement, infrastructure and health care. The group, organized with a council of county representatives and various committees, hopes to model their split after the state of West Virginia. That's according to CBS, whose Sacramento affiliate filmed the reading in a sparsely filled conference room.

Claiming the authority of Article 4, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution, the aspiring 51st state plans to convince California's Legislature to split the state before submitting the resolution to Congress.

The effort remains, to be clear, a long shot. A California venture capitalist named Tim Draper sought in 2014 to split the Golden State into six parts, including the "State of Silicon Valley." It failed to make the ballot. New California's work with regular California's state Legislature won't likely start in earnest until later this year or early next year, organizers told CBS.

“We have to demonstrate that we can govern ourselves before we are allowed to govern,” Tom Reed, a founder, told the network.

That map has Los Angeles in the wrong place for some reason; that goes to show how competent they'll be.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

That map has Los Angeles in the wrong place for some reason; that goes to show how competent they'll be.

In new California, we don't let things like geography and location interfere with our maps.

(But yeah, everything south of Santa Barbara on the coast is weird there)

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Might hear something from Boyarsky's Matt Chat interview(s). Nothing regarding Indiana in part 1 though.

Take-two behind the marketing means there'll be plenty of press when they're ready to start talking.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
every time this thread pops up in watched threads I think the cain/boyarsky project got announced..

any idea when we will hear more?
My completely unfounded answer is that it will probably be revealed during E3.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Looks like Obsidian's and Paradox' partnership lasted just PoE and Tyranny, I wonder if Tyranny's development was troubled.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wonder if Tyranny's development was troubled.
It was certainly released earlier than Obsidian would have preferred
Looking forward to whenever they inevitably confirm that companion quests, an expected feature, were planned and cut, and this was the best mess they could leave behind to salvage them.
And then we had them with the DLC.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The only thing that was really troubled about Tyranny is that Obsidian and Paradox decided to make a weird-ass game that the RPG noobs at Paradox had no idea how to market, instead of playing it safe.

Paradox can be excused for not immediately rushing to sign another deal with Obsidian, but they don't seem mad about it (see last year's PR blitz) and it's not clear to me that Obsidian wanted one anyway.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
is Sega the best publisher Obsidian has worked with?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
is Sega the best publisher Obsidian has worked with?
That would be Atari. They put up with a lot of nonsense, let 'em have a game with two expansions, and honored Bioware's insistence that Obsidian receive royalites.

Fairfax

Arcane
The only thing that was really troubled about Tyranny is that Obsidian and Paradox decided to make a weird-ass game that the RPG noobs at Paradox had no idea how to market, instead of playing it safe.
Obsidian developed the game by itself at first. Feargus' initial plan was to kickstart it in late 2014, but decided he didn't want to crowdfund a second project before releasing the first. It was only after PoE's release that they signed with Paradox.

2house2fly

Magister
Looks like Obsidian's and Paradox' partnership lasted just PoE and Tyranny, I wonder if Tyranny's development was troubled.
I don't know about development, but the post-release period was certainly not "troubled" by anyone buying the thing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom