Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Fairfax

Arcane
TB has the added benefit of being easier to port to consoles, which might mean more sales, while rtwp is a fucking nightmare to play on a controller, as the shit port of PoE proves.
For a game like PoE, perhaps, but console players like ME and DA controls just fine.

RTwP and RT/action are not in the same bag.
I didn't mean to put them in the same bag, I was saying XCOM doesn't even come close to the success either of them have.

Last RTwP mainstream hit was DAO, since then all big hits were RT and now TB with DOS2. Its RT>TB>RTwP for mainstream, nowadays.
What? The other DA games were also RTwP, plus the ME trilogy, FO3 and FNV, all of which were many times more successful than D:OS.

So if Pathfinder: Kingmaker comes out and isn't shovelware, it'll meet your criteria?
"Not shovelware" doesn't mean it's nearly as good as the IE games.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't think I'd consider ME, FO3 or FNV RTwP, when the only way to pause was to bring up the menu or (in fallout's case) enter VATS. Those are all RT games. Or am I missing something?

Fairfax

Arcane
I don't think FO3/FNV qualifies as RTwP. Why are you inserting them in that category?
It's fair to say they don't.

I don't think I'd consider ME, FO3 or FNV RTwP, when the only way to pause was to bring up the menu or (in fallout's case) enter VATS. Those are all RT games. Or am I missing something?
ME brings up a specific interface for issuing commands while combat is paused. How is it not RTwP?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's fair to say they don't.

ME brings up a specific interface for issuing commands while combat is paused. How is it not RTwP?

I honestly don't remember that at all (I must have never used the ability), but it's been years, and I will take your word for it. So I guess you were only wrong with two of the games you listed. ;)

Rev

Arcane
Mass Effect is a tps/rpg, it doesn't count as RTwP just because you can issue some very limited orders to your two companions, something that most gamers probably don't even use and is not at all necessary in order to complete the game (while it's an important part of the experience in BGs, IWDs and PoE, and you probably will have major problems getting through some battles without using the pause, unless you play on the easiest difficulty). The game plays like the typical third person shooter with covers (only it was way clunkier), which btw was very popular back then thanks to Gears of War and others.
There's a similar feature in The Witcher 2, in which you can hit a button and instead of a pause you get to slow down the game a lot as if you think what to do next, but I wouldn't count it as a RTwP rpg either, because the gameplay is action at its core (just like shooting from 3rd perspective is the core of MEs).

Dragon Age, on the other hand, is definetely RTwP, although I'd argue that it sold so much more than PoE or D:OS, not because RTwP rpgs are that popular but because BioWare was a big name at the time, it was an AAA with a far larger budget than D:OS, PoE or any other new "old school-inspired" rpgs, and also it was released on three platforms simultaneously, and some people who were fans of Mass Effect probably bought it just becase of the brand association, even if they had no idea what RTwP systems were. It was also pushed heavily by EA's marketing at the time, from what I remember. All in all, I'd say that DA:O sold a lot despite being a RTwP rpg, and not thanks to it.

Cael

Arcane
Personally, I like the Fallout Tactics style of doing things. RT until combat starts and then it is TB. Of course, FOT wasn't created by one of the big guys, so that was probably why the mechanics was so good, even if the rest of it is questionable.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thing is, we are still to get a good tb combat crpg in recent years, the divinity games had terrible combat, wasteland was shit, shadowrun was too simple to be interesting as it was designed to work on mobiles first.

Underrail says hi!

Of course, it's not party-based.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think expedition games has good squad based combat

Alvora/voidspire are pretty great. It is like divinity without all the idiocy that came by swen's brain mutation.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Most importantly, the ME games allow you to aim while paused, so I believe it's fair to describe them as real time with pause action games. Not even Alpha Protocol allows that, unless you're chainshotting.

"Not shovelware" doesn't mean it's nearly as good as the IE games.

What is "good"? According to Classic Codex consensus, Baldur's Gate wasn't.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Most importantly, the ME games allow you to aim while paused, so I believe it's fair to describe them as real time with pause action games. Not even Alpha Protocol allows that, unless you're chainshotting.

What is "good"? According to Classic Codex consensus, Baldur's Gate wasn't.

Wat

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'd say Tyranny's biggest problem is easily that it needed at least another year of development. There's so much obviously cut and rushed content in it that I'm surprised it was nearly as well received as it ended up being. Sith Lords felt more complete than Tyranny did before Bastard's Wound.

PoE 1.0 < Tyranny 1.0 < Tyranny + BW < PoE + TWM

IMO

Rev

Arcane
Is "Classic Codex" a specific subgroup here? Because BG1 got 17th in the Codex Top 70.
He probably just means that most of the old users don't like BG series very much and were always vocal about it. One of them being Vault Dweller himself.

agris

Arcane
Patron
He probably just means that most of the old users don't like BG series very much and were always vocal about it. One of them being Vault Dweller himself.
I'm from 2004 and played BG1 when it was released, and it remains one of my favorite games to this day. Much more so than PoE.

Trashos

Arcane
The interview is not bad at all for young people who are thinking of entering the industry. I undid my "decline" rating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom